The Student Room Group

Macdonaldss problem....:s

Hi Guys, this is for my cousin, so shes going to be takin over this thread, any help you can give her would be much obliged:

Okay, so maybe Im stressing about something not worth stressing about, but gosh I really need a job. I am going to uni in September 2013 (already deferred entry). So I want a job for the gap year. Macdonalds have offered my an interview but...

I have 4 weeks holiday that is already booked. Should I tell them that in the interview or should I lie and say its unavoidable?

Be honest, I have no chance of getting a job there if I need holiday do i? :s-smilie: !
Reply 1
Original post by nash_4_lyf

Hi Guys, this is for my cousin, so shes going to be takin over this thread, any help you can give her would be much obliged:

Okay, so maybe Im stressing about something not worth stressing about, but gosh I really need a job. I am going to uni in September 2013 (already deferred entry). So I want a job for the gap year. Macdonalds have offered my an interview but...

I have 4 weeks holiday that is already booked. Should I tell them that in the interview or should I lie and say its unavoidable?

Be honest, I have no chance of getting a job there if I need holiday do i? :s-smilie: !

Just tell them you have a holiday booked and if you can get some time off during?
You could not disclose it at first, but they're going to have to know at some point. You can't just not turn up for 4 weeks. Well, you can, but you won't be keeping your job.

Best just to let them know, and if they aren't prepared to give you the job then you'll just have to find another one. Never lie to an employer, it never turns out well.
Reply 2
Original post by lsaul95
Just tell them you have a holiday booked and if you can get some time off during?
You could not disclose it at first, but they're going to have to know at some point. You can't just not turn up for 4 weeks. Well, you can, but you won't be keeping your job.

Best just to let them know, and if they aren't prepared to give you the job then you'll just have to find another one. Never lie to an employer, it never turns out well.

Okay thankyou :smile: Ill deffo tell the truth if they ask me. Apparently macdonalds are meant to honour any holidays booked, but I dont believe they'll take me on with 4 weeks holiday...but we shall see. x
Reply 3
Original post by nash_4_lyf
Okay thankyou :smile: Ill deffo tell the truth if they ask me. Apparently macdonalds are meant to honour any holidays booked, but I dont believe they'll take me on with 4 weeks holiday...but we shall see. x

You never know! :smile: Good luck!
Reply 4
All employers are supposed to honor any "pre-booked" holidays. They can't exactly not hire you because you have holidays booked, but personally I'd get through your first two stages, then do the orientation, then mention to your AM/Manager that you have a holiday booked and you need dates > x to x < off.

Just make sure it's not within your first week or two, but at the same time, I wouldnt do it within the first 13 weeks being as it is a probation period.
Reply 5
My cousin got through the first bit, and she has orientation on tuesday. My mum told her to tell the boss that shes wiling to do the holiday unpaid...

Good idea or not?
You get paid hourly at McDonald's anyway. If you are not there, you don't get paid. I will also say that they want someone there and in the job - not being there for a month is a very long time. In full time work most employers wouldn't expect people to take a month off at a time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending