The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by adam0311
Yeah, it wasn't one of the elite boutiques. I am only starting as a second year, so I couldn't swing one of the big players as a first year.

Wish they'd provide feedback of sorts. As a comparison (and one of the reasons I don't think something was wrong with my application)--last week, I applied for something with Bain Capital in the states, and had an interview lined up with them the following day. I know its not law, but the same concept.

I'm leaning towards something with my cover letter or grades (perhaps they want a higher 2.1 or first?). Although its essentially the same cover letter (with updates obviously) I used to secure 2 vac schemes from last year + the Linklaters 2 day insight.

And LOL@analogy

Your CV sounds very impressive. I'm sure your level of experience is almost unparalleled.

I think, if you don't mind me saying so, that recycling covering letters is a great risk. The way I see it, you should tailor it to the Firm in a way that renders it useless for applications to other Firms.

Sorry, though. That's tough luck.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 81
Hey, how many vac schemes are you guys thinking of applying to? I've been told by some to choose 5 or 6 and others have said to do as many as possible - any ideas on what is actually the most successful approach?! Other than doing a decent app of course.

Also, do GCSE results still matter?! Mine were decent (mostly A's and A*) apart from getting a C in Maths (eeek so embarrassing, I know) I have since gone on to get high 1st's in Finance modules etc. (non-law grad), and I worked a year at PwC in audit, so my numerical ability has improved (!) but could this be why I'm not getting through the 'filter' system on some applications?!!
Yeah, it wasn't one of the elite boutiques. I am only starting as a second year, so I couldn't swing one of the big players as a first year.

Wish they'd provide feedback of sorts. As a comparison (and one of the reasons I don't think something was wrong with my application)--last week, I applied for something with Bain Capital in the states, and had an interview lined up with them the following day. I know its not law, but the same concept.

I'm leaning towards something with my cover letter or grades (perhaps they want a higher 2.1 or first?). Although its essentially the same cover letter (with updates obviously) I used to secure 2 vac schemes from last year + the Linklaters 2 day insight.

And LOL@analogy

Impressive CV but yes, I agree with Paine above. It is likely that the mistake you made was using 'essentially the same' cover letter as you used for other firms.

At this level, firms want to see that you've researched them and can clearly articulate why you'd want to work for them in particular(even if just for a vac scheme). For a firm like JD, you'd want to be talking about specifics like their non-rotational training program- not just mentioning it but also highlighting how you think that it would suit you as a person. Basically, you want to show in all your apps that you're willing to do more than the bare minimum.

All the best with the rest of your apps! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Mattup
Hey, how many vac schemes are you guys thinking of applying to? I've been told by some to choose 5 or 6 and others have said to do as many as possible - any ideas on what is actually the most successful approach?! Other than doing a decent app of course.

Also, do GCSE results still matter?! Mine were decent (mostly A's and A*) apart from getting a C in Maths (eeek so embarrassing, I know) I have since gone on to get high 1st's in Finance modules etc. (non-law grad), and I worked a year at PwC in audit, so my numerical ability has improved (!) but could this be why I'm not getting through the 'filter' system on some applications?!!

Last year for a variety of factors I only did two applications. This year it is my main focus and I plan on going for as many as possible. Looking to focus on the winter ones until all of those deadlines have passed and then moving onto Easter and Summer.

As for GCSE results I am not sure. At a guess I think a C at GCSE could lead to you being filtered out by some firms. Sorry to say it but I think that is the harsh reality these days.

Best of luck though!
Reply 84
Original post by bramz19
I liked it. Really really liked it. Sent off an application this morning.

They didn't reveal too much which I didn't know already by reading the literature and various other things online tbh. In terms of firm culture, JD seems to take a lot of pride in being a big firm with an intimate atmosphere and a non-hierarchical system, and the unique training system means that trainees are generally go-getters. The application process is very straightforward. The one bit of advice about applying I got from the head of Grad Recruitment was to "be interesting" in the cover letter. I'm usually pretty cynical about law firms wanting "interesting" people, but she really stressed it, so I jazzed my cover letter up a bit (only slightly though). Hope that helps!

Hey

Oh that's great! Glad you had a good time.

Okay that's cool, I was starting to gather that impression from reading around. Oh that's interesting (dammit can't think of another word now) advice! How the hell do you make a 250 word cover letter interesting especially when the word can mean so many different things!!! This cover letter will be a challenge haha. I've got to wait for an outstanding exam mark before I can send mine off. Hopefully the end of next week won't be too late to send it off.

Thank you so so much for getting back to me :smile:.
Reply 85
Hey guys,

I haven't really read this entire thread so excuse me if I'm asking a question that has already been asked. Anyway, I just wanted to ask- how many vacation schemes are you applying to? I'm thinking of applying to 8.. Is that too much?

Cheers!
Reply 86
Original post by nj195
I haven't really read this entire thread so excuse me if I'm asking a question that has already been asked. Anyway, I just wanted to ask- how many vacation schemes are you applying to? I'm thinking of applying to 8.. Is that too much?

This question gets asked so often by so many people, and yet the answer is so simple, it baffles me why--as if there's some arbitrary limit on how many you can apply for.

Think about this question as a simple cost benefit analysis: 1. what does it cost? 2. what do you gain? 1. It costs you nothing (but time, which is free and plentiful); 2. you could gain a job, or a vacation scheme that leads to a job. Id est, the risks are asymmetric: there is no downside risk, only upside potential.

The answer, then, is to make a list of all the schemes which you are eligible for (depending on what stage of education you are at): then rank those firms in order of your interest / preference / salary. Then apply to as many as you feel you physically can stomach (preferably all), taking as much time as necessary over each one to make it as good as you can.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: applying for jobs is like hitting on women--it's a numbers game.
Reply 87
Original post by Brevity
This question gets asked so often by so many people, and yet the answer is so simple, it baffles me why--as if there's some arbitrary limit on how many you can apply for.

Think about this question as a simple cost benefit analysis: 1. what does it cost? 2. what do you gain? 1. It costs you nothing (but time, which is free and plentiful); 2. you could gain a job, or a vacation scheme that leads to a job. Id est, the risks are asymmetric: there is no downside risk, only upside potential.

The answer, then, is to make a list of all the schemes which you are eligible for (depending on what stage of education you are at): then rank those firms in order of your interest / preference / salary. Then apply to as many as you feel you physically can stomach (preferably all), taking as much time as necessary over each one to make it as good as you can.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: applying for jobs is like hitting on women--it's a numbers game.

My agreement with the above is somewhat qualified. NEVER recycle covering letters or even answers to questions on application forms.

The trick to answering the question well is to show your answer to someone and ask them to tell you what they think you are answering. If it is way off what the actual question was, you should be rewriting.

So long as you have the time to do that for as many Firms as you can, do try to apply to as many as you can.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi all. Non law grad in for the party.
Reply 89

And LOL@analogy

Just out of interest, what did you apply for at BainCap?
Reply 90
Anyone applied for the S+M winter workshop and heard back yet?
Reply 91
Original post by ITM
Just out of interest, what did you apply for at BainCap?

I really object to that shortening. Barcap was here first.
Reply 92
Hi everyone,

non law applicant here! Only a week and a bit to go before most VC's open.

Anyone got any advice on how to research a firm? For example: What type of things will you be looking for when you visit the firm's website or brochures? And how will you demonstrate this in the application?
I've got a list of about 15 that I want to apply for but I think ill just be applying to as many as I have time for. I agree with Brevity and Paine1, its just a numbers game.
Original post by AuburnGem
Well in that case I don't have a hope in hell. Same as you bramz, might just do it anyway to get into the swing of things and for practice.

Of course you have a chance. No offence to the poster you quoted, but don't be put off on this forum by the amount of ****-swinging that takes place, it gets incredible sometimes! And I don't just mean on thestudentroom.co.uk - on my vac scheme, there were one or two awful people who just kept bragging about the number of schemes they were doing that summer. Concentrate on what YOU are doing.

I hadn't done any formal or legal work experience ever when I applied for vac schemes and I still got interviews and ultimately a scheme (and ultimately a TC ). I think targeting the firm and knowing its strengths and its current strategy is SO much more important than reeling off ''I have done internships every year since I was 13''. Target, target and target - it works! Find a firm you genuinely like and are impressed with and market yourself to its business needs. Get on open days, go to networking events (no matter how tiring they are) work hard for your exams and get good grades and you'll be fine. Also show you can work in a team and have outside interests other than law is important too.
On top of that, had ties to Jones Day and have American citizenship.

So? What does your citizenship status have to do with being a strong enough candidate capable of landing a training contract?
Reply 95
Original post by suffocation1992
So? What does your citizenship status have to do with being a strong enough candidate capable of landing a training contract?

Sorry you were offended. I was simply listing as much info as I could about my application and thought it might be relevant for an American firm.
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry you were offended. I was simply listing as much info as I could about my application and thought it might be relevant for an American firm.

I'm not offended, I already have my TC. I just thought I'd pull you up on posting nonsense for the sake of others.
Reply 97
Original post by suffocation1992
I'm not offended, I already have my TC. I just thought I'd pull you up on posting nonsense for the sake of others.

The internet is serious business, apparently.
Reply 98
Original post by Mr.IL
Hi everyone,

non law applicant here! Only a week and a bit to go before most VC's open.

Anyone got any advice on how to research a firm? For example: What type of things will you be looking for when you visit the firm's website or brochures? And how will you demonstrate this in the application?
I've got a list of about 15 that I want to apply for but I think ill just be applying to as many as I have time for. I agree with Brevity and Paine1, its just a numbers game.

Look at the size of the firm, is it a UK or American one, how many practice areas it has and which are the strongest, is there anything specific about its training program you like (choice of seats, going abroad, etc)..
Reply 99
Original post by Caroline_
Look at the size of the firm, is it a UK or American one, how many practice areas it has and which are the strongest, is there anything specific about its training program you like (choice of seats, going abroad, etc)..

Cheers Caroline for the reply! What you wrote sounds very logical but I just have a few concerns about research.
Most people are going to be using the same resources, mainly the brochures, the websites and publications like lex100 and chambers guide. But is tht actually enough? Ive also tried stuff like reading law news on legalweek etc. If everyone is using the same resources then arent the applications all going to be realy similar?

And when i look at stuff like its training programme for different firms they all seem incredibly similar. And tbh how they structure stuff like that doesnt really affect whether or not ill apply lol.

But what i really want to know is what else can I do to research a firm without actually knowing the intricacies of the deals they do. How can I show a firm that im interested with a few limited resources that everyone can have access to? Im not sure if i've articulated this well enough xD Soz.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending