The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2013 GET ON IT EARLY!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Mr.IL
Cheers Caroline for the reply! What you wrote sounds very logical but I just have a few concerns about research.
Most people are going to be using the same resources, mainly the brochures, the websites and publications like lex100 and chambers guide. But is tht actually enough? Ive also tried stuff like reading law news on legalweek etc. If everyone is using the same resources then arent the applications all going to be realy similar?

And when i look at stuff like its training programme for different firms they all seem incredibly similar. And tbh how they structure stuff like that doesnt really affect whether or not ill apply lol.

But what i really want to know is what else can I do to research a firm without actually knowing the intricacies of the deals they do. How can I show a firm that im interested with a few limited resources that everyone can have access to? Im not sure if i've articulated this well enough xD Soz.

Nope I have exactly the same concerns. I think you have to be creative and individual in how you get that same information across. Personalise it to the firm and to yourself I guess.
Reply 101
Original post by Mr.IL
Cheers Caroline for the reply! What you wrote sounds very logical but I just have a few concerns about research.
Most people are going to be using the same resources, mainly the brochures, the websites and publications like lex100 and chambers guide. But is tht actually enough? Ive also tried stuff like reading law news on legalweek etc. If everyone is using the same resources then arent the applications all going to be realy similar?

And when i look at stuff like its training programme for different firms they all seem incredibly similar. And tbh how they structure stuff like that doesnt really affect whether or not ill apply lol.

But what i really want to know is what else can I do to research a firm without actually knowing the intricacies of the deals they do. How can I show a firm that im interested with a few limited resources that everyone can have access to? Im not sure if i've articulated this well enough xD Soz.

So your question is, since everyone is exactly the same, how can I be better?
Reply 102
Original post by Mr.IL

First, be aware that a lot of people rush through the application forms, so even by writing here and thinking from now about apps, you're already doing something extra. :smile:

About research, of course the best thing would be meeting people from grad recruitment or trainees at the firm and getting information from them.

I found very useful watching videos from the websites with interviews of different partners and trainees...You can also just type the name of the firm in google and look for interviews given for other websites. I stumbled upon a couple of these and found them helpful.
My advice would be: find something different about each firm and then don't simply repeat it but try to relate it to yourself and why you would be a good fit. For example, it can be strength of a particular practice group which you find interesting or office location in a country with which you have some connection.
Reply 103
Original post by adam0311
Looks like Jones Day will be tough this year. Got a rejection today. Applied last week.

For reference:
Academics: Durham (law) with a 2:1 so far. A-level equivalents were equivalent to AAAA.
Work experience: Law-related internships every summer since 13 (including commercial real estate, civil litigation, and personal injury). Also did a vacation scheme at a top city firm this year, 6 months as a legal assistant, and was most recently a summer analyst for an investment bank (M&A advisory).
Extracurriculars: Tons of extracurriculars, with 3 strong leadership roles and tons of volunteering.

On top of that, had ties to Jones Day and have American citizenship.

Ah, sorry to hear that!

If you don't mind me asking, did you get an email from them saying that they'd asked for an academic reference?
Original post by StyloCon
Ah, sorry to hear that!

If you don't mind me asking, did you get an email from them saying that they'd asked for an academic reference?

Thanks!

Nope. But I do recall listing one in the application.
Reply 105
Thanks!

Nope. But I do recall listing one in the application.

Hmm, ok, thanks.

I submitted my application last Friday and got an email from them today saying that they'd asked for an academic reference. Which I suppose is probably a good sign. Hopefully.
Reply 106
Hmm, ok, thanks.

I submitted my application last Friday and got an email from them today saying that they'd asked for an academic reference. Which I suppose is probably a good sign. Hopefully.

I think that probably is good news! :smile:
By last Friday do you mean 21st?
Hmm, ok, thanks.

Did you include one in your initial application?
Reply 108
Original post by AuburnGem
I think that probably is good news! :smile:
By last Friday do you mean 21st?

Yep :smile:

Did you include one in your initial application?

I did. Presumably they've emailed my Tutor about it today. I've got a meeting with him tomorrow morning so I guess I'll find out.
(edited 11 years ago)

I did. Presumably they've emailed my Tutor about it today. I've got a meeting with him tomorrow morning so I guess I'll find out.

Sounds like good news to me! Certainly better than mine...Good luck!
Reply 110

Well that was really quick! Good luck. Let us know how it goes :smile:
Reply 111
I got that email as well, sometime last week. Bit worried though as my old tutor is notoriously useless at this kind of thing!
Hi there, 3rd year (scots) law student. Ahhhh. I nearly burst out crying realising I only have one more year after this one of uni.

I don't want to be a grown up. But anyway, I'm going to start applying for summer 13 vac schemes. Everywhere I'm looking seems to be opening their applications in oct/nov. So I have exactly a month to get as much work experience as humanly possible. Fun.
Original post by lyrical_lie
Hi there, 3rd year (scots) law student. Ahhhh. I nearly burst out crying realising I only have one more year after this one of uni.

I don't want to be a grown up. But anyway, I'm going to start applying for summer 13 vac schemes. Everywhere I'm looking seems to be opening their applications in oct/nov. So I have exactly a month to get as much work experience as humanly possible. Fun.

Hurray, a Scots student. :king1: I was feeling slightly outnumbered by our dear English counterparts.

Have you made a decision on what firms you'll be aiming for?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
A Scots student. :king1: I was feeling slightly outnumbered by our dear English counterparts.

Have you made a decision on what firms you'll be aiming for?

Hell yea we'll start a club.

And oh dear. I didn't know I was supposed to. My aim is whoever will take me. I shall apply to everyone. My grades aren't the best and that's what is terrifying me the most.
Reply 115
Original post by Brevity
So your question is, since everyone is exactly the same, how can I be better?

Yeah, so basically what Im asking is: what can I actually do to stand out rather than just give a generic and boring answer xDDD Time is running out lol. Only a few days to go before vac scheme applications open! eeeekkkk.
Reply 116
Original post by Caroline_
First, be aware that a lot of people rush through the application forms, so even by writing here and thinking from now about apps, you're already doing something extra. :smile:

About research, of course the best thing would be meeting people from grad recruitment or trainees at the firm and getting information from them.

I found very useful watching videos from the websites with interviews of different partners and trainees...You can also just type the name of the firm in google and look for interviews given for other websites. I stumbled upon a couple of these and found them helpful.
My advice would be: find something different about each firm and then don't simply repeat it but try to relate it to yourself and why you would be a good fit. For example, it can be strength of a particular practice group which you find interesting or office location in a country with which you have some connection.

Thank you! Your replies are really helpful ^_^
If anyone is worrying about their uni grades. I got a 2.2 in my first year but a 2.1 overall in my law degree. I contacted magic circle firms to see if this would hinder any applications and they encouraged me to apply. A 2.1 overrall is the crucial thing, don't get put off by putting yourself down.
Did anyone apply for Jones Day? I applied on Wednesday morning, so I suppose I will hear something next week.
Original post by Mr.IL
Yeah, so basically what Im asking is: what can I actually do to stand out rather than just give a generic and boring answer xDDD Time is running out lol. Only a few days to go before vac scheme applications open! eeeekkkk.

I wouldn't worry about the fact applications are opening next week. It's casually known that your application is still fine if you get it in by Christmas by the latest. I think January is a bit too late. I wouldn't send applications off too early, remember there will be lots of events from now until Christmas put on by law firms which you could add as work experience or get to know the firms better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending