The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bibs_x
:eek: So....he raped her and none of the passengers helped the woman? They just sat there and let it happen? That is just wrong :frown: And creepy!

No, the woman didn't have enough money to pay the fair so got told to get off the bus. Bus drove away. Woman starts to walk after calling her mother to come and collect her. Rapist attacks. No one saw it happen. I would like to think that if the woman was attacked in full view of the passengers that the bus driver would stop and the passengers would get off and help.
Look, you can't blame the bus driver, as he didn't know what would happen to her, and if he'd start by letting people on without enough money to pay for it, the number of people without enough money on the bus would skyrocket.

Obviously, you can blame the rapist.
Original post by Aaron_xyz
Would you say that about a muscly 6'6 Russian guy with an eyepatch and knife scars on his face who was 20p short off his bus fare?

No, because he is not at all at the risk of sexual assault. I know it's discrimination, but it's fair. I wouldn't expect to be allowed on in a situation like this, but my girlfriend should be as she is more vulnerable.
Reply 123
Original post by Happydude
No, because he is not at all at the risk of sexual assault. I know it's discrimination, but it's fair. I wouldn't expect to be allowed on in a situation like this, but my girlfriend should be as she is more vulnerable.

But threats are of varying sizes and intentions, and sexual assault isn't the only kind to be feared. Walking home at 3am you could run into 10 lads who are intent on beating the crap out of you, and you'd be in as much danger as the girl of the article. If measures are going to be taken to prevent this kind of thing happening again they have to protect everyone if they're to have any credibility.
Reply 124
Haha I read the title completely wrong.

Sad case nevertheless
Reply 125
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
No, the woman didn't have enough money to pay the fair so got told to get off the bus. Bus drove away. Woman starts to walk after calling her mother to come and collect her. Rapist attacks. No one saw it happen. I would like to think that if the woman was attacked in full view of the passengers that the bus driver would stop and the passengers would get off and help.

That seems more plausible, although still incredibly horrible :frown: I was going to say - what sort of bystanders would refuse to help a woman being raped anyway? :confused:
People insinuating or outright suggesting that it was somehow her fault for not having the money, ( or that she was at least at contributory fault), how utterly disgraceful of you.

She made a simple mistake, she was 20p short, an error that could happen to any of us.

The bus driver and passengers should have shown a scrap of humanity and have appreciated the vulnerable position a young girl would have been in by being forced to walk home alone at the early hours of the morning. Would he have let his daughter walked home like that? There was a stranger in need, and nobody helped.

The issue is that so many women do not come forward to prosecute against rapists and keep there suffering silent because of the judgmental discourse that floats around rape cases. Support and sympathy is what these victims need, not some ignorant and callous comment about how certain scenarios and behaviors "ask for it". Rape, by definition, is NOT asking for it.
Original post by SanityinVanity
People insinuating or outright suggesting that it was somehow her fault for not having the money, ( or that she was at least at contributory fault), how utterly disgraceful of you.

She made a simple mistake, she was 20p short, an error that could happen to any of us.

The bus driver and passengers should have shown a scrap of humanity and have appreciated the vulnerable position a young girl would have been in by being forced to walk home alone at the early hours of the morning. Would he have let his daughter walked home like that? There was a stranger in need, and nobody helped.

This makes absolutely no sense. You are suggesting that the bus driver and passengers were somehow at fault for making a vulnerable woman walk around alone at night.

So that is the same as saying that you believe women who voluntarily walk alone at night are contributing to their own rape, despite the fact your first paragraph says you think that's a disgusting suggestion.
Reply 128
Original post by King-Panther
Regardless of knowing if she was going to be raped or not, I would still lend her the money. From now on, I will insha-allah lend it to anyone (male or female).

Can I have some free money bro
I don't understand why she didn't pay less money to get off a stop or 2 away from where she wanted and then walked..
There Is another GROUP who have just as much as blame as anyone
That's the people who try to scam there way on to buses and it's because people like them that this genuine, desperate, innocent girl couldn't get onto the bus :ashamed2:
Original post by SanityinVanity

The bus driver and passengers should have shown a scrap of humanity
and have appreciated the vulnerable position a young girl would have been in by being forced to walk home alone at the early hours of the morning. Would he have let his daughter walked home like that? There was a stranger in need, and nobody helped.

The issue is that so many women do not come forward to prosecute against rapists and keep there suffering silent because of the judgmental discourse that floats around rape cases. Support and sympathy is what these victims need, not some ignorant and callous comment about how certain scenarios and behaviors "ask for it". Rape, by definition, is NOT asking for it.

Would you say that about a muscly 6'6 Russian guy with an eyepatch and knife scars on his face who didn't have 20p for the bus fare?
Reply 132
what the ..... :/

scary stuff :frown:

As if everyone on the bus was just watching when she was begging the bus driver to let her in at that time of night! Couldn't anyone just give her 20p :/

The guilt they must all be feeling now!

Although, £5 is ridiculous for a bus fare! :O
Reply 133
Original post by TurboCretin
What does the bus fare have to do with anything? I'm sure someone would've given her 20p if the guy had literally been about to rape her outside the bus. It's just retrospective 'what if'-ing.

Not being able to get on the bus is her fault. Her being raped is the rapist's fault.

True, but that's no good to her when the rape's actually happening. If someone is stranded miles from home at 3am it's no good saying 'Tough, it's your own fault that you're stranded, but don't worry, if you happen to be brutally raped we'll do everything to catch them - until then, you're on your own', measures have to be taken to prevent it happening. Rape isn't like burglary where the Police get your stuff back and everything is cool again (an exaggeration, but I'm sure you get my point), rapes leaves very serious emotional and psychological scars. I personally cannot bear the idea of standing idly aside and leaving vulnerable people on the street at night at the mercy of scum like Joseph Moran, and offering help only after they've been attacked, it's way too late at that point.
Original post by Aaron_xyz
Would you say that about a muscly 6'6 Russian guy with an eyepatch and knife scars on his face who didn't have 20p for the bus fare?

Because the drivers gonna say no to a muscly 6'6 Russian guy with an eyepatch and knife scars on his face. :rolleyes:

They dont even dare to ask school kids to stop smoking. Exept women for some reason. Every arsey jobsworth bus driver ive ever encountered has been a woman. :s-smilie:
Original post by green.tea
Because the drivers gonna say no to a muscly 6'6 Russian guy with an eyepatch and knife scars on his face. :rolleyes:

They dont even dare to ask school kids to stop smoking. Exept women for some reason. Every arsey jobsworth bus driver ive ever encountered has been a woman. :s-smilie:

Ditto
In terms of who's to blame I'd say it's the rapist, although it is pretty stupid to not ensure you have enough bus fare.
Original post by Craig_D
I'm vaguely familiar with the bus in question and her fare was definitely not £5, so I think the DM have got their wires crossed. The bus has a charge of £4.80 for going all the way from Nottingham to Chesterfield, 25 miles away. In the article it says she lived 20 minutes drive away, so I'm guessing that she may have been getting off at Ravenshead or at a push Mansfield, which would be more like £2-3.50. In the article they show a picture of a bus stop that the bus does not even stop at (and claim it's the one where she was kicked off), so I'm skeptical of their reporting.

Looks like it's an error then since you're familiar with the route! Yeah it did seem a bit steep for a 14 mile journey.
Original post by Potential Trigger
Looks like it's an error then since you're familiar with the route! Yeah it did seem a bit steep for a 14 mile journey.

An error? Given the source is the Daily Mail, I'm assuming its their characteristic obfuscating of facts to support their sensationalist agenda...:rolleyes:
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
In terms of who's to blame I'd say it's the rapist, although it is pretty stupid to not ensure you have enough bus fare.

I don't think many people would expect such a steep bus fare.

Latest

Trending

Trending