The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Spanish Unit 3 12/06/12

Scroll to see replies

I dont know if anyone else had problems with the reading and writing, where you had to put in letters and it was to do with immigrants and how they benefit the economy etc...
Reply 41
some bits i thought were okay and other ones i was literally like say whaaat?
i don't think my essay was great, i did the main ideas that appear in the work of the author and how they are relevant to people today..
found the spanish to english translation very tricky and that article on the advantages of immigration difficult as well!
some of the listening was a bit dodgy too.. god saying all this makes me just think massive fail!
Reply 42
Original post by interfan123
I dont know if anyone else had problems with the reading and writing, where you had to put in letters and it was to do with immigrants and how they benefit the economy etc...

yesss i found that really tricky!
Original post by languagegeek
Can I ask what points you wrote for this essay? Because I answered the same question but I am worried that I didn't really answer the question.

I did Almodovar and explained how his use of colour, intertextuality and music involved the audience and made his film and him successful

I wrote abooout...
The prizes that Volver has won, and how that relates to it being a success with both the general public and critics, the themes he uses (colours,women,returning) and how they give the film more depth which makes it more successful.. uuhh.. how his films are generally controversial and related this back to Volver, saying how it makes them more interesting but also gives a social commentary on Spain.

Does that stuff make sense? o__o I had a hard time relating it to being successful AND why I liked it, but I tried to keep it only to Volver as from past papers we've seen linking it to more than one film ends up getting less marks generally... aah!
Everyone seems to have done Almodovar :frown:

did ANYONE do Cuba? preferably question 11b ? :smile:
Reply 45
Can I ask what points you wrote for this essay? Because I answered the same question but I am worried that I didn't really answer the question.

I did Almodovar and explained how his use of colour, intertextuality and music involved the audience and made his film and him successful

I did the same question as you but the film I talked about was Pan's Labyrinth. I talked about the special effects, the use of a young girl as the main character and the use of colour and talked about the audience as well. I wish I didn't do the film question though :frown: I hope it all made sense, haha. I hope your essay went well too!
Reply 46
One thing which I would like a second opinion on is in the listening question about the endangered birds, what did you change in the last sentence? I changed 'vayan' to 'llamen' but other people I spoke to changed 'ruega' at the start of the sentence?
Original post by VickyDoodle
I wrote abooout...
The prizes that Volver has won, and how that relates to it being a success with both the general public and critics, the themes he uses (colours,women,returning) and how they give the film more depth which makes it more successful.. uuhh.. how his films are generally controversial and related this back to Volver, saying how it makes them more interesting but also gives a social commentary on Spain.

Does that stuff make sense? o__o I had a hard time relating it to being successful AND why I liked it, but I tried to keep it only to Volver as from past papers we've seen linking it to more than one film ends up getting less marks generally... aah!

Wow that all sounds really good! I'm impressed you managed to write all of that in the time. It seems like you really answered the question as well.

I started of with saying how Almodovar uses colour to reflect the spanish culture, making his film successful because it establishes a setting and makes it more believable, whilst bringing audience in to world of film (thinking now this looks like a really weak point : / )

Then I said how he also uses colours to reflect personalities of characters, which makes his film sucessful because he makes fully round and developed characters and involves audience

I then said how he uses intertextuality in his film with the cortometraje "Amante Menguante" (Im doing "Hable con Ella" in detail), showing his range of skills as a successful director and also to cover the fact that Benigno is a rapist, manipulating audience to admire him. I argued that only a talented and successful director could do this.

Then I did music and said how he manages to make the audience feel the character's emotions, which is why he is successful.

I estabished in both introduction and conclusion that i thought he was successful because of the techniques that he uses and how he uses them, do you think that this is ok? I am really worried
Reply 48
Original post by livvyp
One thing which I would like a second opinion on is in the listening question about the endangered birds, what did you change in the last sentence? I changed 'vayan' to 'llamen' but other people I spoke to changed 'ruega' at the start of the sentence?

I agree with changing vayan to llamen.
Reply 49
Original post by Sem193

Phew! I think they changed 'ruega' to 'pide' or something but isnt that the same thing?

I estabished in both introduction and conclusion that i thought he was successful because of the techniques that he uses and how he uses them, do you think that this is ok? I am really worried

Sounds good to me! I hated Hable Con Ella, haha, couldn't bear to write about it. At least with Almodóvar we had a lot of stuff to write about :P
Original post by Sem193

I did the same :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by livvyp
Phew! I think they changed 'ruega' to 'pide' or something but isnt that the same thing?

They are the same :smile:

I did the same :smile:

Cool!
Reply 53
Exam wasn't that hard as long as you'd revised vocab and essay questions were actually ok, thank god! Surprised myself by writing 6 pages for the essay though :rolleyes:
Original post by livvyp

I put the same thing.

I reckon it's 'llamen' as 'ruega' can mean 'request', and in the clip (I think) it said 'pedimos', so it was basically the same thing.

'Llamen' is different to 'vayan', so I'd say that was right. I hope so anyway!
Reply 55
Original post by Sem193

Same here, had to listen a couple of times though! :smile:
Reply 56
I found the listening a lot harder than in previous years but it's possible that that will work in our favour.

It was generally a more difficult exam but I feel like I coped alright with it. I wasn't happy with the translations but I think they could have been a lot worse.

The only thing I'm actually happy with was the essay, however it's possible that I wrote it too generally even though I did try to focus it on success.

We'll see in August I guess!
Reply 57
Thankyou for you opinions! Another one I've just remember is that don Miguel guy or whoever he was talking about immigrants coming to Spain, did you put he used to be a 'militar profesional' or whatever it said? Because I heard the word ejercito so I put that but wasnt sure if it was the translator one?
Reply 58
Original post by Sem193

Yeah i think it must have been changing vayan to llamen, otherwise it would have been changing ruega from the verb rogar to pide from the verb pedir, both of which mean to ask
Reply 59
Original post by livvyp
Thankyou for you opinions! Another one I've just remember is that don Miguel guy or whoever he was talking about immigrants coming to Spain, did you put he used to be a 'militar profesional' or whatever it said? Because I heard the word ejercito so I put that but wasnt sure if it was the translator one?

I put militar profesional because I hard ejercito too and the others didn't fit with what he said. The first one said he worked as something for a short time, whilst he talked about working as something for a long time and the other one was talking about him working in schools and that wasn't true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending