The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2013!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Is anyone else applying to Sheffield for the Structural Engineering and Architecture Course? Anyone remember from open day/or know how many people apply for the amount of places?
Reply 81
Original post by lzbthcrk
Hey!

Im applying to Cardiff, Sheffield, UCL, Bath and Oxford Brookes :smile: I'm not planning on having a gap year but I am applying for art foundation also just as a back up...

Pretty nervous about applying!! I really want to get into Cardiff and Sheffield and there are like 1000 applicants and only 60 places or something like that... How's everyone's portfolio and ucas stuff going?

Lizzie x

My UCAS form is almost done, just doing my personal statement and changing it (over and over).
Not done anything for my portfolio yet !! Was planning on doing some quick sketches and then submitted life drawing images (done with school) and some of my a-level art. Possibly a painting I've (almost) done for my mum :tongue: I'm assuming it needs to be full of sketches though?? :smile:
Reply 82
Guys, anyone would like to apply for Cambridge or UCL? I am not sure which one to apply, as they are both competitive and brilliant? Who is going to apply,and which are you choosing?XD
Reply 83
I'm not even considering them because of my toefl score. besides, they seem too competitive for me and a little bit overestimated. still, someone has to study at ucl:wink:
Original post by 88888
Guys, anyone would like to apply for Cambridge or UCL? I am not sure which one to apply, as they are both competitive and brilliant? Who is going to apply,and which are you choosing?XD

I'm going to choose UCL! It just seems more art based and Cambridge just didn't appeal to me because of the competitiveness.
Reply 85
Original post by Abblecrumble
I'm going to choose UCL! It just seems more art based and Cambridge just didn't appeal to me because of the competitiveness.

I though UCL was more competitive ?? I'm probably wrong :redface:
I think UCL is more competitive - although Cambridge ask for a quantitative A*AA prefering Maths AS; Bartlett "only" ask for a high quality, arty portfolio. The requirements and course are very different - I think there is an emphasis on history and theory at Cambridge, whereas the Bartlett is very, very creative, having strong links with the Slade (as seen on their summer exhibition).
I'm not applying to either, but that's what I thought when I looked at them :P The drop out rate at both of them are horrendus, but they the schools have a good reputation and the graduates seem to do well :smile: If you're only applying to one, it might be worth playing to your strengths, and if you're both extremely arty and able to get the grades for Cambridge, why not both?
Reply 87
UCL is very competitive, not sure whether more than Cambridge but probs about the same. I've spoken to a girl who went to my school who goes to UCL and she's told me how tough it is, people drop out and it's quite pretentious. In the first 4 projects you don't even draw buildings so yes, it's very arty. For me that wouldn't be so bad as I kinda want to become any type designer and doing an architecture BSc/BA is a good start to do so :smile: you learn so much though, it really sounds amazing so the hard work would be worth it!! It's definitely one of my choices :smile:

on to sorting the portfolio now!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by Amber_24
My UCAS form is almost done, just doing my personal statement and changing it (over and over).
Not done anything for my portfolio yet !! Was planning on doing some quick sketches and then submitted life drawing images (done with school) and some of my a-level art. Possibly a painting I've (almost) done for my mum :tongue: I'm assuming it needs to be full of sketches though?? :smile:

Im in a similar position :smile: I don't think it needs to be full of sketches, most places like to see a wide range!! I'm going put some ceramics work in, painting and sketches :smile: but life drawings seem to be favourable toooo!
Reply 89
do you think that unfinished sketches can occur to be priceless ?
hi everyone! totally new here, just wanted to see if anyone else is applying to the same places! i sent off my ucas last week and i'm applying to bath, cambridge, sheffield, edinburgh and manchester. does anyone know how long bath takes to make a decision after they've acknowledged your application? also, i'm not sure what to put in my portfolio, any ideas?
Reply 91
decoglitter, what are you predicted grades ? you've chosen a very competitive universities, especially bath and cambridge. in no time you should get an acknowledgement about portfolio subjects.
Original post by tinwid
decoglitter, what are you predicted grades ? you've chosen a very competitive universities, especially bath and cambridge. in no time you should get an acknowledgement about portfolio subjects.

my predicted grades are a*a*a*a, in art, biology, french and maths-a little bit disappointed about the maths, do you think the a will make a difference? how does the portfolio thing work, do you get invitations through ucas to submit them?
Reply 93
dear god, what a perfect grades prediction :smile: i think it should come via ucas or directly from the universities. I'm sending my application next week, i'm kinda looking forward to it. the sooner, the better! waiting would kill me:smile: I see that you're from England, from what city are you ?
thank you! :smile: ok, thanks for telling me-been worrying about it since i sent my ucas last week! it's nice to get the applying bit out of the way, but waiting for the unis to make decisions is killing me!! yep i am, i'm from Winchester-how about you? :smile:
Reply 95
No worries, every one is stressed when it comes to waiting. I'm from Poland, the north part. Yesterday I finished my PS and submitted it to this forum. Hope it will be assessed as quick as possible :wink:
Yeah it is stressful waiting for offers! Oh wow, I've never been to Poland before! So are you applying to unis in the UK? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
As for me, listening to Florence and her Machine or Mumford and Sons make waiting easier:smile: Yup, i've already chosen 5 unis, but I have to adjust my choices. I picked up really good unis, but I don't know if i would be able to meet entry requirements to all of them. I'm the best student in my class, but there are quite high requirements of Matura Exam. What's more, this exam is not so easy... Maybe we will have a chance to meet in Sheffield, this uni will be definitely my firm choice:smile:
I LOVE Florence and the machine! Great to listen to when drawing or painting :smile: is that an equivalent exam to a levels? I'm sure you'll do really well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone,

I'm currently doing an Art & Design foundation course in London and I'm hoping to apply to Bath, Edinburgh, UCL, Sheffield and Cambridge. I finished my A-Levels (A*A*A*A in Maths, Art&Design, French and Physics respectfully) and this is the second time I'm applying.
Last year I had 4 As and 1 B at AS (I re-took these in January and got 5 As, but it was too late). I didn't get any offers. The truth is that it is quite tough to get offers in architecture, so my advice is that you work really hard on your portfolio and really really hard on your A-Levels/End of school exams! My portfolio wasn't that good last year but even Bath and Edinburgh (who don't look at the portfolio) rejected me, so your AS grades/A2 predictions do play a very important role.

I hope it will work out for me this year, and more importantly I hope it will work out for all of you!

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending