The Student Room Group

Mr M’s Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Linear Paper 1 Answers June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Mr M can you please tell me what the question was for 10c where you had to make H the subject of the formula?
4. Stem and leaf diagram

Speeds of cars (mph)

2 | 9
3 | 1 3 5 6 9
4 | 2 3 3 4 6 8 9
5 | 2 4 5

Key: 2 | 9 = 29

I was wondering will i get 3/3 for answering like this? in the key i didnt put mph but just '29' but i think i put on that title....
Reply 182
Can someone explain how the hell they did that cylinder question? I just don't get it :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 183
Original post by Saifstudioz
i think 80% for A* in this paper would be too low because it was quite easy. I'd say around 85%

Seriously? LOADS of people found it quite challenging. I think you're just naturally good at maths :biggrin:

Can you please tell me what were the exact measurements for Question 12, the question about the orange juice, and can you tell me how to work it out as well???

Thanks Mr M
Original post by R4INBOW
Can someone explain how the hell they did that cylinder question? I just don't get it :/

The cylinder had a radius of 2x and a height of 9x. Therefore the volume of the cylinder is (2x)^2*pi*9x = pi*36x^3 the cylinder is melted down to form the sphere and the sphere has the radius r, this means that pi*36x^3 is equal to the formula for the volume of a sphere so pi*36x^3=pi*4/3*r^3 so this cancelled down means 36x^3=4/3*r^3 multiply this be 3 to make it easy 108x^3=4*r^3 then divide it all by 4 to get 27x^3=r^3 then just cube root it all to get 3x=r well thats what i did =).
Reply 186
ive got a QUESTION ABOUT THE RECURRING DECIMAL ONE. THIS IS HOW I WORKED IT OUT

10X=2.818181
1000X=281.818181
990X=279
X=279/990
IS THAT RIGHT I DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO CANCEL DOWN SO I DIDNT BOTHER
IF IT IS RIGHT WOULD IT BE FULL MARKS
Reply 187
Original post by 08blank80
The cylinder had a radius of 2x and a height of 9x. Therefore the volume of the cylinder is (2x)^2*pi*9x = pi*36x^3 the cylinder is melted down to form the sphere and the sphere has the radius r, this means that pi*36x^3 is equal to the formula for the volume of a sphere so pi*36x^3=pi*4/3*r^3 so this cancelled down means 36x^3=4/3*r^3 multiply this be 3 to make it easy 108x^3=4*r^3 then divide it all by 4 to get 27x^3=r^3 then just cube root it all to get 3x=r well thats what i did =).

Ah I see. Ty :biggrin:

Original post by sid786

10X=2.818181
1000X=281.818181
990X=279
X=279/990

The question said "Give your answer in its simplest form," I'm afraid :frown:
I'm sure the orange juice one was 4cm as it was 40% of the height (20cm)..? I'm praying for an easy calc exam!
Original post by sid786

10X=2.818181
1000X=281.818181
990X=279
X=279/990

you will get 2/3 for it though =) but you had to give it in the simplist form
Original post by Mr M
Mr M’s Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Linear Paper 1 Answers June 2011

1. Questionnaire

a) Suitable table (2 marks)

b) Sample too small OR not representative (1 mark)

for 1a would a suitable table be one with a column for film genre another column for a tally and another column for frequency?

For 1b could I have said that it was only students so there was a small age range which could make the results a bit bias?
for 19 b i put 12/100, would you still get 2 marks?

and similarly with the recurring decimal question, i didn't cancel down, can you still get full marks if it is correct?
for 1a would a suitable table be one with a column for film genre another column for a tally and another column for frequency?

For 1b could I have said that it was only students so there was a small age range which could make the results a bit bias?

1a) It is technically the only correct answer :tongue:
So yes you have done well :smile:

1b) Yes this is what I said: "Only students meaning it is not representative of the whole population"
Original post by Saifstudioz
Thanks Mr M, you have done a great job.
just one last question
does the board do UMS??
can you get 100% even if you have got 95 marks?

There is UMS but there is no chance that 95 marks will equal 100%.
Original post by Hotdog
Mr M can you please tell me what the question was for 10c where you had to make H the subject of the formula?

Do you mean 8c?

t=gh10t=\frac{gh}{10}
4. Stem and leaf diagram

Speeds of cars (mph)

2 | 9
3 | 1 3 5 6 9
4 | 2 3 3 4 6 8 9
5 | 2 4 5

Key: 2 | 9 = 29

I was wondering will i get 3/3 for answering like this? in the key i didnt put mph but just '29' but i think i put on that title....

This is fine.
Original post by R4INBOW

Volume of cylinder = π(2x)2(9x)\pi (2x)^2 (9x)

Volume of sphere = 43πr3\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3

Set these expressions equal to each other and make r the subject.
Original post by RachelMendham
Thanks for this!
16 marks dropped! Oh dear. I got it pretty much all right until the last pages - it went all downhill from there. Can't believe I didn't get the sphere one. :doh:
I'm resitting with the new specification because my school got us to sit the old specification while we could in March. I was one mark off an A*... still bummed.
Bring on tomorrow! Good luck everyone!

what was the sphere one? what did you have to do? good luck tomorrow! for tomorrow :smile:
Original post by random_kid
Can you please tell me what were the exact measurements for Question 12, the question about the orange juice, and can you tell me how to work it out as well???

Thanks Mr M

The shaded side of the carton was 6 cm by 20 cm and the only measurement of the carton was 10 cm.

The depth of the juice was 8 cm when the carton was resting on the 6 cm by 10 cm face.

Work out the volume of the juice in the carton and then work out the height of the juice when the carton stands on the shaded face.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending