The Student Room Group

Students should think twice about pharmacy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by sb194
what's a cap? :s-smilie:

A limit on how many students can study the subject (I think)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 181
Original post by Hurrun
A limit on how many students can study the subject (I think)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh, thanks :smile:
They've just announced they're putting a cap on Pharmacy places.
Original post by lozzvipond

Yes Finally!!
Original post by lozzvipond

Btw can you give the source.
Reply 185
what year does the cap begin?
Reply 187
Original post by pharmer2
what year does the cap begin?

At the moment I think it is still just a proposal.
Original post by jami74
At the moment I think it is still just a proposal.

Yeah, they've just said that plans to put a cap in place have been proposed, it won't be implemented until at least 2030 I bet. :lol: Unless we exercise our "angry students have to go on a protest at least once in their lives" rights.
:woo: Finally they are going to put caps on pharmacy places :woo:
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Yeah, they've just said that plans to put a cap in place have been proposed, it won't be implemented until at least 2030 I bet. :lol: Unless we exercise our "angry students have to go on a protest at least once in their lives" rights.

Two government ministers have agreed there needs to be management of student numbers against training places available - allowing everyone who completes the MPharm chance to complete their training as a pharmacist.

It is likely to take at least 12 months to get a structure on how the system should be managed but the work has already started. I don't think we'll be waiting till 2030 as it could be possible for the 5-year integrated degree to already be active then (which has a system of control built in)
Reply 191
Original post by ScoobyB4
Grad medicine? Jam around uni doing phds? But then you'll probably end up like the guy Kanye West describes on the into of College Dropout :smile:

This is completely irrelevant but I seriously appreciate the College Dropout reference, nice to know that some still have a good taste in music still
I'm currently in second year of pharmacy and one of the first thing one of the lecturers said was not to be afraid of moving abroad. Yeah there's too many graduating pharmacists here but there's some countries out there where healthcare will be greatly advancing within the next few years and they may need a workforce to fill it. I don't know for sure if this will happen but it's better than thinking we're all just destined to be stuck in bad jobs/on the dole in the UK for the rest of our lives. Start learning new languages and looking for work experience abroad, even if they're not pharmacy-related. It's a big world out there, embrace it :biggrin:
Original post by clairebear06
I'm currently in second year of pharmacy and one of the first thing one of the lecturers said was not to be afraid of moving abroad. Yeah there's too many graduating pharmacists here but there's some countries out there where healthcare will be greatly advancing within the next few years and they may need a workforce to fill it. I don't know for sure if this will happen but it's better than thinking we're all just destined to be stuck in bad jobs/on the dole in the UK for the rest of our lives. Start learning new languages and looking for work experience abroad, even if they're not pharmacy-related. It's a big world out there, embrace it :biggrin:

There are good number of jobs in this country , you just have to look and search for them. Good pharmacists would be able to find jobs anywhere , it is only getting harder for those who are '' walking corpses with certificate'' as there are more competition .......

they can go abroad and keep sticking labels on boxes
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by DentalLondon
There are good number of jobs in this country , you just have to look and search for them. Good pharmacists would be able to find jobs anywhere , it is only getting harder for those who are '' walking corpses with certificate'' as there are more competition .......

they can go abroad and keep sticking labels on boxes

Totally agreed on this haha. Just be the cream of the crop and you'll be sorted. I'm just guessing here but the people who have not got jobs in pharmacy either don't have enough experience in pharmacies or simply isn't good enough to get past the interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by clairebear06

Exactly, I have the same opinion. Why confine yourself to one place/country when you have a valuable degree you can use.
Original post by Freiheit
Exactly, I have the same opinion. Why confine yourself to one place/country when you have a valuable degree you can use.

Same thing happening in the States, NZ and Oz. Pharmacy schools opening on every street corner :frown:

Pharmacy been taken off the essential worker list for immigration in NZ and Oz and the big chains in the USA won't sponsor you for a work visa as they have an abundance of unemployed pharmacists there desperate for a job.

Europe pretty much useless too as they are all coming here looking for work. I think your lecturer is pooling the wool IMHO.

look at this US forum, things are grim

http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/pharmacist/Lies-about-pharmacist-job-market/t264349
Dream on - moving to another country is so easy to suggest, but actually doing it is incredibly difficult: there is a reason most people remain in the country they were born and educated in. Sure, some of you might well take the plunge, but you'll find the situation no better in the USA - Australia don't take on British clinicians particularly willingly, nor do Canada - and then you've got further regulatory legislation to appease. Learn a foreign language and try somewhere in the EU would be your best bet - but do you really think the quality of life is so great elsewhere? There is a reason many foreign professionals flock to Britain; just sayin'! :smile:
Original post by On The Horizon
Dream on - moving to another country is so easy to suggest, but actually doing it is incredibly difficult: there is a reason most people remain in the country they were born and educated in. Sure, some of you might well take the plunge, but you'll find the situation no better in the USA - Australia don't take on British clinicians particularly willingly, nor do Canada - and then you've got further regulatory legislation to appease. Learn a foreign language and try somewhere in the EU would be your best bet - but do you really think the quality of life is so great elsewhere? There is a reason many foreign professionals flock to Britain; just sayin'! :smile:

I am not British, I am from the EU and my parents managed to move here easily to take advantage of the education system on offer. I don't have a problem with moving if it means a better standard of living. With enough motivation it is not that difficult as you suggest. I understand that moving is not for everyone though but planning is key especially as graduate unemployment continues to rise.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist

sorry to drag this post up but its the only way i seem to be able to message you. Someone on the 2013 UEA thread asked me how UEA is for Pharmacy as they are struggling to choose between Bath and UEA. Obviously I don't have a clue so would you be able to hope over there and reply? It's on the last page of the 2013 applicants thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending