The Student Room Group

Students should think twice about pharmacy

Scroll to see replies

While I understand and agree with some of the points raised in the OP, I think it does boil down to how pro active you are and the university you are attending. For example: I believe mine really pushes you to obtain work experience from first year (which I managed to secure both hospital and community) and not only that, I think they are well connected. Also, doing work experience earlier on can also help you to network. Attending events or conferences that are done by the RPS can also help you to network.

I've spoken to those who have finished their fourth years and secured pre reg placements in the past and they've said they received a lot of extra support from uni in applying, as well as the contacts that were provided.

I also think there is a misunderstanding of Pharmacy in general, A lot of people don't really see the use of Pharmacists and stereotype our role purely to the commercial or community sector. When in reality, there are many new roles and roles that I believe as a Pharmacist we will have great use in, for example:
- A recent one, is the GP pharmacist, where they will be leading patient clinics and doing health checks and managing the prescriptions
- Hospital sector (I have to be honest, even I did not understand their role until I had undertook this placement)
- Industry sector
- CCG (Clinical Commissioning Groups)
- You can even undertake further training to be able to prescribe
- Private sector
And honestly many more.

Edit: To those who are wanting to do Pharmacy but is put off by people talking about the lack of jobs now: there is no point in thinking that far ahead. I remember when I was thinking to apply to Pharmacy and I felt like there was no use for Pharmacists, other than dispensing. But, so much has changed in 5 years and by the time, you are on the course, and finish: the salaries will inevitably change. You will do well in the degree if you are committed.

However, if you are choosing between two courses: I suggest you do have a look at the individual courses and their career prospects, and maybe PM me if you want more advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 401
Original post by flibbage0
-

**** off for calling me an idiot.
Good news! After a long year of pro-active schmoozing at CPPE events, hunting, applying etc etc I finally got a job.

My new employer says it's simply not a case of grades anymore, as they have tonnes of 1st class MPharm applicants, and those students also have bags of experience and CVs dripping with glossy and valuable extras. He says it's simply that they have 2-3 vacancies, but 100s of applications. They lavished me in positive feedback and said I was just 1 of a dozen perfect candidates who miss out year after year due to sheer numbers.

Many students will stay with an employer following their pre-reg year. This means those wishing to switch or relocate are up against it, as jobs will be filled internally by those pre-reg students once they pass the exam. The company also then has a nice long list of known alternative employees for the future, as opposed to an unknown entity (aka a new pharmacist trying to enter the company).

So it appears that if you want a job as a community pharmacist, you need to get in with the right pre-reg place literally from year 1 of the MPharm degree. Favoured students will get offered pre-reg places, and favoured pre-regs get the jobs once qualified. Service can not be broken. This was my mistake. I invested in a company for 9 years that doesnt offer pre-reg places, then decided I did not want to work for my pre-reg company as I didnt feel they had a solid future (I was right, as they did then close/sell-off).

Finding the right pharmacy for you will be hard. I strongly suggest college students work in pharmacy before applying to Uni. Maybe even take a year or 2 off education to work. Be careful, as some big companies suddenly stop taking on pre-reg students, or vastly cut their in-take if they are saturated with good pharmacists. Try and get your pre-reg place promised to you ASAP. When you start Uni, work in pharmacy at the same time as studying (I know, that is rock hard to do, but you have to).

If all that sounds too hard, then community pharmacy is not for you. I can't comment on HP pharmacy, as -despite having experience - it wasn't for me and I didn't pursue that route (you'll have to decide early on).

I'm happy to be set-up now, but it was a hard slog to get here. I wouldnt dream of leaving my company anytime soon for fear that there is nothing else out there.

Oh, and for the record, I work in E/Sussex where they say there is a shortage of locums, but I never got offered anything closer than Kent! With Brighton and Sussex both 2 miles apart offering the MPharm, I wouldn't recommend these Unis as competition is just fierce. 400+ students every year, 40 jobs locally... OWCH!
Things have changed since I qualified. When I was a student I did work America working in bars and clubs on the beaches of California every summer. It was amazing. I reckoned I had 40 years to do pharmacy and wasn't interested in working in one while a student.

There were plenty of jobs to choose from when I qualified. If I had worked in a pharmacy while a student I think I would have been put off pharmacy as a career before I had even started.

I feel sorry for pharm students now having to work pharmacy during the summer. I'm so grateful I got to travel around the US while I was young instead of doing what I would be doing as my career.
Original post by Bridget Jones

Edit: To those who are wanting to do Pharmacy but is put off by people talking about the lack of jobs now: there is no point in thinking that far ahead. I remember when I was thinking to apply to Pharmacy and I felt like there was no use for Pharmacists, other than dispensing. But, so much has changed in 5 years and by the time, you are on the course, and finish: the salaries will inevitably change. You will do well in the degree if you are committed.

Yes dear Bridget, wages are going down!!!! See my other posts for examples of my wage and salary rates over the last 20 years. Community pharmacy is saturated. Go to the Chemist and Druggist website and look at the article today on the pre-reg exam and look how many pre-regs each big company is taking on. Boots has 2000 pharmacies nearly and is taking on less than 250 pre-regs. And Well.... well!
My employer is also cutting prereg places. They just dont need them. I accepted a very low wage but was thankful for it. I was lucky to get the job as they had many others to choose from. One pharmacist has moved from ireland and feels really lonely and never sees her family. But there are zero pharmacy jobs in ireland.

Pay in hospital starts off even lower, though after several years you can go up the 'bands'. BUT you have to wait other people out and expect to move house to follow the HP jobs.

Community pay doest much change, and employers dont seem to care about experience, just targets. If i was 18 again, id pick a different degree to something more enjoyable with more career progression and opportunities.something that maybe paid less but was more fullfilling and meant i could stay closer to family. Teachers are in short supply, engineers. Maybe id take a degree that was less specific and gave me more recruitment opportunities later. If you have an MPharm degree you really only can do pharmacy!
Far from wanting to quell your enthusiasm for pharmacy, I would urge you to consider alternatives while you have the option as you come up to the year that you take your A levels.
Pharmacy will be going through a major shake-up and for the majority of those destined for community pharmacy it may only have a career span of around 7 - 10 years.
The fortunate pharmacists will be recruited to work in GP surgeries to support their activities. For the rest in community the big challenge will occur when the government permits either or both ; remote supervision and hub-and-spoke dispensing. This will either be on the click and collect model, or direct to patient delivery. Yes, the internet revolution is about to steam through pharmacy. There will be less need for 'bricks and mortar' community pharmacies, and therefore less of all grades of community employees. This will all be done to try and save the NHS the huge cost of operating the current network of community pharmacists.
Do some reading around - the trade publications are on the internet.
Chemists and druggists magazine is a good start. (google is your friend).

Also consider if you want to spend your working life in isolation from other graduates, in a position where you have to concentrate day in day out from 0900 to 1800 with a 20 minute break? Yes, those are the pharmacies with shorter hours! The 7 day NHS will certainly mean longer hours than that with no antisocial hours payments.

Don't forget as well after 4 years of a challenging course that you will need to register with the GPhC. This organisation regulates pharmacy. It has no remit to look after pharmacists welfare, terms and conditions of work or anything else.

What to do instead?
Medicine, Dentistry, Ophthalmic Optics (Still 3 years + prereg), Computing, Teacher Training, run away to sea <g>

Whatever you choose in your university career I wish you all well.
Original post by Bubzeh
Most intelligent person I know (academically) is doing great and they'll have an amazing career.

Maybe it's just the dumb people that will struggle.

i know people who have graduated with first class masters degrees from russel group unis and have ended up taking jobs as teachers because nobody wanted to hire them for 2 years
(edited 8 years ago)
Perhaps its where you graduate from, employers are going to hire someone that's coming from a top 5 or 10 university instead of someone in LJMU which is like 27th in uni rankings. It also depends where they live and where they look. If you're committed enough you could look at Europe or try and register in another country. Pharmacy is developing with more roles opening for example the role of pharmacist in GP surgeries... Never know in a few years there could be an over saturation of doctors, nurses and opticians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhyss01
Perhaps its where you graduate from, employers are going to hire someone that's coming from a top 5 or 10 university instead of someone in LJMU which is like 27th in uni rankings. It also depends where they live and where they look. If you're committed enough you could look at Europe or try and register in another country. Pharmacy is developing with more roles opening for example the role of pharmacist in GP surgeries... Never know in a few years there could be an over saturation of doctors, nurses and opticians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

from what I understand, despite restricted intake, dental students had problems with obtaining pre-regs last year (allegedly, per my source at a top2 dental school, 400 dental students were unable to attain jobs after graduating). similarly, opticians are allegedly plateauing as well
Hi.

Unrelated, but I hope it provides some insight.

In Scotland, there is a massive saturation of law graduates. Worse yet, we need to do a course which is not funded at all, and costs £6000, the diploma in legal practice. If we don't secure a traineeship (its like medicine, i.e.it lasts 2 years) within 2 years of graduating; we have to then re-do the diploma....costing ANOTHER £6000.

This has been going on for about 4-5 years, and the law society has known about it, all this time. They have written articles about it but the stance they take is "oh we don't want to play god."

No, but they do play with our money x(

So many previously "safe" occupations are now coming under fire with increasingly fierce competition and increasingly unhelpful, apathetic and even corrupt officials seeking to exploit/remain oblivious to the plight of the students. Caps are needed, it ensures quality of results for everyone involved.

Like pharmacy, the onus was put on students. "Oh get a work placement. Get summer work." More often than not students desperate to prove their merit were taken advantage of.

Promising students turned down by sheer volume.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by apronedsamurai
Hi.

Unrelated, but I hope it provides some insight.

In Scotland, there is a massive saturation of law graduates. Worse yet, we need to do a course which is not funded at all, and costs £6000, the diploma in legal practice. If we don't secure a traineeship (its like medicine, i.e.it lasts 2 years) within 2 years of graduating; we have to then re-do the diploma....costing ANOTHER £6000.

This has been going on for about 4-5 years, and the law society has known about it, all this time. They have written articles about it but the stance they take is "oh we don't want to play god."

No, but they do play with our money x(

So many previously "safe" occupations are now coming under fire with increasingly fierce competition and increasingly unhelpful, apathetic and even corrupt officials seeking to exploit/remain oblivious to the plight of the students. Caps are needed, it ensures quality of results for everyone involved.

similar situation in England with law graduates Im afraid, also psychology grads and occupational therapist grads.
Original post by quasa
similar situation in England with law graduates Im afraid, also psychology grads and occupational therapist grads.

:frown:

That is the sole reason why I specifically altered my UCAS to radiography; I looked up the shortage occupation list and radiographers/radiologists have consistently cropped up. Between my gender and my disability, here's hoping affirmative action might just nudge me in the door :rolleyes:
Original post by apronedsamurai
:frown:

That is the sole reason why I specifically altered my UCAS to radiography; I looked up the shortage occupation list and radiographers/radiologists have consistently cropped up. Between my gender and my disability, here's hoping affirmative action might just nudge me in the door :rolleyes:

cool, best of luck with the future. I will say this though, make sure u get shed loads of experience/jobs in field during holidays at uni as it can help if the job market changes. I started my degree in 2009 for pharmacy and graduated in 2013. the difference then was this: 2008/2009, new pharmacy schools had just gained accreditation and there were tonnes of jobs going around due to a large shortage of pharmacy graduates, however by 2012/2013, it was everyman for themselves. I was fortunate that I was offered interviews at some top teaching hospitals (yet due to my inabiity to speak at interviews, I failed them miserably), so I was forced to do my pre-reg 2014/2015 in an independent pharmacy with 2 pre-reg tutors (the first 1 was pure vile, for reasons I will not say in public). Despite this, I still passed my pre-reg exam (and had cross-sector placement which I organised myself in a top teaching hospital trust in the north), but due to my lack of experience in multiple fields (including being a registered pharmacist), nobody wants to hire me and have been unemployed since june :|
Additionally, I decided a while ago that I wanted to pursue a different area after I graduated but due to financial situations, I am stuck atm
Original post by quasa
cool, best of luck with the future. I will say this though, make sure u get shed loads of experience/jobs in field during holidays at uni as it can help if the job market changes. I started my degree in 2009 for pharmacy and graduated in 2013. the difference then was this: 2008/2009, new pharmacy schools had just gained accreditation and there were tonnes of jobs going around due to a large shortage of pharmacy graduates, however by 2012/2013, it was everyman for themselves. I was fortunate that I was offered interviews at some top teaching hospitals (yet due to my inabiity to speak at interviews, I failed them miserably), so I was forced to do my pre-reg 2014/2015 in an independent pharmacy with 2 pre-reg tutors (the first 1 was pure vile, for reasons I will not say in public). Despite this, I still passed my pre-reg exam (and had cross-sector placement which I organised myself in a top teaching hospital trust in the north), but due to my lack of experience in multiple fields (including being a registered pharmacist), nobody wants to hire me and have been unemployed since june :|
Additionally, I decided a while ago that I wanted to pursue a different area after I graduated but due to financial situations, I am stuck atm

Sh!t :frown: That seriously blows: hope it all works out, really do
cheers samurai-san and hope everything works out for everyone (providing nobody gets hurt or screwed over)
i will also add this to people considering pre-regs. do not be desperate to get a pre-reg urgently. the pay disparity between pre-reg venues is shocking. some places pay the pre-regs £1000/month before taxes (works out at £9600 a year after taxes) for effectively being a cleaner and assisstant, whilst some venues (namely london hospitals) pay around £20 000/year after taxes. If u cant find a pre-reg venue during ur last year of uni, do not go for a low pay venue as it will almost involve u not benefiting. financially, each training premesis (community def, not sure about hospital) can claim £18,440 tax-free just for having a pre-reg. usually, 1400-1800 goes to training courses so that means the average for an independent pharmacy is £17 000 per year before taxes (£13600 after taxes).

but despite wages however, make sure ur venue has had previous pre-reg students who spent their entire time at the venue and who actually passed their exam their. even if it is a big company like boots or lloyds, dont think theyll be good. During my last year at uni, I had quite a few health problems and due to the imcompetence / neglegence of 2 hospitals, I had to wait 10 months to begin treatment for said injuries. I had already gotten a pre-reg sorted with a large multiple and begged them for me to start my pre-reg late (it was in a small village some 230 miles from home) and said company HR reps said, in email and phone, that theyd give me occupational therapy but i cannot delay the start. I even offered to show them my xrays and mri scans via email but they were ignorant, and in fact threatened to terminate my contract for refusing to show up. I, being desperate went to the venue and was forced to quit within 3 weeks due to the pain and racism (i was the only brown in the village and there were no black people). when i threatened to quit, said company told me i could defer but it was too late and they even admitted that there is no occupational therapy for employees.

After that, i applied for hospital pre-reg (my original option for pre-reg) and managed to get interviews for some top teaching hospitals, as well as local hospitals, but flopped the interviews due to me being nervous. in desperation, I ended up taking a job at a local independent pharmacy near home, but during that time, I had to put up with 2 pre-reg tutors: the first being from hell, the 2nd being an underpreparred locum who had only been working in the UK for the last 3 years at that point (but gradually grew into the role). The first tutor did their utmost to make me quit (maybe they had felt that I may take their job) and when that didnt work, shed make up lies and tried getting the superintendent to sack me. whilst digging around the pharmacy, I noted that theyhad 2 previous pre-reg students who quit because of her behaviour and was even warned by a mate who worked at the job centre to avoid working with the tutor as multiple people who had work experience at the venue had negative reviews about their arrogance / bad behaviour. once the first tutor left however, everyone saw who I was and even sympathised with me for putting up with the first tutor. In fact, when I finished my pre-reg, everyone told the superintendent of the first tutors behaviour and said tutor had to delay their comeback to the pharmacy by 3 months to allow the venues current student to have passed their 1st appraisal
Original post by quasa

Not really for OTs. There is actually a major shortage. Where I am, they have to use agency staff to ensure that there aren't people waiting years for some therapy.

As it is we have hundreds of families waiting for OT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Not really for OTs. There is actually a major shortage. Where I am, they have to use agency staff to ensure that there aren't people waiting years for some therapy.

As it is we have hundreds of families waiting for OT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah, my bad for OTs (although i hear its hard to get a pre-reg per 1 of my friends who is now working as an OT in abu dhabi
Original post by quasa
ah, my bad for OTs (although i hear its hard to get a pre-reg per 1 of my friends who is now working as an OT in abu dhabi

Everywhere I've looked has over 95% graduate employment rate. Many places have 100% employment.

I'm not an expert, but this seems to be pretty impressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending