The Student Room Group

Students should think twice about pharmacy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Katty3
Everywhere I've looked has over 95% graduate employment rate. Many places have 100% employment.

I'm not an expert, but this seems to be pretty impressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

isn't that because after the 4 years of study they have a 1 year pre reg place thing which counts as employment :/
I feel sorry for the people who failed to get into medicine and choose these sort of courses as the next best thing. These are nothing like medicine at all, it's far more unstable. Many I know were forced by parents. It's a good thing this thread is here to warn about the truth, hell, I know people who did rubbish at a-level and are going to uni now thinking its a walk in a park, but they really have got a nasty surprise.
Original post by Katty3
Everywhere I've looked has over 95% graduate employment rate. Many places have 100% employment.

I'm not an expert, but this seems to be pretty impressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that is very impressive. in my friends case, tehy struggled to get work in the UK after passing their pre-reg. do you know if there are any regional variences on employment rates for OTs, like there are pharmacists (it is virtually impossible to get any locum pharmacy work in herts, beds, bucks, northants and london unless u know people or have been working for X years as a pharmacist (2-3 years community; done your pre-reg in hospital / 1 year hospital experience for hospital work).
Original post by RiskVsReward
I feel sorry for the people who failed to get into medicine and choose these sort of courses as the next best thing. These are nothing like medicine at all, it's far more unstable. Many I know were forced by parents. It's a good thing this thread is here to warn about the truth, hell, I know people who did rubbish at a-level and are going to uni now thinking its a walk in a park, but they really have got a nasty surprise.

actually in my case, my parents wanted me to become a lawyer, teacher or accountant. I have always been a fan of human biology and at the time I did my uni applications (2008-2009), there was a massive demand for pharmacists, so much so the GPhC gave accreditation to 5 new unis (with cohorts of 200-400 students per year). its because of unregulated numbers that a lot of people cant find work as a pharmacist or pharmacy graduate and because of competition, basic locum wages have dropped from £30-40/hour in 2011/2012 to £10-25 in current era (yes thats ten to twenty-five). in fact, locums for big companies (who shall remain anonymous) are actually earning less for their locum work than they did during pre-reg due to non-compete clauses in contracts and having to work 15-20 hours a week.
regarding the role of pharmacists however, it has become a lot more clinical (pharmacies are expected to have reviews with their patients 400 times a year minimum; offer smoking cessation, weight loss-, birth control, family planning, asthma screening, flu vaccinations, meningitis vaccinations, independent/supplementary prescribing). In fact, during my pre-reg, i would regularly (i.e. 3-4 times a week) have to go to a GP surgery and force the doctors to change their prescriptions due to products being unsuitable for patients (e.g. giving a painkiller dose for adults to neonates for a drug not recommended for children <12 years old).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by quasa
actually in my case, my parents wanted me to become a lawyer, teacher or accountant. I have always been a fan of human biology and at the time I did my uni applications (2008-2009), there was a massive demand for pharmacists, so much so the government gave accreditation to 5 new unis (with cohorts of 200-400 students). its because of unregulated numbers that a lot of people cant find work as a pharmacist or pharmacy graduate and because of competition, basic locum wages have dropped from £30-40/hour in 2011/2012 to £10-25 in current era (yes thats ten to twenty-five). in fact, locums for big companies (who shall remain anonymous) are actually earning less for their locum work than they did during pre-reg due to non-compete clauses in contracts and having to work 15-20 hours a week.

If you look through my started threads, I made a similar thread talking about a cap, literally like this one.

The reason I knew pharamcy was just too full is when I saw 3 or could be 4 forgot now, pharmacist quite literally, I mean literally, NEXT to each other!
I also realised this with the fact that so many people with grades that sucked got in without a problem in aston uni. this meant that they had far more places than they needed so just filled it up to make sure the course is full.

I just decided to stay out of this whole thing the second I learnt the over-saturation and go in for engineering. Getting a job as an engineer is not easy but if you go to good uni and do well, with internships it's not the hardest thing in the world. If you decide not to, you have so many graduate jobs stuff like actuary because of how much engineering is valued in it's maths/physics/sciene dept.

Too many people don't know the truth of job markets, colleges don't teach them. Many don't even realise that they have only one ungrad student loan. You get one shot, so you should make sure you choose something worth doing. If you are rich by all means do a degree that doesn't give a good chance of job but if you are like me, then find something which will give you a good chance at getting a good job.

Pharmacy in the end is like optom, it used to pay well before but times have changed and salaries don't look so great.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by z33
isn't that because after the 4 years of study they have a 1 year pre reg place thing which counts as employment :/

No. It takes 3 years to train as an OT. After that you're left to get a job by yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z33

thats pharmacy mate and pre-reg doesnt count as employment for pharmacists
Original post by RiskVsReward
If you look through my started threads, I made a similar thread talking about a cap, literally like this one.

The reason I knew pharamcy was just too full is when I saw 3 or could be 4 forgot now, pharmacist quite literally, I mean literally, NEXT to each other!
I also realised this with the fact that so many people with grades that sucked got in without a problem in aston uni. this meant that they had far more places than they needed so just filled it up to make sure the course is full.

I just decided to stay out of this whole thing the second I learnt the over-saturation and go in for engineering. Getting a job as an engineer is not easy but if you go to good uni and do well, with internships it's not the hardest thing in the world. If you decide not to, you have so many graduate jobs stuff like actuary because of how much engineering is valued in it's maths/physics/sciene dept.

Too many people don't know the truth of job markets, colleges don't teach them. Many don't even realise that they have only one ungrad student loan. You get one shot, so you should make sure you choose something worth doing. If you are rich by all means do a degree that doesn't give a good chance of job but if you are like me, then find something which will give you a good chance at getting a good job.

Pharmacy in the end is like optom, it used to pay well before but times have changed and salaries don't look so great.

weirdly, engineering is something i was considering (and is still tempting) way back when. at the time, i chose not to go tfor engineering because of problems getting internships / jobs in areas I was interested in (automotive/ aeronautic).

maybe i could pull a rory byrne :wink:
Original post by JohnnyPharm
Forget that, they the multiples don't want brilliant pharmacists they just want cheap ones. The person who charges least will get picked over the straight A student.

if you wan to be a brilliant pharmacist start going to the gym and building up your stamina, there is no let up in pharmacy.

You are on your feet 10hrs straight, working your nuts off at flat out pace all the time. Everyone has an off day now and then when they are just not 100%, this is not allowed in pharmacy. If you have an off day and it affects your performance, expect a reprimand.

Work on your fitness and stamina and how cheap you are prepared to work for and you may then become a good pharmacist.

I totally agree Johnny. I did over 600 items yesterday in 9 hours, mostly this bloody ETP which is the latest ball ache!!! Now, we have to print all the sodding scripts off, so basically we are being a prescription clerk! DO NOT DO COMMUNITY PHARMACY!! Not had a pay rise since 2008!! The Unis are businesses now, they want your fees. you will be lucky to find a pre-reg. i am offered work now, for £15 an hr. I was earning this in 1998!!
I really cannot believe all the muppets on here all dying to do community pharmacy!! Go and speak to those on your high street, yes, pharmacy is an interesting degree, but the job market is saturated. I hate to be negative about my profession but go read the Chemist and Druggist website. The Unis and GPhC still WON'T cap student places. This is leading to over-supply and falling wages and the multiples love it!
Add in EU pharmacists and immigrants and no matter how much they tell you all the wonderful ''clinical'' services you can do or go and work FOR a GP, note, not with! There will still be pharmacist unemployment.
Locum GPs are earning £60-70-80 an hour. Pharmacists are lucky if there is a 2 at the start! I really hate what has happened to pharmacy the last few years, and I'm sad and sorry to say, I feel it will get worse.
Please do some research before you sign up to a 5 yr course and thousands of pounds of debt!
Original post by mrlittlebigman
I totally agree Johnny. I did over 600 items yesterday in 9 hours, mostly this bloody ETP which is the latest ball ache!!! Now, we have to print all the sodding scripts off, so basically we are being a prescription clerk! DO NOT DO COMMUNITY PHARMACY!! Not had a pay rise since 2008!! The Unis are businesses now, they want your fees. you will be lucky to find a pre-reg. i am offered work now, for £15 an hr. I was earning this in 1998!!
I really cannot believe all the muppets on here all dying to do community pharmacy!! Go and speak to those on your high street, yes, pharmacy is an interesting degree, but the job market is saturated. I hate to be negative about my profession but go read the Chemist and Druggist website. The Unis and GPhC still WON'T cap student places. This is leading to over-supply and falling wages and the multiples love it!
Add in EU pharmacists and immigrants and no matter how much they tell you all the wonderful ''clinical'' services you can do or go and work FOR a GP, note, not with! There will still be pharmacist unemployment.
Locum GPs are earning £60-70-80 an hour. Pharmacists are lucky if there is a 2 at the start! I really hate what has happened to pharmacy the last few years, and I'm sad and sorry to say, I feel it will get worse.
Please do some research before you sign up to a 5 yr course and thousands of pounds of debt!

£15/hour, I assume you work for lloyds?
Original post by Rx_Sarcasm
You can certainly accomplish those things if you are committed.
I know a fair few paediatric pharmacists in hospitals, and the senior ones are amazing pharmacists. They are so on top of their knowledge, and will often give advice to other pharmacists, nurses and doctors regarding childrens medications. And the paeds pharmacist where I'm working at the moment runs her own clinic, and has a lot of input into treatments for cystic fibrosis patients.
I think paediatrics is a really good speciality for pharmacists as there's a lot of input you can have into treatments, since most paediatric medications are unlicensed. However, unfortunately, paediatric jobs don't come up too often, especially for band 6 pharmacists!

And its almost scary what a coincidence this is, but I have a friend who's about to do a phd in the area of patient compliance! He's hoping to work for the rpharms eventually.

So I think its great that you have an idea of where you want to end up in the world of pharmacy, and so long as you remain committed you can certainly achieve those goals.
Most of the people who complain on here seem to be community pharmacists who don't seem to want to make the effort to improve their role, or don't seem to realise that there are other areas they can work in, people who only chose pharmacy cause it would get them a job, or medical rejects who are bitter inside!
/rant

Yes, I agree with you regarding telling the person what they can accomplish, and I really hope he or she does well and gets to where they want to be. Just remember nearly 80% of pharmacy graduates will end up in community pharmacy.
Also once you hit your 30s and 40s and have a family and a mortgage and responsibilities, it can be very hard to "improve your role". You can't just take a new job 100 miles away or go and do another degree or diploma without thinking the effect on your husband/wife and family and if you will be able to pay the mortgage next month. Pharmacists like me are not always bitter, we are trying to help you make informed choices. In the late 1980s, when I made my choices, we didn't have the internet and TSR! If we did, i wouldn't be a pharmacist! Read the 'advice' and make your own mind up, but don't insult us!
Remember, most pharmacy is chain companies now, trying to ''improve your role'' can be very hard. you will be labelled as difficult, not a team player, and they will aim to get rid of you. Harsh, but welcome to the real world of pharmacy; go talk to a few who work for the 'shoe' shop, or the 'bank' !!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by quasa
£15/hour, I assume you work for lloyds?

no
Original post by Katty3
Not really for OTs. There is actually a major shortage. Where I am, they have to use agency staff to ensure that there aren't people waiting years for some therapy.

As it is we have hundreds of families waiting for OT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember when I applied to do bank work in a care home not long ago, there was an OT applying for a carers position. I thought it was really odd for an OT to take a bit of a step down, but she told me she had struggled for a year to find work and was willing to take any healthcare job. The lack of OTs and physios on wards is noticeable, it's more of an issue that trusts are not willing to hire them.
I'm new to this job lol.

So far I've worked at some places that I liked but got a relief position at a big chain for two days a week (I locum the other days). At this big chain I just check baskets and have no patient interactions or sort out problems. I find this very boring and I don't understand how people can do this all the time.
Original post by Jay_ward
I'm new to this job lol.

So far I've worked at some places that I liked but got a relief position at a big chain for two days a week (I locum the other days). At this big chain I just check baskets and have no patient interactions or sort out problems. I find this very boring and I don't understand how people can do this all the time.

If you could go back would you have done a different degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
whats interesting is that the government is cutting pharmacy budget by 6.1% next year. as it is, pharmacists are earning ~£20/hour less than 2012/2013
Original post by quasa
whats interesting is that the government is cutting pharmacy budget by 6.1% next year. as it is, pharmacists are earning ~£20/hour less than 2012/2013

Oh yes I have heard about the cuts.
Do you think it's going to affect their pay as well?.
Oh I'm hoping it's only the services being cut.What I find interesting is that even qualified professionals wouldn't recommend going into profession and that's very worrying!!.A few days ago I came across a post where an experienced community pharmacist was saying they haven't had a pay rise since 2008.With the cost of living so high,7 years and no pay rise is just brutal.
I personally think in the next 5 years it will hit ~£15 p/h.I heard some locums get paid £15 p/h right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lloyds with their crappy non-compete contracts are offering £15/hour for 15 hours work in some parts. if you look at that, those pharmacists are earning a lot less than i did during my pre-reg (albeit they have to put in a third of the hours).
in some parts of the country people are already being paid £12/hour so i wouldn't be surprised if £18 becomes the norm in the next year or so from £20-22 and in 5 years, pharmacists are earning £10/hour.
Original post by quasa
lloyds with their crappy non-compete contracts are offering £15/hour for 15 hours work in some parts. if you look at that, those pharmacists are earning a lot less than i did during my pre-reg (albeit they have to put in a third of the hours).
in some parts of the country people are already being paid £12/hour so i wouldn't be surprised if £18 becomes the norm in the next year or so from £20-22 and in 5 years, pharmacists are earning £10/hour.

Omg, that is shocking!!!!!!.You don't realise how bad it is until you start speaking to graduates & working professionals.
It's a shame that a lot of pharmacy students aren't aware of this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending