The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

How does the Open university actually work?

I have been looking at starting a course at the Open university, Yesterday and today I have been looking at the website, to enroll on a course you needn't have any qualifications and there are no formal entry requirements in place. Anyone can apply, apparently upon successful completion of the course you gain your degree as you would at any other Uni/college, Only difference is, you study at home or at work, from what I gather you do all your studying at home but for exams you go to institutions.

It sounds great to me unless I'm missing something?? it kind of sounds to good to be true.

If I enroll and begin studying for a degree I'll be paying on the pay back once earning over £21,000 basis. I don't get what it means by you pay for how many credits you use ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's just like normal uni in that you need to do essays (and as you've found some courses have exams). The main difference is that you really have to motivate yourself - there are optional tutorials, but they're about monthly so most of the time you are studying on your own. You can contact your tutor and they have forums where you can discuss issues with other students, though.

It's not too good to be true because studying on your own is hard, and you need to fit it around other commitments - mostly, students will either work full time or have families or occasionally both!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hi

I'm new on ere , but I study at the open uni .. I really like it , I am working towards a degree in computing and development.

I think the way it works is really good , we have to submit assignments and undertake tests , I go into the uni on selected day and meet with other students in my tutor group and with the tutor

I have to say theta the course material is really very good , I did make a comparison with a guy doing the equivalent at B/M uni and I was really pleased with how good the Ou is ..

any question just ask.. andy
Reply 3
Original post by AndyE9
Hi

I'm new on ere , but I study at the open uni .. I really like it , I am working towards a degree in computing and development.

I think the way it works is really good , we have to submit assignments and undertake tests , I go into the uni on selected day and meet with other students in my tutor group and with the tutor

I have to say theta the course material is really very good , I did make a comparison with a guy doing the equivalent at B/M uni and I was really pleased with how good the Ou is ..

any question just ask.. andy

yeah, how often do you go into an actual University campus to sit your tests and how long does each test normally last?

How often do you go into the Uni to meet with your tutor and other students, is that just for exams?

One of the reasons I ask is I get rather nervous around other people hence why I think the OU may be suitable for me but if it means having to meet up with other students and the tutors a couple of times a week then I'm not so sure at the moment whilst I'm so anxious
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
It's just like normal uni in that you need to do essays (and as you've found some courses have exams). The main difference is that you really have to motivate yourself - there are optional tutorials, but they're about monthly so most of the time you are studying on your own. You can contact your tutor and they have forums where you can discuss issues with other students, though.

It's not too good to be true because studying on your own is hard, and you need to fit it around other commitments - mostly, students will either work full time or have families or occasionally both!

Thanks, the Monthly tutorials, are they face to face or over the phone/ online sort of thing?

But upon completion of the course will I get the same sort of degree as I'd get if I went to an everyday University campus? Will there still be a graduation day?
Reply 5
Original post by Bubbles~
Thanks, the Monthly tutorials, are they face to face or over the phone/ online sort of thing?

But upon completion of the course will I get the same sort of degree as I'd get if I went to an everyday University campus? Will there still be a graduation day?

Well, monthly is an estimate - some courses are more often, some less often. And they have different forms, so some courses have phone tutorials with just you and your tutor, but others have face-to-face or online with the rest of your group. But the thing is they are optional so you don't have to go if you really can't manage it - or if it's because of a medical reason they might be able to help with that.

Not all courses have exams - in my degree I'm only gonna have 3! And again, if it's medical reasons then you might be able to sit them in a separate room or whatever would help you.

Yes, you'll get a degree. And yes you can attend a graduation ceremony but you don't have to if you don't want to.
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
Well, monthly is an estimate - some courses are more often, some less often. And they have different forms, so some courses have phone tutorials with just you and your tutor, but others have face-to-face or online with the rest of your group. But the thing is they are optional so you don't have to go if you really can't manage it - or if it's because of a medical reason they might be able to help with that.

Not all courses have exams - in my degree I'm only gonna have 3! And again, if it's medical reasons then you might be able to sit them in a separate room or whatever would help you.

Yes, you'll get a degree. And yes you can attend a graduation ceremony but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Okay, but I assume that if the course has exams that they'd be in an institution, so for me, Living not to far from Edge hill Uni, I guess exams may be held there?
Curious, if there are no exams then won't I be guaranteed to gain a degree?

Do you study at the OU? what are you studying for?
Reply 7
Okay, but I assume that if the course has exams that they'd be in an institution, so for me, Living not to far from Edge hill Uni, I guess exams may be held there?
Curious, if there are no exams then won't I be guaranteed to gain a degree?

Do you study at the OU? what are you studying for?

Exams can be held anywhere. My exams are held at a place called "the Christian centre", and I've even heard of them being held at football clubs. So no, you're not guaranteed to go to that uni for exams. All they need is a building big enough that they can hire really.

Most degree pathways will have some exams in them. If you take the "Open Degree" which is basically where you take any modules you want (although there are some restrictions, such as you can't take some courses unless you've done others first) then you can find a combination of modules which will have no exams - but it will be a bit of this, a bit of that, and ooooh throw that in there too. If you want something a bit more related or one of their named degrees then you will need an exam at some point.

I'm studying for a degree in Social Sciences with Economics.
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
Exams can be held anywhere. My exams are held at a place called "the Christian centre", and I've even heard of them being held at football clubs. So no, you're not guaranteed to go to that uni for exams. All they need is a building big enough that they can hire really.

Most degree pathways will have some exams in them. If you take the "Open Degree" which is basically where you take any modules you want (although there are some restrictions, such as you can't take some courses unless you've done others first) then you can find a combination of modules which will have no exams - but it will be a bit of this, a bit of that, and ooooh throw that in there too. If you want something a bit more related or one of their named degrees then you will need an exam at some point.

I'm studying for a degree in Social Sciences with Economics.

Thanks,
I've often wondered, what is social science?

EDIT: from start to finish, how long will it take for YOU to complete your course at the OU?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks,
I've often wondered, what is social science?

Although I study it I can't give you a great definition. It's things to do with people, though - so a bit of sociology, psychology etc.
Original post by Juno

Most degree pathways will have some exams in them. If you take the "Open Degree" which is basically where you take any modules you want (although there are some restrictions, such as you can't take some courses unless you've done others first) then you can find a combination of modules which will have no exams

There is another restriction on what modules you can and can't take. If you opt for say, maths and science, you can't take a course in English. You must take courses that are either just Arts or Science.

But if you opt for the BSc, you can take whatever science based modules you want.
Reply 11
Original post by OU Student
There is another restriction on what modules you can and can't take. If you opt for say, maths and science, you can't take a course in English. You must take courses that are either just Arts or Science.

My understanding, as far as the Open Degree goes, is that you can combine whatever you like (so long as you do the relevant prerequisites for anything which needs them), and then, to quote the OU, "Whether you qualify for a BA (Hons) Open degree or a BSc (Hons) Open degree will be determined by the number of credits you have from modules suitable for a BA or for a BSc" i.e. they'll figure out which you're getting once you've done it. (I cherish the glorious hope that my Open Degree combining Creative Writing and Design might turn out to be a BSc - the design modules are mostly 'T's, after all - just 'cos I think that would be funny.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
It sounds great to me unless I'm missing something?? it kind of sounds to good to be true.

It is for me:smile: (someone else who isn't mad keen on the company of others)
but you have to put the hours in.
Reply 13
Original post by OU Student

But if you opt for the BSc, you can take whatever science based modules you want.

:lies:
Original post by Persipan
My understanding, as far as the Open Degree goes, is that you can combine whatever you like (so long as you do the relevant prerequisites for anything which needs them), and then, to quote the OU, "Whether you qualify for a BA (Hons) Open degree or a BSc (Hons) Open degree will be determined by the number of credits you have from modules suitable for a BA or for a BSc" i.e. they'll figure out which you're getting once you've done it. (I cherish the glorious hope that my Open Degree combining Creative Writing and Design might turn out to be a BSc - the design modules are mostly 'T's, after all - just 'cos I think that would be funny.)

:withstupid:
Reply 14

Well, that's a ringing endorsement! :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by sputum
It is for me:smile: (someone else who isn't mad keen on the company of others)
but you have to put the hours in.

I would prefer to study in the comfort of my home surroundings whilst I'm so anxious.

Lol,

Edit: Out of curiosity, as an OU student yourself, can you tell me if you need asn ID badge as a OU student?

Another reason I wouldn't like to go to an actual Uni campus is because I don't want an ID badge, its a personal matter
Reply 16
I would prefer to study in the comfort of my home surroundings whilst I'm so anxious.

If you have medical back up - ie a doctor's note - you might be able to get exams in your own home although obviously you'd still need an invigilator.

Edit: Out of curiosity, as an OU student yourself, can you tell me if you need asn ID badge as a OU student?

Another reason I wouldn't like to go to an actual Uni campus is because I don't want an ID badge, its a personal matter

You need some form of ID to take with you to exams, but you can use an existing passport/driving licence etc for that. You can get an OU student card or an NUS card if you want, but you need to apply for it rather than it automatically being sent, so no you don't have to. And you can apply for a library card if you want to use library services, but again it's optional.
Reply 17
I got an NUS card purely so I can get cheap cinema tickets...
Reply 18
Original post by Juno
If you have medical back up - ie a doctor's note - you might be able to get exams in your own home although obviously you'd still need an invigilator.

You need some form of ID to take with you to exams, but you can use an existing passport/driving licence etc for that. You can get an OU student card or an NUS card if you want, but you need to apply for it rather than it automatically being sent, so no you don't have to. And you can apply for a library card if you want to use library services, but again it's optional.

I'll be fine to go along to an occasional exam, I could handle that.

I have a driving license and a passport so that would be valid ID I guess.

Where is the Open University library btw?

Not to be rude, hope you don't mind me asking but how much will you have paid for your course at the end? does it work out cheaper than studying at an actual campus?
Reply 19
I'll be fine to go along to an occasional exam, I could handle that.

I have a driving license and a passport so that would be valid ID I guess.

Where is the Open University library btw?

Not to be rude, hope you don't mind me asking but how much will you have paid for your course at the end? does it work out cheaper than studying at an actual campus?

Well, I think the OU have an actual library somewhere, probably Milton Keynes. But the idea is that they have agreements with other unis that you can use their libraries, as long as you've applied for the special library card.

And I'm on the old fees so it will turn out I've only paid a couple of hundred quid or so.

Quick Reply

Latest