The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm the only one going to uni because I enjoy my subject?

Am I the only one that feels like they're going to university because they enjoy the subject they have chosen to study and would like to advance their knowledge at a higher level?

Don't get me wrong I'm not some super genius, nor some guy with super awesome Cambridge grades or somebody who does nothing better.

Don't get me wrong I understand and I applaud the fact a degree can open doors and give you a chance to get better jobs etc and I like that and it is certainly an attractive thing but everybody just seems to think a degree is a magic slip with entitlement to a job.

I'm not particularly money motivated but I mean, everybody with a degree can't have a job, so what does everybody expect?

Anybody else genuinely have a big interest in their subject and kind of want just three years to advance that, get something out of it and have a great time at uni too and not see it as a means to an end for getting a job?

Scroll to see replies

It's a combination of the two for me.

I'm going to do an Engineering degree in September because I love engineering, how things work, designing and I'm really interested in my course.

But it's also due to the fact to get ANY engineering job you need a degree.

I'm guessing it's a mixture of the two for most people really.

Why would you go to uni to do something you hated, just because it got you a good job at the end?
Reply 2
Well kinda, Im about to do accounting but ultimately want to work for one of the big 4
Reply 3
I love the sort of thing I am going to be doing.

As the poster above has said its a balance.

I wouldn't do a subject just because I loved it if it was going to cost me £9000 a year, but if it was free i probably would, there has to be some indication that i will be able to afford doing the course for me to do the course :smile:
Reply 4
I'm unbelievably excited to go to university for the same reasons. I'm so passionate about my course, I can't wait to learn more about it. Plus, employers come to the uni and "head hunt" you so to speak, with a near enough 100% employability rate at the end. But I'm so enthusiastic about it because it's such an interesting course I can't wait to get stuck in!
Reply 5
If I was motivated by money/career opportunites there is no way I would have chosen a classics degree :lol:
I'm mainly going because I love to learn.
But also because I want to work for the Foreign Service or in law, and I need to go to uni to do that.
Reply 7
Original post by medbh4805
If I was motivated by money/career opportunites there is no way I would have chosen a classics degree :lol:

or a Oriental studies with Classics degree :colondollar:
Reply 8
Sounds like you have been on TSR too long OP - so many people here seem to consider university only a career prospect enhancer.
Reply 9
Original post by Frey

:ahee:

we can be poor grads together :five:
Reply 10
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Am I the only one that feels like they're going to university because they enjoy the subject they have chosen to study and would like to advance their knowledge at a higher level?

Don't get me wrong I'm not some super genius, nor some guy with super awesome Cambridge grades or somebody who does nothing better.

Don't get me wrong I understand and I applaud the fact a degree can open doors and give you a chance to get better jobs etc and I like that and it is certainly an attractive thing but everybody just seems to think a degree is a magic slip with entitlement to a job.

I'm not particularly money motivated but I mean, everybody with a degree can't have a job, so what does everybody expect?

Anybody else genuinely have a big interest in their subject and kind of want just three years to advance that, get something out of it and have a great time at uni too and not see it as a means to an end for getting a job?

I see uni as a means of kick starting my social life into gear 5, it's not all about getting a job and I pity anyone who sacrifices their uni experience solely to achieving the means of getting a good job.
Not going to Lie - But im going Uni to hopefully get a job and ££$$ - :frown: Thats the truth
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Agenda Suicide

yes I feel the same as you, I have applied for combined english literature and history so at the end of it I will probably be unemployed forever.
Reply 13
Original post by Frey

Oriental studies? Might be able to flip some burgers in macdonalds with that under your belt.
I think I'd rather carry out research instead of aiming for a job that pays well.
I am doing it for career prospects and a little bit for the social. If I didnt like my subjects I would still go and put up with it but if my subject didnt improve my career prospects I wouldnt bother. I do enjoy my subject and uni has made me like it even more but for over £30k of debt and all the money my parents pay, I don't think it I could justify that this early in my life if it was just for fun. If I wanted to learn i would just buy the books.
Reply 16
Original post by tinman1
Oriental studies? Might be able to flip some burgers in macdonalds with that under your belt.

just because it has 'studies' in it doesn't make it a derp-degree..
It's just an umbrella term used to cover pretty much every Eastern culture which you can study at Oxford univeristy, from Biblical Hebrew to Sanskrit to Classical Chinese to Hittite to Arabic.

Would you like fries with that?
Reply 17
Original post by medbh4805
:ahee:

we can be poor grads together :five:

We can be hobo-bards singing the Iliad, Ramayana and Aeneid and whatnot.. :pierre:
Reply 18
I'm interested in IT, so naturally i'm going to study computer science, obviously you need some kind of interest in the subject but I wouldn't study something just for fun with no job prospects at the end. I'm happy a lot of students study worthless degress though like history or english, because that means there will always be someone to serve me at mcdonalds.

Edit: oh crap I forgot I was on TSR...50% do English and I insulted it! oh well.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm going for the freedom tbh :tongue:

Here in Scotland we don't pay tuition fees so it's not such a calculated investment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending