The Student Room Group

On course for 3 A*

On course for 3 A* in my A Levels.

But I have got a D in my Maths GCSE.

Will this affect the chances of me making it to a good University? :/

Scroll to see replies

yeah you need at least a C for it, what subjects are you doing?
Reply 2
what year are you in? What a levels? what degree do you want to do? What unis?
Reply 3
Maybe, because most of them seem to have a 'standard' minimum requirement of a C or B in gcse maths and english lang that apply across the board of courses.
Reply 4
retake it. won't take you long. i'm surprised though. 3 A* in a-levels wouldn't normally correlate to a D in GCSE maths. depends what they are in i suppose
Reply 5
Original post by neon
retake it. won't take you long. i'm surprised though. 3 A* in a-levels wouldn't normally correlate to a D in GCSE maths. depends what they are in i suppose

Personally I'm not too surprised by cases like these, often people do badly at gcse (and a-level as well) because of immaturity and just generally not taking studies seriously enough or not managing well with work/life balance, I don't really don't think its indicative of someone's ability. I assume OP must've had a shock at the start of 6th form and decided to knuckle down with his A-levels.
Reply 6
Original post by neon

Does anybody know where I can retake it during the summer? :/
Reply 7
Original post by ryansboro

This place will let you do it (if you're in/near london - i'm sure there are similar places too) you could also ask your school/schools in the area to see if you can register with them for exams. Obviously you'd have to pay any exam/tutoring costs.:
http://www.campbellharris.co.uk/
But obviously you can only take exams in the exam periods (so november and the summer). I'd say ring them up, arrange it, learn over the summer break and take it in november. It isn't cheap though

If you're currently in year 13, then it's too late, as the summer GCSE Maths exams have passed now. If you're in year 12, you can retake at your school or college if you pay for the exam entry.
Original post by neon
This place will let you do it (if you're in/near london - i'm sure there are similar places too) you could also ask your school/schools in the area to see if you can register with them for exams. Obviously you'd have to pay any exam/tutoring costs.:
http://www.campbellharris.co.uk/
But obviously you can only take exams in the exam periods (so november and the summer). I'd say ring them up, arrange it, learn over the summer break and take it in november. It isn't cheap though

You can no longer take GCSE exams in November, as from September 2012 the government have scrapped modular assessment, so all GCSE exams must now be taken in the summer.
Reply 10
Original post by Flyteryder
You can no longer take GCSE exams in November, as from September 2012 the government have scrapped modular assessment, so all GCSE exams must now be taken in the summer.

Is there a way to take one whole exam in January which is worth 100% of the GCSE then?

- I'm in a problem because I don't want to wait till the summer as the GCSE results are released after the A level results. this could mean I lose out on Accommodation at University.
Reply 11
Original post by Supportive mum
I thought you were doing a BTEC, not A levels?

Shared account Mr.
Is there a way to take one whole exam in January which is worth 100% of the GCSE then?

- I'm in a problem because I don't want to wait till the summer as the GCSE results are released after the A level results. this could mean I lose out on Accommodation at University.

Unfortunately, not any more no.

On your UCAS you can put your current GCSE Maths grade, and put another one as 'pending', and get a teacher to predict you a C grade on your application. Getting a C in GCSE Maths would then form part of your university offer, along with your A-levels, as long as the universities you apply to don't mind you doing it like this. You should phone the universities you are interested in applying to, to see if they would accept it this way. This is all providing your are in your first year of A-levels.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13

A lot of universities offer equivalency tests in maths and english. It would be worthwhile looking into that.
Reply 14
On course for 3 A* in my A Levels.

But I have got a D in my Maths GCSE.

Will this affect the chances of me making it to a good University? :/

Retake it.. as a private candidate if you can't do it in your college/sixth form.

Good luck! :smile:
To be honest an A* in maths/physics/chemistry at A2 is more indicative of your ability than a D at GCSE. What are your subjects?
Original post by Rainingshame
To be honest an A* in maths/physics/chemistry at A2 is more indicative of your ability than a D at GCSE. What are your subjects?

The point is that if you don't have a C in GCSE Maths you will be auto rejected from 99% of universities, no matter what A-levels you have unless you are planning to retake it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by LucyJ12
Retake it.. as a private candidate if you can't do it in your college/sixth form.

Good luck! :smile:

Would be nice to take it sometime over the summer or January at the latest but I'm not sure how :/
is one of the A levels maths? I'd've thought you'd be able to get around the requirement if so, by talking to the university. I've wondered about this for a while, if anyone knows for sure I'd like to be told.
Original post by Flyteryder
The point is that if you don't have a C in GCSE Maths you will be auto rejected from 99% of universities, no matter what A-levels you have unless you are planning to retake it.

I'm pretty sure an A* in maths would far override a D at GCSE.... getting an A* in physics at A2 requires a higher ability of maths than a C/B at GCSE. I'm sure the admissions tutors would take it as such. If it's really an issue re-take at the end of year 13 or in November (they still allow it for English and maths). The things you need to learn to do to get an A* can be written on a sheet of A4.

Quick Reply

Latest