The Student Room Group

Can I get student finance if I switch courses after 2 years on my current course?

I have completed two years of my current course and am currently taking a break in study for 2023/24, I am set to return to my course for my final year (third year) in September.

I was wondering if it was possible to change courses starting in year 2 of the new course then continue to my final year in the new course (so an extra two years on the new course starting it in the second year) and still get funded by student finance for an additional 2 years?

The new course is 3 years long but I would only be doing 2 years starting in year 2.
Original post by anonymous1234234
I have completed two years of my current course and am currently taking a break in study for 2023/24, I am set to return to my course for my final year (third year) in September.
I was wondering if it was possible to change courses starting in year 2 of the new course then continue to my final year in the new course (so an extra two years on the new course starting it in the second year) and still get funded by student finance for an additional 2 years?
The new course is 3 years long but I would only be doing 2 years starting in year 2.
Hi there,

Is this for a full time course and have you any previous study prior to the course you've completed the two years on? Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,
Is this for a full time course and have you any previous study prior to the course you've completed the two years on? Thanks, Jason
The new course is full time, possibly 3 or 4 years long depending on if I do a placement year.

The only undergraduate study I have done are the two years of my current course which were funded by student finance.
The new course is full time, possibly 3 or 4 years long depending on if I do a placement year.
The only undergraduate study I have done are the two years of my current course which were funded by student finance.
Hi there. With 2 years of previous study, you would be eligible for Tuition Fee for years 2 and 3 of a 3 year course and for years 2,3 and 4 of a 4 year course. Thanks - David
Original post by David SLC
Hi there. With 2 years of previous study, you would be eligible for Tuition Fee for years 2 and 3 of a 3 year course and for years 2,3 and 4 of a 4 year course. Thanks - David

If I've done two funded years of my current course which is 4 years, and I'm switching to a 3 year course can I get 3 years funding for the new course?
If I've done two funded years of my current course which is 4 years, and I'm switching to a 3 year course can I get 3 years funding for the new course?

Hi there,

This means you won't be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan in Year 1 of any new course you study.

However, if you have Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for not completing your previous course we can award you an additional year of funding. Please see the link below for more information on this.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
This means you won't be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan in Year 1 of any new course you study.
However, if you have Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for not completing your previous course we can award you an additional year of funding. Please see the link below for more information on this.
Thanks, Graeme
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

If I want to switch to 3 or 4 year course at a different university, and I have already had 2 funded years for my current university course at my current university, can I still get 2/3 years funding for the new course which is at a different university?

Also how does maintenance loan work when you switch courses?
Hi there,

If you have only had 2 years of previous study and have had no repeat years before if you start in year 2 of a new 3/4 year course you will get full funding for all those years but you will not have an additional year of funding anymore. You will get the Tuition Fee Loan and the Maintenance Loan for all years.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending