The Student Room Group

Second degree - course eligibility for SFE funding

Hi there,

I'm presently studying for a physics degree as a second degree on a part-time basis, and receiving SFE funding. Due to a change in personal circumstances, I'm looking to transfer to the distance learning BSc (Hons) in Astronomy offered by the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan). Please can you confirm whether this degree would still fall within the list of subjects (e.g. "physical sciences") that qualify for SFE funding for second degrees studied part-time?

Many thanks!
Original post by iad84
Hi there,

I'm presently studying for a physics degree as a second degree on a part-time basis, and receiving SFE funding. Due to a change in personal circumstances, I'm looking to transfer to the distance learning BSc (Hons) in Astronomy offered by the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan). Please can you confirm whether this degree would still fall within the list of subjects (e.g. "physical sciences") that qualify for SFE funding for second degrees studied part-time?

Many thanks!

Hi there,

Can you confirm when it would start and how long the course would be?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Can you confirm when it would start and how long the course would be?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire,

I'm still making enquiries with UCLan to see whether I can join the course mid-year and whether I could transfer any of the credits from my current course, but worst-case it would start in September 2024 and last for six years.

Many thanks.
Original post by iad84
Hi Claire,

I'm still making enquiries with UCLan to see whether I can join the course mid-year and whether I could transfer any of the credits from my current course, but worst-case it would start in September 2024 and last for six years.

Many thanks.

The courses that are showing at the moment are only for 3 years part time and are eligible. We wouldn't know if this is still the same for 2024 as the courses don't go on the system till next year. Applications open normally June for part time. Keep checking our website for this opening and applying as soon as they do, so we can then confirm for definite.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
The courses that are showing at the moment are only for 3 years part time and are eligible. We wouldn't know if this is still the same for 2024 as the courses don't go on the system till next year. Applications open normally June for part time. Keep checking our website for this opening and applying as soon as they do, so we can then confirm for definite.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire,

Thanks for your reply. I don't quite follow the 3 years part-time aspect - a degree course is 3 years when studied full-time, so a degree studied part-time will always be longer than 3 years?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by iad84
Hi Claire,

Thanks for your reply. I don't quite follow the 3 years part-time aspect - a degree course is 3 years when studied full-time, so a degree studied part-time will always be longer than 3 years?

Hi there,

The course may take more than 3 years but that is what we have on the database just now. It may just be a guide to work towards. Also it may be a part time course but has full time credits and would be completed in 3 years.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending