The Student Room Group

Things you wish you knew before A-Level.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by britchick
It's do-able but it took me a long time to get the hang of. End of AS levels I got AAAD with the D in Physics. I resat one of the papers this Jan which brought it up to a B overall and I've resat the other paper this June which hopefully has brought it up to an A. The maths definitely gets better with practise and you get the hang of it the more it goes on. Hopefully at the end of the A-level I'll scrape a B. But I've found it very stressful as I'm lumbered with the task of teaching myself the maths everybody already understands before I can understand the concepts. Just be aware of how much there will be and keep on top of it/ask teachers for help all the time if you don't get it.

thanks, yeah thats what i'm planning on doing i hope it won't be too bad, the physics teachers at my school are good at least
good luck with your results
I wish I knew how hard it really was............
Original post by JessicaF22
thanks, yeah thats what i'm planning on doing i hope it won't be too bad, the physics teachers at my school are good at least
good luck with your results

Thanks, best of luck with your results!
I have edexcel for all of my A levels next year, are they a good exam board?

I hear everyone despises OCR, but is edexcel as bad?
Reply 164
1. The kind of things that I would be asked in an Oxbridge interview. I could have prepared more throughout the whole of Year 12.
2. How to write AS Level coursework essays after GCSE. Seems crazy how hard I found AS English in comparison to A2. When I figured out how to do it, it got much easier.
3. Revise Philosophy and Ethics. You won't retake it and it'll just annoy you for the rest of your life :p: And you do have the potential to get a good mark.
4. Read more in general.
5. Don't put off the homework. It really isn't that hard and doesn't need to be left until the last minute.
6. Be more proactive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by S_123
The kind of things that I would be asked in an Oxbridge interview. I could have prepared more throughout the whole of Year 12.

What kind of thing's did they ask you, (and for what subject?) :biggrin:

That is if you are in year 13
Wish I could go back and tell myself to not go to my horror of a sixth form, firstly. Secondly, just to be constantly proactive and find out the way in which I learn sooner rather than ok later. Also, never rely on just your teachers' notes.
I wish i knew that aqa biology requires you to look at so many past papers.
That it's not a good idea to pick subjects you don't like.

(it sounds so obvious looking back... :moon:)
Reply 169
Original post by Procrastination

Mine was for English. It was really silly of me but I just expected them to ask me about the books I'd written in my personal statement when they didn't at all. They asked me about books I'd read recently and since I hadn't expected to be asked that, I hadn't researched those books or found any criticisms on them at all. Needless to say, my interview was a little embarrassing as I looked so under prepared :p: :laugh: Oh well! I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't have gotten in even if that part had gone well! :p: It's just I had really prepared for that part and, because of my stupidity, it went badly when it could have been the one thing that went okay. Oh well you live and learn :smile:

Are you applying to Oxford/Cambridge?
Original post by S_123
Mine was for English. It was really silly of me but I just expected them to ask me about the books I'd written in my personal statement when they didn't at all. They asked me about books I'd read recently and since I hadn't expected to be asked that, I hadn't researched those books or found any criticisms on them at all. Needless to say, my interview was a little embarrassing as I looked so under prepared :p: :laugh: Oh well! I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't have gotten in even if that part had gone well! :p: It's just I had really prepared for that part and, because of my stupidity, it went badly when it could have been the one thing that went okay. Oh well you live and learn :smile:

Are you applying to Oxford/Cambridge?

I have no idea, I'm only in year 11 at the moment, however my school has a reputation for Oxbridge places. I'd love to go, but I just have to see how AS levels go first. :biggrin:
I have no idea, I'm only in year 11 at the moment, however my school has a reputation for Oxbridge places. I'd love to go, but I just have to see how AS levels go first. :biggrin:

which school do you go to? strangely enough our school sends most pupils to oxbridge every year...
Reply 172
That you will have no life for 2 years
If your chemistry teacher says that you'll enjoy chemistry at A level, she's lying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 174

I had my Cambridge interview in December for MML (somehow got an offer)
I heard so many stories about how it was going to tear you to pieces...
However I adored mine!
I got asked to read a short German story then discuss it. they asked me what a few words meant and then I had to compare some of it to the bible. Then they asked me about some of the German books I've read.
In my italian ab initio interview, they just asked about why I want to study it. Any books I've read in translation then a few random questions such as 'How does the leaning tower of pisa portray italian culture!'
It was great fun though! Good luck, just read over summer and you'll be fine :smile:
1. Revise extra early especially for AS year; with A2 it's slightly more manageable as you get proper study leave, with AS it's bye to school then, bam, 7 exams in the next 5 days. You can't revise over a weekend for that.

2. Also try to avoid having to retake because it's just an extra stress on top of anything else.. so again, revise during the spring holidays for AS!

3. Do not take part in obscene amounts of extra-curriculars in the Autumn term of Year 13

4. EPQ is hard work but a lot of fun; avoid leaving it to the last minute if you do it

5. Everyone will be stressed out, so be sensitive, but if you need a hug everyone else will know what you're going through and can help out
Teachers aren't always (and often not) right. Do not take their word as gospel or over what the textbook / spec says.
Original post by Frankster
which school do you go to? strangely enough our school sends most pupils to oxbridge every year...

Sorry, but I don't want so say, but it's a state grammar school.
Original post by emmaaa88
but if you need a hug everyone else will know what you're going through and can help out

18 GCSE exams done, 3 more to go. Posts in this thread not making it any better for next year. I feel I need a hug already :frown:
Sorry, but I don't want so say, but it's a state grammar school.

Aaah right.. yeah ours is a grammar school as well.

Quick Reply

Latest