The Student Room Group

Getting 59.666666666% : 2.1 or 2.2?

xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by milesofsea
Do unis round up?

I've heard something about universities here not taking anything below 60 as a 2.1, but it seems a bit harsh?

Anyone had experience with this?

Yes they do, so a 2:1
Reply 2
It depends on the university, but I would guess it will be a 2:1.

Some uni's count 57 as a 2:1 apparently, a bit of a joke just to get more of their students up to a higher standard.
Reply 3
In nearly all cases yes. You might need to do a viva of sorts, but it's not a big deal. They know how important a 2:1 is when it comes to postgrad stuff and jobs, so they're pretty lenient about less than half a percent.
Depends if they use the Arithmetic Average or Dominant Quality

Or if they are feeling nice. It may seem harsh but thats life, people have missed out on 1st because of 0.5%. People miss out on 2.1 you have to have a cut off

If the cut off is 60% then its a 2.2
If like my uni it was 59.5% it is a 2.1 just
at my uni if you get in the top two % of the lower category, you might be bumped up to the higher category if you have a majority of modules for which you got a higher classification grade. For example, you might have 5 2.is, 2 2.iis and a 3rd, and an average of 58.4% but you'd still get your 2.i because you got more than 58% and have a majority of 2.i modules.
If we're told that first year doesn't count, do they include those modules in this?

no they don't. And also it depends on the weighting of each module. So our degree comprises 27 parts, a second year module is 1/27, a final year module 2/27 etc. so in theory 2 final year modules are worth more than 3 second year modules (4/27 vs. 3/27)
Original post by Democracy
In nearly all cases yes. You might need to do a viva of sorts, but it's not a big deal. They know how important a 2:1 is when it comes to postgrad stuff and jobs, so they're pretty lenient about less than half a percent.

Nearly all cases seems a little too much.

At RHUL, the policy seems to be that if you're within 2% of the grade boundary and more than 5 half units are in the above boundary, only then are you moved up.

(120 units per year, full unit is 30, half is 15).

So, for example, if I get 58% in my third year, and I have 8 half modules, and 4 are a 2:2 and 4 are a 2:1, I will not be moved up to a 2:1, since I only have 4 half modules in the above class.

I think this is a fair system, to be honest - it removes flukes and investment into just one module, eg, in maths one could easily focus on two modules, get 90+ and then forget about the other 6 and get low 2:2's, resulting in scraping a 2:1 overall.
Really depends on the uni and the course. Oxford Music, for example, probably wouldn't round that up. Best thing to do is read your course handbook or ask your personal tutor :yes:
Reply 9
Glad someones posted this as it's near enough my query. I am waiting for 1 mark which equals 1.25% of my overall degree and I'm currently on 59.3%...talk about leaving me on tenterhooks!
Reply 10
It depends entirely on the university.

At mine, you have eight modules in second year and eight modules in third year. Third year modules count for twice as much as second year modules, so every third year module counts as two. (So you have eight from second year and "sixteen" from third year.)

If you got an average of 59.66%, this makes an average of 59.7%. This is only rounded up to a 2.1 if you have "12" or more out of the "24" modules as 2.1's or above.

I actually know a person who got 59.6% as their average and they were awarded a 2.2 since they didn't have at least half of their modules as 2.1 or above. :frown:
Reply 11
At my uni, second and third year modules are weighted equally, and this year (out of 6 mods) I got 4 modules at 2.1, 2 at 2.2

so...if it's the same as yours and I have to have at least half the modules at 2.1, I need 2 more modules to be at 2.1 to get a 2.1 overall?

Yes, if your university does it like mine, then you will need two more modules at 2.1 or above to graduate with a 2.1 classification.
Happened to me one year, they rounded up
Hello did you manage to achieve a 2:1 overall?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending