The Student Room Group

Did anyone else get an audition for the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony? (Part 2)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Lucky30
This made me laugh out loud :smile: I have sticks of the green variety which are holding out nicely at the moment thank you! RockerG having seen ur drumming style you had better watch yours doesn't end up in the queens lap during our 7+ passes!! :wink:

:biggrin: That's what I must have been picked for! It certainly wasn't my good looks! :colone:
Original post by Ropey1
Also got the Rio reserve email but as we're both now in Opening ceremonies am not too disappointed. Very much got the feeling that looks played a big part in the initial casting judging by the fuss our dance leader was making of some people's good looks and how great they were going to look in the costumes. I think I was concentrating too much to smile alot! The email does suggest there will be plenty more casting in the next few weeks and at my audition they suggested most people would be in, in some shape or form. Lets keep fingers crossed for the first 'deserve' to be cast!

Hi Ropey, I actually experienced the opposite to what you say. I heard one of the auditionees joking that she would not wear a thong and exposing bra set (a la rio carnivale) and the organisers were saying that they would never make someone wear what they were not comfortable with. In fact I would say that the people were really supportive. I guess all auditions were different. Really hope you get a place :smile:
Original post by Olympian
Dont give up hope Emma, there is still a chance that people wont be able to make the commitment and drop out which i would have thought is quite likley :smile:

Thanks Olympian, we shall see what happens :smile:

On a side note, went to the hospital with my knee today.....

X-Ray clear so no bone has come off
MRI - to be booked

But from what he said, I think a meniscus tear is looking very likely. But because I have to wait for my scan, there is nothing i can do but wait and deal with the pain until I next see him.... in September!!!!!
Reply 163
Original post by Flakeydom
Good call... I spotted a couple of bits and wondered (i.e. the names of some parts of the G&P, I'm guessing) although not sure if that would help me.

Anyhow... to important matters... are we definitely starting at Tap East on Sunday at 1? Drumbeat, I know that there's still The Cow but Tap East has much much much better beer!

FYI Noticed a place called The Calf walking through last night - just round the corner from The Cow (a chain or "herd" :smile:)
Reply 164
How do your friends and family cope with you, shifting every conversation to an olympic topic?
They hope it will wear off after the first rehearsal. Does it?

Just some examples...
I neither want it to rain on the weekend, because...
Please don't infect me with you cold, because.....
I am busy doing all my weekend chores during the week because.....
Oh, I won't be in town on the day of the torch relay because.....
It is ok that I did not get a spare ticket to the technical rehearsal for the opening ceremony because....
Reply 165
Original post by courieuse
How do your friends and family cope with you, shifting every conversation to an olympic topic?

Just some examples...
It is ok that I did not get a spare ticket to the technical rehearsal for the opening ceremony because....

Nope....... friends and family (unless they are also involved) get a glazed look in their eyes when the subject comes up, hence, this lovely forum where we are all of the same ilk and don't get bored talking about it :wink:
Original post by RocKeRG
I should point out that CornishScot actually kindly started 4 new tidy threads as a continuation of the old one, but initially I hadn't clocked what they were. It confused a few others too. As there was no way to put a note on the old, closed, thread pointing us at the new ones, I thought the simplest thing would be to clone the old thread title, It also is a lot simpler to follow one thread, especially for Flakeydom doing the spreadsheet!

Anyway, let's see how quick we fill up the 500 page limit of this thread! :cool:

Sorry for the confusion guys but I was only trying to help out and glad we resolved the issue another way by getting this "part 2" segment up and running instead and so well (as it seems to be).

Cheers!
(edited 11 years ago)
Originally Posted by shadwell_lad after main Olympics ceremony auditions in November 2011:-

I don't think I've seen anyone say they have a rejection yet so really the chances are good. My view was that they were looking for a small number of people who they could obviously eliminate for whatever reason rather than everyone having to pass (if that makes sense!)

could be the same approach being adopted re. Rio Flag Handover (as to who does/doesn't get selected).

Also remember they are probably only casting for the Olympics handover at the moment so anyone not used for that may, as a reserve, get first dibs at paralympics handover - particularly if they offer help on production side for the former showing they are still keen, interested and not willing to be completely "forgotten about" by the decision makers in the interim.

Go with the flow I'd say if you possibly can ................. what have you to lose?
(edited 11 years ago)
Great to see many returnees to this thread I just wanted to make sure that as many of you as possible are aware of this new thread's existence :smile:

Re: Rio. No reserve email - yet but I'm sure it's on its way. Tackling what was said re casting, I do believe the main factor is availability. Looks also has a part because I overheard someone from casting mentioned something about tall dancers for certain parts.

Regarding the Reserve / Deserve emails, it sounds to me that they're possible Understudy roles because at the end of the email it mentions something about them hoping to be in touch. So to me, it doesn't sound like a downright "no" but a possible "maybe you'll be in with a chance of a Casting role in the forseeable future."
Original post by OneAndOnlyEmmaW
Thanks Olympian, we shall see what happens :smile:

On a side note, went to the hospital with my knee today.....

X-Ray clear so no bone has come off
MRI - to be booked

But from what he said, I think a meniscus tear is looking very likely. But because I have to wait for my scan, there is nothing i can do but wait and deal with the pain until I next see him.... in September!!!!!

...... but hopefully not until after 9th September 2012 now (with fingers crossed that the problem clears up/does not get worse in the interim hopefully, just in case you do get to perform).
Following on from what Cornishscot is saying, as I applied for the Paralympics, I take it that my reserve email will be sent when they start casting for that then? Let's see....

Just some examples...

Not friends exactly but I'm certain a few of my band and work acquaintances think I'm quite mad (I do not play/have never played any sport, which they know, so why am I so interested in the Olympics all of a sudden?) and don't quite fully believe 100% that I've even auditioned, let alone been selected after all this time for anything - they have assumed (possibly correctly, who knows) that I was not good enough to be selected first time around or even hopeless which, for the record, I still DO NOT think was the case - however I accept the reality that if there are more applicants than places (as we know there were) then those casting performers have to choose who they want and disappoint everyone else.
(edited 11 years ago)
Lovetodance, dancinggirl1984, kayleighbaby, Caroline27, and Terpsikhore: congratulations on getting roles for the Rio handover. I'm really happy for you.

I've had the same email from the Rio handover team as TheOneAndOnlyEmmaW, saying that I'm "standby cast". My email system classified the message as spam, so if you're waiting to hear from the Rio handover team, do check your junk folder.

It isn't clear to me whether "standby cast" means (a) that I might get a second or third round offer (or I might not), (b) that I might get an understudy role, ie. be asked to go along to rehearsals without a guaranteed cast place (or I might not), or (c) both/either. Pinnerite seems to be saying it's (a) and Bignic12 thought that it's (b). Can anyone clarify?

Being an understudy would be a problem for me. I'd love to be involved in any way, but it'd be hard for me to arrange time off work to attend rehearsals if it wasn't certain I'd actually be in the show. So if you're "standby cast" and they're going to have understudies, smile - you have less competition for an understudy role than you thought.
Whatever happens, I'm very glad I gave it a go.

Ponha um pouco de amor numa cadencia / E vai ver que ninquem no mundo vence / A beleza que tem um samba, nao.
Put a bit of love in the cadence / And you'll see that no-one in the world can overcome / The beauty of a samba, no.
(From "Samba do Bencao" by Vinicius de Morais)
Original post by Dancerwoman
Re: Rio. No reserve email - yet but I'm sure it's on its way. Tackling what was said re casting, I do believe the main factor is availability. Looks also has a part because I overheard someone from casting mentioned something about tall dancers for certain parts.

Yes looks could be a factor too - I am more than a bit chunky and also very pale skinned (not like so many who auditioned who were naturally Latino
in appearance because they were Brazilian, Spanish, Italian nationals or of that descent/parentage or even black-skinned so I probably didn't have "the look" they were after either if the former is what they wanted. No proof of that of course, just my own speculation but, given that this is a show about Brazilian culture after all, then that theory adds up (in my mind at least) and it is therefore acceptable for people to be rejected on that basis, if they have plenty other auditionees who do fit the bill to choose from, even if you have the "Samba" rhythm or movement skills required for the role.

Being an existing Samba Dancer/Drummer already known to one of the 2 main samba groups (i.e. London School of Samba and Paraiso) represented at the auditions might have greatly improved your chances of being selected too, provided you had the skills and "the look" they were after too of course as well as the availability for the Olympic closing ceremony rehearsals (or flexibility to do both if need be).
(edited 11 years ago)
Great to see many returnees to this thread I just wanted to make sure that as many of you as possible are aware of this new thread's existence :smile:

Regarding the Reserve / Deserve emails, it sounds to me that they're possible Understudy roles because at the end of the email it mentions something about them hoping to be in touch. So to me, it doesn't sound like a downright "no" but a possible "maybe you'll be in with a chance of a Casting role in the forseeable future."

Not sure if I'm reading these threads right (sorry i'm a newbie) But I think it's unfair to say that people have only been successful because they are either tall/good looking/both. I'm sure there are many people who are good dancers/drummers and have good availability for rehearsals (ie they are not performing in other ceremonies). Please ignore me if Ive got the wrong end of the stick :-)
Reply 175

They don't! It wore off after the first audition... I soon shut up. This is my own little secret. :cool:
Reply 176
Original post by kayleighbaby
Not sure if I'm reading these threads right (sorry i'm a newbie) But I think it's unfair to say that people have only been successful because they are either tall/good looking/both. I'm sure there are many people who are good dancers/drummers and have good availability for rehearsals (ie they are not performing in other ceremonies). Please ignore me if Ive got the wrong end of the stick :-)

The problem is Kayleigh, that we have no idea what parameters were used to pick people. Certainly I noticed on Tuesday that the Placard Bearers were to a man (:biggrin:), all lovely ladies of roughly the same height! And many of the FOP Warriors seemed to be large, strong men, but overall we can find no method in their madness! I'm sure there is a plan somewhere though. :cool:
Re: Rio. No reserve email - yet but I'm sure it's on its way. Tackling what was said re casting, I do believe the main factor is availability.

It does sound like that may be the case - the confirmation email for people with offers starts with a paragraph on the lines of "Congratulations, your audition was great and your availability generally fits with the existing rehearsal times".
Hi everyone!! :tongue:

I have been so addicted to this thread its unreal! :colondollar:
Im probably on here every hour checking for updates lol

Anyway... I posted back in April when i found out that i had a cast offer in the Olympic Closing Ceremony. Since then I have had 5 rehearsals that have been cancelled :frown: We should have started 23rd May but our first rehearsal isnt until 1st July now! Im finding it really frustrating lol i just want to know what we will be actually doing! Cant wait! I just hope they dont cancel again...

I have also auditioned for the Rio handover (May 26th 2pm) :biggrin:
I wrote on my availibility form that i couldnt do the Olympic one as i am already in the closing.. but then I heard back from them on Friday congratulating me on getting in :biggrin: I asked if it was for the Paralympics but they said no the Olympics.
I told them i had marked it on the form that i couldnt & they said they would see if they can work around it so that i can do both. If not they should be able to put me in the Paralympics.
I then got a call Monday saying it wont be possible to do both & asked me to email them to say i would like to do the paras.
And then i got an email congratulating me on getting into the Olympic closing lol... So at the moment i dont really have a clue what im doing but probably the Paralympics closing.

Im so excited about the whole thing! This will be an experience of a lifetime! :biggrin:

Id like to say THANK YOU to everyone on here... without you i wouldnt have even known about the Rio auditions! Its amazing how supportive everyone is :clap2:
Original post by Terpsikhore
It does sound like that may be the case - the confirmation email for people with offers starts with a paragraph on the lines of "Congratulations, your audition was great and your availability generally fits with the existing rehearsal times".

When did you receive your confirmation email Terpsikhore?

Quick Reply

Latest