The Student Room Group

Can universities see when I was suspended from school?

I'm in year 11 at the moment, and a few months ago I was externally suspended for 3 days for having alcohol in my bag at school (Yes, I know it was stupid). Will universities see my suspension when I apply? It won't be mentioned on my reference as it's not that big of a deal like a knife or drugs would be, and I know that the teacher who is going to write my reference won't mention it anyway (I already spoke to him about it), but do universities have another way of seeing it? The police were never involved, so I wasn't warned or cautioned for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Thanks a lot to anyone who answers :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
No, universities won't find out.
Reply 2
Original post by Cheren
I'm in year 11 at the moment, and a few months ago I was externally suspended for 3 days for having alcohol in my bag at school (Yes, it was stupid, I don't need anyone to tell me that). Will universities see my suspension when I apply? It won't be mentioned on my reference as it's not that big of a deal like a knife or drugs would be, and I know that the teacher who is going to write my reference won't mention it anyway (I already spoke to him about it), but do universities have another way of seeing it? The police were never involved, so I wasn't warned or cautioned for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Thanks a lot to anyone who answers :smile:

How do you even know that person is going to write your reference?

2ndly references are about how they see you and your abilities to go to university, it's not like they are write bad stuff.

I'm not sure if that's on your school record and whether it goes to your university.

But it shouldn't matter, Universities know that kids grow up and become mature, so you shouldn't be worrying about it so early.
Reply 3
It depends, sometimes they check things like your attendance when considering you, so they could find out.
Reply 4
Original post by Iqbal007
How do you even know that person is going to write your reference?

2ndly references are about how they see you and your abilities to go to university, it's not like they are write bad stuff.

I'm not sure if that's on your school record and whether it goes to your university.

But it shouldn't matter, Universities know that kids grow up and become mature, so you shouldn't be worrying about it so early.

I know he's going to write my reference because he's my form teacher and at my school the form teachers always write the references.

I was just worried about the headteacher telling him to write about my suspension and making him write things like I'm irresponsible, or the universities themselves seeing my school record.
Reply 5
If your referee has agreed not to mention it and the police weren't involved, you have nothing to worry about.
Reply 6
Original post by Cheren
I know he's going to write my reference because he's my form teacher and at my school the form teachers always write the references.

I was just worried about the headteacher telling him to write about my suspension and making him write things like I'm irresponsible, or the universities themselves seeing my school record.

Don't your form teacher change for 6th form?

And plus the headteacher wouldn't be bothered with that.............most schools from what I recall at my college, have a certain format of writing to make the reference clear and tell the uni what they want to know. And they wouldn't write your suspension in your reference, especially if it's a minor one. It doesn't reflect you as a person. I don't even think they look at that record.
Reply 7
Original post by Iqbal007
Don't your form teacher change for 6th form?

And plus the headteacher wouldn't be bothered with that.............most schools from what I recall at my college, have a certain format of writing to make the reference clear and tell the uni what they want to know. And they wouldn't write your suspension in your reference, especially if it's a minor one. It doesn't reflect you as a person. I don't even think they look at that record.

No, at my school we have the same form teacher from year 7 right the way through school, even in sixth form.

Good to know they probably won't look, thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Cheren
No, at my school we have the same form teacher from year 7 right the way through school, even in sixth form.

Good to know they probably won't look, thanks :smile:

ok :smile:
They usually only ask for sixth form attendance. Plus references can't say anything bad about you. It's what you don't say about you that shows what you're really like. Or my form tutor said that they use certain phrases for things. Like if you're quiet and don't answer questions etc in class they'll write 'xxxx has had the opportunity to take part in class discussions and answer questions.' This shows that you didn't take those opportunities.
Unless your referee mentions it in the reference, then no :smile:
Thank you so much because i got suspened for taking my blazer off during a thing in my school called internal where u stay in a room for a whole day put it doesnt go on your record

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending