The Student Room Group

Suspend studies or not?

Hello I am in my last year of uni and I'm exhausted and mentally drained from everything. I do not have any student finance funding left and was wandering if I should suspend my studies as my mental health is really deteriorating and finish my studies off next year instead. If I suspend my studies and ask my tutor if I could finish it off next year , will I be able to get funding for it by student finance ?
Original post by Partyanimal123
Hello I am in my last year of uni and I'm exhausted and mentally drained from everything. I do not have any student finance funding left and was wandering if I should suspend my studies as my mental health is really deteriorating and finish my studies off next year instead. If I suspend my studies and ask my tutor if I could finish it off next year , will I be able to get funding for it by student finance ?

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your current situation. How many years is your current course? Have you ever had to repeat a year previously? How many years of previous study do you have? Thanks, Leah.
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your current situation. How many years is your current course? Have you ever had to repeat a year previously? How many years of previous study do you have? Thanks, Leah.

No I've not had to repeat a year... I dropped out of uni in my first year then did another course. My current course is 3 years . And I have 3 years of previous study
(edited 5 months ago)
No I've not had to repeat a year... I dropped out of uni in my first year then did another course. My current course is 3 years . And I have 3 years of previous study

Thank you. Just to clarify, you have 1 year from a previous course, and 3 years from your current course? Thanks, Leah.
Yes x
Yes x

Hi there, As you mentioned you are nor able to continue your course due to your health. We can consider awarding an additional year of funding based on Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). We would require evidence as follows: A letter detailing your CPA and evidence of your mitigating circumstances.Where applicable, we recommend evidence;**

Is signed and dated

Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

When this took place

[start]We can accept photocopies of the following;**[/start]

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Angela

Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, As you mentioned you are nor able to continue your course due to your health. We can consider awarding an additional year of funding based on Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). We would require evidence as follows: A letter detailing your CPA and evidence of your mitigating circumstances.Where applicable, we recommend evidence;**

Is signed and dated

Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

When this took place

[start]We can accept photocopies of the following;**[/start]

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Angela

I've been struggling with my mental health since April 2023 however my mental health has deteriorated...will my circumstances be accepted?
I've been struggling with my mental health since April 2023 however my mental health has deteriorated...will my circumstances be accepted?

Hi there, if you have evidence to support your claim and it lines up with the Academic Year then it will be reviewed. Thanks, Ross
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there, if you have evidence to support your claim and it lines up with the Academic Year then it will be reviewed. Thanks, Ross

Can I suspend in the middle of semester one , without submitting any assignments for semester one ?
Can I suspend in the middle of semester one , without submitting any assignments for semester one ?

Hi there,

You can, yes. It's up to your university decide if they're happy for you to do this, so we'd definitely suggest checking this with them.

Thanks, Graeme
If I suspend my studies due to mental health reasons, and finish the course off at another institution/uni would I still able to apply for mitigating circumstances?
If I suspend my studies due to mental health reasons, and finish the course off at another institution/uni would I still able to apply for mitigating circumstances?

Hi there,

Would you be able to enter the new university and continue just with your final year? Thanks, Ross
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there,

Would you be able to enter the new university and continue just with your final year? Thanks, Ross

Yes

Hi there, You would need to discuss this with your university. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending