The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by und

Why would you consider taking all three papers if you're applying for Chemistry?

For fun

:party:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 381
Original post by TheMagicMan
They're not publicly available to the best of my knowledge...they were given to me by my school

Do you have them on hand? I'll probably have forgotten by the time I run out of questions, but I don't want to inconvenience you either if it means you're going to have to sift through loads of folders to find them.
Original post by und
1. Tomorrow.
2. Lots of people do, but it depends on your circumstances whether this will be useful.
3. Perhaps. As long as they don't suddenly give you a STEP offer, but I don't think they would.

Why would you consider taking all three papers if you're applying for Chemistry?

I presumed you had to do all three to get an overall 'STEP'. I enjoy maths, and I thought it would be nice to challenge myself. Might only do one then.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Kind of disagree. You need to keep STEP prep regular. And doing it too soon means you have less to practise on later, which will make your prep too widespread. I really think people should calm down for now, we don't even know if we'll get offers yet!

No but I found it helped with everything.

Not only A level maths/further maths, but also my interview, and general maths ability

And there are 26 years worth of papers, so I dont think you'll run out.
Original post by und
Do you have them on hand? I'll probably have forgotten by the time I run out of questions, but I don't want to inconvenience you either if it means you're going to have to sift through loads of folders to find them.

I need a scanner to put them up...web I eventually do I'll post them in the step thread so they will be there

Original post by Pepsi555647
No but I found it helped with everything.

Not only A level maths/further maths, but also my interview, and general maths ability

Perhaps. I don't know, I prefer leaving II and III to later and have an intense 6 months of prep than a year of "casual prep" :tongue: - if you see what I mean. Each to his own I guess!
Original post by Pepsi555647

26 years sounds like a lot but it only takes 400-500 hours to do every STEP question (which isn't that much if we're talking a whole year )

Original post by TheMagicMan
26 years sounds like a lot but it only takes 400-500 hours to do every STEP question (which isn't that much if we're talking a whole year )

Nooo definitely not much.... Thats an hour and a half a day! Bit ridiculous!

Reply 388
Original post by CJG21
I presumed you had to do all three to get an overall 'STEP'. I enjoy maths, and I thought it would be nice to challenge myself. Might only do one then.

STEP I and II test A level Maths (though STEP II is harder) and STEP III tests Further Maths.
I don't mean to interrupt, but are there any Oxford MAT preparation folk in here or do they hang out elsewhere?
Original post by Refrigerator
I don't mean to interrupt, but are there any Oxford MAT preparation folk in here or do they hang out elsewhere?

Elsewhere! :eek: How dare you ask? :tongue:
Reply 391

Probably in that other thread for those who are applying to that other place.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure most of tsr stalks this thread :tongue:

MAT/STEP: it's all the same thing really isn't it? Although last year the step thread was almost closed down because some of the problems posed were getting so difficult :wink:

Reply 393
Was getting my teeth into the Silkos booklet but I'll get started on the STEP I papers.

MAT, STEP and interviews at both Universities (Warwick doesn't interview) all test how well candidates respond to problems. So it's good to practice working on extension work - problems that need no extra technical knowledge, but are not routine in nature.

For example:

(a) prove x^2 + y^2 >= 2xy

is a routine piece of bookwork.

(b) prove x^2 + y^2 + z^2 >= xy + yz + zx

is clearly a related question. Since it's asked after (a), there is a hint that the two are linked. The required skill to practice is to make the link.

You can just look up the solution. But that isn't the point. It's finding it that matters.
Original post by Prendah
Christ, this looks daunting. How do people who have only done AS Further Maths/Maths begin? Since a lot of the questions involve the other units. Or should I not worry too much at the moment and just familiarize myself with the questions?

I taught myself C3/4 in September (started the week after school started and finished mid October) which I think helped a lot. Certainly have both done before January. I also did FP2/3 before January which helped too :smile:
Reply 396
Original post by hassi94
I taught myself C3/4 in September (started the week after school started and finished mid October) which I think helped a lot. Certainly have both done before January. I also did FP2/3 before January which helped too :smile:

Did this take long? I plan on doing this too.
Original post by CD315
Did this take long? I plan on doing this too.

As I said, about a month for C3/4 and 2-3 for FP2/3

Wasn't really working at any sort of pace though so you can get it done much quicker.
Reply 398

Can we make a MAT specific thread? Because really, the two tests are very much different. There are types of Q on MAT which don't feature on STEP and lets face it the mathematical difficulty with STEP is far greater. There must be some people doing MAT?
Reply 399
Original post by hassi94
As I said, about a month for C3/4 and 2-3 for FP2/3

Wasn't really working at any sort of pace though so you can get it done much quicker.

I'll see how it goes :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending