The Student Room Group

Which UK universities apart from Oxbridge are comparable to the Ivy Leagues?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by beaver_tron
Well, really, for the things your looking for, you should just look at international rankings, not ivy league, as not all the ivy league unis are the best in the world, UCL ranks 4th right now. And MIT probably number 1. Ivy league is a term for describing some of the oldest new england universities (and their sports league against each other), not prestige. Cal tech would be one of the better ones, and it isnt Ivy league. I think the OP's quesiton is stupid.

PRSOM.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012

Worth searching by your subject as well, in the UK you'll be applying for your major (effectively) right off the bat.

Note:
QS rankings vary quite a bit from The Times, say. That's principally because their metric doesn't aggregate "student satisfaction", it's based on research, and what academics think, etc.

Personally, I think that's much better.

If you don't, you should look at the alternative tables such as "alcoholic units consumed per week by average student", or "# sexual partners in first term". Student Satisfaction as used by The Times, Guardian and the like is an odd middle ground.

I applied based on where the course is best, and I think QS gives a good indication for that.
Some non Ivy league colleges are much better than the ivy ones--- top 5/6 USA- MIT >Harvard >Stanford >Caltech> (Yale/princeton) Top 5 UK - Cambridge > Imperial > Oxford > LSE > UCL
Original post by lolcopter
Some non Ivy league colleges are much better than the ivy ones--- top 5/6 USA- MIT >Harvard >Stanford >Caltech> (Yale/princeton) Top 5 UK - Cambridge > Imperial > Oxford > LSE > UCL

MIT better than Harvard?

Imperial better than Oxford?

What brand of weed are you smoking that is better than the cheap ones they sell on the streets of Brixton on Mondays?
Original post by LutherVan
MIT better than Harvard?

Imperial better than Oxford?

What brand of weed are you smoking that is better than the cheap ones they sell on the streets of Brixton on Mondays?

The brand those damn comp sci/engineering kids smoke these days. They have tunnel vision, life does not exist outside of computer science.
Original post by Okorange
The brand those damn comp sci/engineering kids smoke these days. They have tunnel vision, life does not exist outside of computer science.

As an Oxford computer scientist, I take umbrage to your post. Oxford is still better than imperial for sciences. lol. There are just more of them at Imperial.
Original post by 08rbut
Imperial, LSE, UCL, and a few other Russell Group unis? In a foreign country though, the ones that people will know about are Oxbridge.

Why the negs? All of these unis are great, and comparable to Ivy League, the ones listed are pretty much the best in the UK. And its true, in a foreign country, Oxford and Cambridge are the universities known, even above Harvard/Prineton/Yale...

Not above Harvard and Yale. Harvard is always listed as top on any survey -- it has an endowment of $14 BILLION to spend on its 6,500 undergraduate students. Oxbridge competes, for sure, but I've never seen them in the top 3 spots of a major ranking. LSE is universally known around the work -- and St Andrews, thanks to Prince William.
Original post by chappedhands
Not above Harvard and Yale. Harvard is always listed as top on any survey -- it has an endowment of $14 BILLION to spend on its 6,500 undergraduate students. Oxbridge competes, for sure, but I've never seen them in the top 3 spots of a major ranking. LSE is universally known around the work -- and St Andrews, thanks to Prince William.

Harvard doesn't just spend its endowment on its undergraduates.

I suggest you change the provider of your spectacles to SpecSavers and then after you exploit their 2-for-1 Xmas offer, look at the major international league tables again.

You will have the benefit of 2 quality spectacles this time around to aid your eyesight.
Original post by LutherVan
I suggest you change the provider of your spectacles to SpecSavers and then after you exploit their 2-for-1 Xmas offer, look at the major international league tables again.

You will have the benefit of 2 quality spectacles this time around to aid your eyesight.

OK, of a MAJOR INTERNATIONAL RANKING. Find me one, and prove me wrong. Yes, in the top 10 but not in the top 3.
OK, of a MAJOR INTERNATIONAL RANKING. Find me one, and prove me wrong. Yes, in the top 10 but not in the top 3.

Geez!

Do you live in some rurality too far from specsavers or you find specsavers too expensive?

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014-15/world-ranking

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2014#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2006.html

http://emerging.fr/rank_en.html

Or you can't count up to 3 really?
Reply 410

Harvard's endowment is over $30 Billion. Or are you stating that $14 billion of that $30 billion is restricted to undergraduate spending?
Original post by Aphalleon
Are you guys being serious!? Realistically only Imperial and LSE can be comparable. People don't understand, Ivy League has a globally famous name equivalent to Oxford and Cambridge, sure not everyone can name all the ivy leagues but they have heard if Ivy League as a whole. In terms of global prestige like the OP wanted only Imperial and LSE can compete.

People don't realise British unis with the exception of Oxbridge,LSE, Imperial, St Andrews (thnx royal family) are the only ones who are VERY well known, Durham and UCL will barely raise any eyebrows

You are aware that some of the ivy leagues are regarded as not being great. Dartmouth and Brown (Potentially Cornell) are far below UCL, LSE, King's, St Andrews, heck even maybe Warwick in terms of teaching and worldwide recognition.
Look at the world university rankings and you'll see exactly what I mean, UChicago for example has departments that rival HYPSM but don't get the same recognition worldwide, only in the league tables.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending