The Student Room Group

Choosing a levels

Hi, sorry if Listed this in the wrong place I'm new here, I was just wondering if the a levels I had in mind were a good choice for an ict related career, i was thinking of english literature, business studies, it, and computing.

I have gcses in; English language,English literature, maths, double science, it, computing, geography, religious studies, and two btecs in sport.

Any help or advice appreciated thanks
If you want to do programming/computer science/intelligent systems when you're older then the best subjects to choose are the following:

.Maths (A2)
.Further Maths (A2)
.Physics (A2)
.Computing (AS)
Reply 2
Original post by Ned Flanders
If you want to do programming/computer science/intelligent systems when you're older then the best subjects to choose are the following:

.Maths (A2)
.Further Maths (A2)
.Physics (A2)
.Computing (AS)

Not necessary, maths is the only one that is really needed, that or physics. The rest you can choose whatever you like.
Original post by deathhead
Not necessary, maths is the only one that is really needed, that or physics. The rest you can choose whatever you like.

These are the best A-levels to choose if you want to do Computer science at a top University, such as Oxbridge, ICL, UCL, etc. They prefer to have both Maths and Physics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ned Flanders
These are the best A-levels to choose if you want to do Computer science at a top University, such as Oxbridge, ICL, UCL, etc. They prefer to have both Maths and Physics.

Fair enough, for the average person, though, needing grades of e.g. AAA. What I said would suffice.
Maths is necessary. Further Maths would be good. Computing is needed and another of your choice. Literature won't help you.
Reply 6
Right, I currently have an offer for computer science at university of Birmingham - a university that is very good for the subject. I took maths, English, history. They don't care which grades each gets as long as I hit the offer. So yeah, don't worry too much at all about choosing a level choices solely for the degree you want to do. You may even change your mind, so do what I did and pick something sciency like maths or physics for the uni to want you (both of which are hard) then pick whatever you want.
Reply 7
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to swap business studies for either maths or physics

I'm really interested in physics, however im not that interested or good at maths ( got grade B).

Also when computing was mentioned does that mean it has to be computing or can it be ict or computing? Thanks.
Reply 8
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to swap business studies for either maths or physics<br />
<br />
I'm really interested in physics, however im not that interested or good at maths ( got grade B).<br />
<br />
Also when computing was mentioned does that mean it has to be computing or can it be ict or computing? Thanks.

Maths is seriously one of the hardest A Levels, if you think you won't be prepared to work very hard at it then don't take it. Physics is good tho. But that is probably equally as hard.

Do not take ICT. Computing is what you want out of the two. ICT is a terrible excuse of an A Level.

Yes business studies is a well known doss subject.

Quick Reply

Latest