The Student Room Group

China builds more 'ghost' cities...in Africa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18646243

The ghost towns of China, Ireland and Spain - full of large empty house estates - may be a phenomenon that is on its way to Africa.

Built for people who never move in, they leave those who did with a worthless property they cannot sell.

Perched in an isolated spot some 30km (18 miles) outside Angola's capital, Luanda, Nova Cidade de Kilamba is a brand-new mixed residential development of 750 eight-storey apartment buildings, a dozen schools and more than 100 retail units.

Designed to house up to half a million people when complete, Kilamba has been built by the state-owned China International Trust and Investment Corporation (CITIC) in under three years at a reported cost of $3.5bn (£2.2bn).

Spanning 5,000 hectares (12,355 acres), the development is the largest of several new "satellite cities" being constructed by Chinese firms around Angola, and it is believed to be one of the largest new-build projects on the continent.

http://www.morningwhistle.com/html/2012/Company_Industry_0705/212876.html

The locals clearly can't afford it, so wtf?

There have been lots of theories, but some seem much more plausible than the 'GDP' reason. For example, it is really to house Chinese workers/expats/immigrants etc - i.e. a modern colonization of Africa, this time by China, without the stark slavery and with actual buying and selling.

What do you think is going on here? A modern-day type of colonization? This isn't the first of the 'ghost' cities in Angola - there are numerous others and indeed, there are many others springing up around Africa. Not to mention that China is churning out more than 20 'ghost' cities each year on its own soil (with many being full and large cities with luxury apartments, stadiums. shopping complexes etc but all empty).

(The Daily Mail has an article on this, but I would read it with a pinch of salt:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2168507/Footage-shows-brand-new-Angolan-city-designed-500-000-lying-empty.html )
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd like to see them try colonialism and occupation accross the arab world, the logical outcome would be terrorist attacks in China, and tbh, If Muslims and Arabs think the USA, Europe, Nato Force, Israel etc, are bad, China don't give a **** about public relations and would completely crush that world.
Reply 2
China reminds me of a fresher that just got his first grant money in. From nothing it's now necessary to buy ALL the things.
Original post by prog2djent
I'd like to see them try colonialism and occupation accross the arab world, the logical outcome would be terrorist attacks in China, and tbh, If Muslims and Arabs think the USA, Europe, Nato Force, Israel etc, are bad, China don't give a **** about public relations and would completely crush that world.

The Arab world would be too much trouble for China. Africa is a large continent, the continent with the greatest wealth of resources etc on the planet. Coupled with the fact that there's lots of land (much more than enough for the 1 billion or so Africans) and you have a prime target for China's population matters such as feeding its own populace and even more so, relocating surplus people ( :ahee: ) - 300+ million Chinese are planned to be shipped over the coming years and onwards.
Now I'm no fear-monger or slimy conspiracy theorist, but it would seem that China is planning way, way ahead of many countries of the world in building these large cities, no? Planning for what, I do not know...
Original post by ArthurWinterthurII
Now I'm no fear-monger or slimy conspiracy theorist, but it would seem that China is planning way, way ahead of many countries of the world in building these large cities, no? Planning for what, I do not know...

Now I'm no fear-monger or slimy conspiracy theorist, but almost every conspiracy website I visit is poorly designed and looks pretty ****. But why are these websites so poorly designed and built? I do not know.... >_>
Reply 6
I think it's obvious China wants and is taking a hold in Africa, question is what is the west going to do about it ?
Reply 7
They will sell. Angola is the worlds (or was) most expensive cities. Building all the housing Angola needs for the expansion of the middle class in one go is genius. It's like when we built Stevenage and Milton Keynes after WWII.
Reply 8
Original post by fuzznbass
I think it's obvious China wants and is taking a hold in Africa, question is what is the west going to do about it ?

They cant do anything, most of the west is now bank rolled by China, you dont go and kick your lender do you? :rolleyes:
Original post by fuzznbass

Why would the West have to do anything about it? I think the West should stay out of it - ancestral governments of certain Western powers already had their chance and simply invaded the continent and stole and hugely exploited. At least China is actually laying down business systems and effecting two-way trading that is generating billions upon billions of dollars; unlike throwing charity concerts and dishing out handouts in a patronizing way and not actually doing anything to directly aid in countries of the continent getting on their own two feet - throwing cash at Africa won't solve the continental issues.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ArthurWinterthurII
Why would the West have to do anything about it? I think the West should stay out of it - ancestral governments of certain Western powers already had their chance and simply invaded the continent and stole and hugely exploited. At least China is actually laying down business systems and effecting two-way trading that is generating billions upon billions of dollars; unlike throwing charity concerts and dishing out handouts in a patronizing way and not actually doing anything to directly aid in countries of the continent getting on their own two feet - throwing cash at Africa won't solve the continental issues.

Because the west doesn't want China to flex it's muscles in anyway at all
Original post by cl_steele
They cant do anything, most of the west is now bank rolled by China, you dont go and kick your lender do you? :rolleyes:

America would, did you know they have moved 2500 marines to Australia, to deter China's influence in the South China Sea ?
Reply 13
Original post by cl_steele

It is the other way around, you don't kick your debtor if you want paying back.
Reply 14
China is a resource hungry nation, they don't care what it takes to get those resources.

China in the middle east? You betcha, they are already there, they have huge amounts of investments going on in Iran and any place that offers some kind of resources.

As for ghost towns, there are plenty of ghost towns in China as well :biggrin: Why is everyone surprised?
Original post by Elipsis
They will sell. Angola is the worlds (or was) most expensive cities. Building all the housing Angola needs for the expansion of the middle class in one go is genius. It's like when we built Stevenage and Milton Keynes after WWII.

It was the most expensive for tourist expenses, the locals don't buy from shops they buy from markets so its significantly cheaper
for them. I'm half Angolan and we go every 3 years there on holiday.
Most still live in poverty.
However in the current election I cannot remember which party but my mum was telling me they're going to start subsidising land. To encourage more industry other than oil in Angola. That might include housing even though that's highly unlikely.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Original post by RyanT
It is the other way around, you don't kick your debtor if you want paying back.

This is a very important point people seem to miss.

It's all well and good saying oh no China are owed all this money etc etc, but , if they mess it all up for the west, whose going to pay them? Nobody. They'll be just as bad.
:erm: It's like a poorly coded construction A.I.
Reply 18
China may have its ulterior motives but surely this is one of the best things to happen for the millions of poor Angolans leaving in shanty towns. China here is just doing business by building it in exchange for oil. The government would be forced to make those affordable in order to at get some rents. For once we should applaud an african government that is spending its OIL REVENUE in infrastructure that will benefit the locals
Reply 19
Original post by bkeevin
China may have its ulterior motives but surely this is one of the best things to happen for the millions of poor Angolans leaving in shanty towns. China here is just doing business by building it in exchange for oil. The government would be forced to make those affordable in order to at get some rents. For once we should applaud an african government that is spending its OIL REVENUE in infrastructure that will benefit the locals

It will only benefit the locals if they actually get to live there. Some how I doubt they will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending