The Student Room Group

If people get mad at who they 'percieve' as glory hunters...

What if...

The 'glory hunter'

Who has been supporting the one team for 18 years, suddenly decides to support a local team what does that mean?

I.e a Manchester United supporter who starts to support Chelsea

or

a Liverpool fan who decided to support Arsenal.

Will this make you glory hunter bashers shut up or will you have something else to complain about?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People who cry "glory hunter" make me laugh, as soon as you say you support a good team you're a glory hunter, doesn't matter how long you've been supporting them for. It's just football - even if people are glory hunters, why do people get so riled up about it?
Reply 2
Original post by Mistersjmcg
What if...

The 'glory hunter'

Who has been supporting the one team for 18 years, suddenly decides to support a local team what does that mean?

or

Will this make you glory hunter bashers shut up or will you have something else to complain about?

Depends really.

Using those examples, on one hand people will praise you for supporting your local team. Consequently, others will slam you for not being loyal and switching support to another team.

You support who you want at the end of the day.
Reply 3
I moved from Manchester to Bristol quite a few years ago and im still somehow a glory hunter to some people because i havent changed who i support :dontknow:
Original post by Tommyjw
I moved from Manchester to Bristol quite a few years ago and im still somehow a glory hunter to some people because i havent changed who i support :dontknow:

People obviously haven't thought that people actually move out of town.
Reply 5
When I was a kid I didn't have any team to support so I chose Manchester United because they seemed to win a lot - it seemed as good a reason as any to me. When I declared it to my friends they promptly called me a glory hunter like you mention... So what I take from that experience is that it's more virtuous in football to support the underdog or to doggedly support a team that you used to live near at some point. Though in either case I don't understand it particularly well, or why it matters so greatly which team you support.
Reply 6
Original post by madders94
People who cry "glory hunter" make me laugh, as soon as you say you support a good team you're a glory hunter, doesn't matter how long you've been supporting them for.

I've noticed this too. And it doesn't matter where you come from either. I was born in Plymouth and have lived here all but 9 months of my life. I was once called a glory supporter for supporting Plymouth.:rolleyes::s-smilie: Back in the days when they were in the championship.

If I was a glory supporter, I would be supporting a team like Man United or Chelsea.
Reply 7
.. it's because of the traditional 'identity' argument. your club represents your city, your environment, and hence, in some very vague and almost unrelated way, you.

my father is from the same region as Anzhi Makhachkala, the now-ultrarich club competing in the Russian league. i've grown up abroad and have yet to visit due to the volatile political situation, but i watch them whenever i can and support them as fervently as any local fan when they play a Muscovite team. they represent my people in a way, and i'm proud of them.
Reply 8
Original post by miser
When I was a kid I didn't have any team to support so I chose Manchester United because they seemed to win a lot - it seemed as good a reason as any to me. When I declared it to my friends they promptly called me a glory hunter like you mention... So what I take from that experience is that it's more virtuous in football to support the underdog or to doggedly support a team that you used to live near at some point. Though in either case I don't understand it particularly well, or why it matters so greatly which team you support.

Its because, if you support a team that wins a lot, if gives you the bragging rights all the time and so fans from other teams hate that and so just calls them glory hunters in response.
I'm probably a "glory hunter" because I chose to support Tottenham over Watford :dontknow:
I once got called a glory hunter for supporting Middlesbrough, that alone should be proof enough that it's mostly a stupid phrase. This was all because I've never actually lived in Middlesbrough, going back however every generation of my family before me has so I was always going to support them.
Reply 11
Deciding to support their local team, so like United fans would start supporting City?

:wink:
Reply 12
I support Liverpool.
I use to get called a glory hunter.
Not any more.
Reply 13
I support united and been living in london all my life. #gloryhuntersftw
I wouldn't consider someone a glory hunter who supports a team and knows lots about that team ( like watching games and following player tranfers etc. just generally being knowledgable of the team) however if someone says they support Barcelona and the only player they know is Messi they are glory hunters.
Reply 15
Original post by Mistersjmcg
What if...

The 'glory hunter'

or

I would commend a gloryhunter for doing that.

It shows that they have seen the error of their ways and they are now doing the right thing - supporting their local club.
Reply 16
The girls on Facebok who went "Get in United!" when they won the PL, never wrote a status about football since.
Reply 17
Original post by Jim-Jam
The girls on Facebok who went "Get in United!" when they won the PL, never wrote a status about football since.

This is so true.....
Original post by Tommyjw

True fans don't move 200 miles away from their team.
Reply 19
Original post by Slick Fosbury
True fans don't move 200 miles away from their team.

Lols.

Quick Reply

Latest