The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by c3ntury
Why not? Apart from the obvious reason that it might be seen as an emergency, but I would say it is certainly.

There are two degrees of "emergency" to be honest. There's "A GUY HAS JUST BEEN STABBED IN THE CHEST!!" and then there's "I'd like to report a burglary, oh and also could you direct me to social services?". This occurrence would fall into the second category, wouldn't you agree?

By all means call a number that gives immediate assistance, but I'm pretty sure 999 isn't appropriate.
Original post by usycool1
You could do that but you'd be over complicating things by doing so :smile:

This question is impossible to fully simplify without doing so.. or at least the "answer" at the back of the book purports to that end:

5x(x+y)/5y+2x

That is the answer.. apparently. Of course books can have mistakes but man.. most of the time the mistake would be mine not the author.
Reply 2642
Original post by InvertedLayman
There are two degrees of "emergency" to be honest. There's "A GUY HAS JUST BEEN STABBED IN THE CHEST!!" and then there's "I'd like to report a burglary, oh and also could you direct me to social services?". This occurrence would fall into the second category, wouldn't you agree?

By all means call a number that gives immediate assistance, but I'm pretty sure 999 isn't appropriate.

I can't imagine the person in question has the direct number to social services, so in this case, I stand by my point in which 999 would be appropriate.

Even if 999 just forward him to social services (which is more than likely), it would barely take 5 minutes of the that line, which I doubt are completely stressed out anyway.
Original post by c3ntury
I can't imagine the person in question has the direct number to social services, so in this case, I stand by my point in which 999 would be appropriate.

Even if 999 just forward him to social services (which is more than likely), it would barely take 5 minutes of the that line, which I doubt are completely stressed out anyway.

First point would have been legit, had it only not been the case that the person in question was in contact with that girl (meaning he can get other information from her if he wants).

http://www.police.uk/101/

You don't need the direct number for these sort of things in these sort of situations, at least not any more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sophiekutie
Haha cool :smile: I love maths too! :biggrin: good luck with them :P

Wahay! It's awesome! Thanks! And you too!
First point would have been legit, had it only not been the case that the person in question was in contact with that girl (meaning he can get other information from her if he wants).

http://www.police.uk/101/

You don't need the direct number for these sort of things in these sort of situations, at least not any more.
Have to say I'm with you on this one, a non emergency number is probably best IMO unless all else fails. :smile:
Original post by shyamshah
Going to Belgium tomorrow :smile: but have to wake up at 3am and the journey is 11 hours. It's gonna be a loooong day tomorrow.

I'm going to Belgium on Sunday! Where are you going to? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
x

Original post by c3ntury
x

Wow guys homestly thanks for the help! He's told me he's sleeping at a friends atm and he'll call me tomorrow to see what to do and everything. Didn't expect much but thank you again for the replies!
This question is impossible to fully simplify without doing so.. or at least the "answer" at the back of the book purports to that end:

5x(x+y)/5y+2x

That is the answer.. apparently. Of course books can have mistakes but man.. most of the time the mistake would be mine not the author.

It isn't a mistake in the book :smile: You could multiply by 5 at the start, but I just prefer to do that later :tongue:

This is how to do it:

x2y+xy2y2+25xy\dfrac{x^2y+xy^2}{y^2+\frac{2}{5}xy}

Write it as a factor of y:

y(x2+xy)y(y+25x)\dfrac{y(x^2+xy)}{y(y+\frac{2}{5}x)}

Cancel the 'y's:

x2+xyy+25x\dfrac{x^2+xy}{y+\frac{2}{5}x}

And then multiply by 5

5(x2+xy)5(y+25x)\dfrac{5(x^2+xy)}{5(y+\frac{2}{5}x)}

And then expand and simplify to get the answer in the book :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2649
Original post by Teja_96
Yeah. So sad :frown: At least the man got arrested
True, but apparently a baby died :frown:
Original post by JLKeating
I'm going to Belgium on Sunday! Where are you going to? :smile:

I'm going on a religious trip with the youth group at my local temple, its a place called Radhadesh and it is basically a castle and we will be living in the guesthouse. You?
Original post by shyamshah
I'm going on a religious trip with the youth group at my local temple, its a place called Radhadesh and it is basically a castle and we will be living in the guesthouse. You?

Ah I'm going to somewhere near Mons as my dad lives near there! :smile:

Reply 2652
Original post by c.anez

yeah i know :'(
Original post by c.anez

Doesn't look like it. :smile:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Aurora,_Colorado_shooting#Victims
The victims' ages range from 3 months to 45 years; the 3-month-old boy was discharged after treatment.
Reply 2654
Yeah I heard. :smile:
Now confirmed 12 deaths and 71 injuries... *sigh*
It isn't a mistake in the book :smile: You could multiply by 5 at the start, but I just prefer to do that later :tongue:

This is how to do it:

x2y+xy2y2+25xy\dfrac{x^2y+xy^2}{y^2+\frac{2}{5}xy}

Write it as a factor of y:

y(x2+xy)y(y+25x)\dfrac{y(x^2+xy)}{y(y+\frac{2}{5}x)}

Cancel the 'y's:

x2+xyy+25x\dfrac{x^2+xy}{y+\frac{2}{5}x}

And then multiply by 5

5(x2+xy)5(y+25x)\dfrac{5(x^2+xy)}{5(y+\frac{2}{5}x)}

And then expand and simplify to get the answer in the book :smile:

This is quite the predicament.
Yay. Sehri. :redface:
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
Yay. Sehri. :redface:

Oh the joys :smile:
Is anyone here going to or know of someone going to a Chemistry Camp on the 25th July for three days?
Well done, keep at it :wink:

I'm in Riyadh :smile:

Day number 2...
That's cool..but don't go out during the day...it's like an oven out there:eek:

Latest