The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Freshers at Strathclyde University 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Alice_strt

I'm leaning towads politics as my thid subject, guys, anyone doing that?

I'm doing it, as my first or second subject!
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 381
That's really strange, I've received timetables and everything, was asked to choose my third subject, but never got the details to sign in...

I'm leaning towads politics as my thid subject, guys, anyone doing that?

Pros an cons of law/politics/spanish?

Personally, I wouldn't go for Spanish. I don't know if you previously studied it, but I think you would get a lot more out of Law or Politics for Journalism & Creative Writing. I think I'd go for Politics as a great general knowledge can't hurt in Journalism. Law sounds interesting too, but I don't know if you'd get a lot of use out of it if you only do it one year. Or is it an elective subject you can take through till the end of your degree? Then it might look impressive as you could be somebody who works in a more specialized field.

I'd say Politics, but of course it is down to yourself in the end! :h:
Reply 382
Also I did my first prepack and was amazed :biggrin:
I actually have loads of space. I discovered a very light bag in our cellar that I can stuff with loads of things. So I'll even be able to take personal stuff and all my shoes :love: (although it is not even that many, I might buy some new heels in Scotland :biggrin:)
My mum had put my SAAS award letter to the paper recycling bag... :facepalm: Thank goodness we hadn't taken them to the bins yet!

I hope I can finally finish my online registration next week. I have noo idea about the courses I get to choose, but will most likely start studying Gaidhlig because as far as I know I'll be able to choose it. :dontknow:

Original post by alaska.
all my shoes :love:

I'm going to miss some of my shoes... :emo: Although a lot of them are at the point that there's just no use taking them to Scotland as they'll break straight away. :ninja:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 384
Original post by FinnLassie
My mum had put my SAAS award letter to the paper recycling bag... :facepalm: Thank goodness we hadn't taken them to the bins yet!

I hope I can finally finish my online registration next week. I have noo idea about the courses I get to choose, but will most likely start studying Gaidhlig because as far as I know I'll be able to choose it. :dontknow:

I'm going to miss some of my shoes... :emo: Although a lot of them are at the point that there's just no use taking them to Scotland as they'll break straight away. :ninja:

OMG :biggrin: Does it not say private and confidential on top even?! :biggrin: Deary dear, good that you found it in time!

I take about 7 or 8 pairs. I think I gonna take my winter boots later on. Don't think I'll need them now anyway. Why d'you think they would break?
Original post by alaska.
OMG :biggrin: Does it not say private and confidential on top even?! :biggrin: Deary dear, good that you found it in time!

I take about 7 or 8 pairs. I think I gonna take my winter boots later on. Don't think I'll need them now anyway. Why d'you think they would break?

Haha well it does on the envelope, but apparently I had left it on the dinner table so my mum just binned it haha. Glad that I checked the bag.

Well, the shoes are like 2-5 years old and they aren't in the best shape anymore... :tongue: There's holes in the heels of my favourites but I think I need to let them go haha.
Original post by alaska.
Also I did my first prepack and was amazed :biggrin:
I actually have loads of space. I discovered a very light bag in our cellar that I can stuff with loads of things. So I'll even be able to take personal stuff and all my shoes :love: (although it is not even that many, I might buy some new heels in Scotland :biggrin:)

Yaay :biggrin: So.. I'll send you some of my stuff for you to put in your bags to take to Glasgow?:yep:
Has anyone else not received an email with their timetable yet? :s-smilie: Hope I get it soon!
Original post by ScottishShortiex
Has anyone else not received an email with their timetable yet? :s-smilie: Hope I get it soon!

Nope! But I guess the reason is that I haven't finished my online registration. :dontknow:
Reply 389
Original post by KiaraMarissa
Yaay :biggrin: So.. I'll send you some of my stuff for you to put in your bags to take to Glasgow?:yep:

Haha :biggrin: if that was possible, I'd do it :biggrin: although I probably find lots of things last minute where I decide I want to take them along... That's always the case! When do you fly over again? It was the 12th right?
Reply 390
Haha well it does on the envelope, but apparently I had left it on the dinner table so my mum just binned it haha. Glad that I checked the bag.

Well, the shoes are like 2-5 years old and they aren't in the best shape anymore... :tongue: There's holes in the heels of my favourites but I think I need to let them go haha.

Would be good for warm clubs :biggrin: getting some air to your feet, y'know :wink: I am pretty proud my winter boots are still usable and nice after 4 years! But I know what you mean, I leave some at home as well. It's better to buy some new ones when you get there!

Oh dear! I think I would have had the shock of my life! :shock:
Original post by alaska.
Would be good for warm clubs :biggrin: getting some air to your feet, y'know :wink: I am pretty proud my winter boots are still usable and nice after 4 years! But I know what you mean, I leave some at home as well. It's better to buy some new ones when you get there!

Oh dear! I think I would have had the shock of my life! :shock:

A month ago I decided that I really need to stop going to the shoe stores in Finland, I'm just torturing myself if I see anything nice. Better get new shoes in Scotland haha. I need to get really simple black flats for my work experience periods and they're sooo much more easier to find in Scotland anyways! So scared about getting high heels though, I've seen sooo many tall pumps and almost no shoes with the heel I'm able to use :nooo:
Original post by alaska.
Haha :biggrin: if that was possible, I'd do it :biggrin: although I probably find lots of things last minute where I decide I want to take them along... That's always the case! When do you fly over again? It was the 12th right?

Mehh :frown: that's too bad.
I haven't booked a flight yet but I really should book soon. I'm probably going on the 13th or 14th.

I won't be taking winter boots. I'm chucking my old ones and will be shopping for new ones once I'm in Glasgow. That'll save some space in my suitcases :biggrin: My other shoes are relatively small so it should fit. I have some cheap ones from Primark I could leave at home and repurchase in Glasgow if I really need the space.
Original post by alaska.
Personally, I wouldn't go for Spanish. I don't know if you previously studied it, but I think you would get a lot more out of Law or Politics for Journalism & Creative Writing. I think I'd go for Politics as a great general knowledge can't hurt in Journalism. Law sounds interesting too, but I don't know if you'd get a lot of use out of it if you only do it one year. Or is it an elective subject you can take through till the end of your degree? Then it might look impressive as you could be somebody who works in a more specialized field.

I'd say Politics, but of course it is down to yourself in the end! :h:

Exactly my thoughts! Just asked for opinions to see whether anyone could change my mind, but I think politics, as much as I used to not like it, play a huge role in our lives and just can't be overlooked.

Thank for your opinion :wink:
Reply 394
Hey everyone! :tongue:

So glad I got my firm offer for Psychology at Strathclyde. I'll also be studying Politics and Law. Can't wait for Freshers Week! I'm Gareth, 18, and will be commuting to uni every day. I was skim-reading the previous pages and saw discussion about a meet-up. Really interested in that so I'm not a loner... Glad I'm not the only one in the same boat. :L
Reply 395
has anyone else not received a registration email yet ?:frown:
the last thing i got from strathclyde was my acceptance letter, had my unconditional away back in march or something !
Reply 396
Original post by EmmaM3399
the last thing i got from strathclyde was my acceptance letter, had my unconditional away back in march or something !

I've not received my registration stuff yet, my letter said it would be sent about 2 weeks before my course starts. I don't know if thats just the engineering department. What course you doing?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 397
A month ago I decided that I really need to stop going to the shoe stores in Finland, I'm just torturing myself if I see anything nice. Better get new shoes in Scotland haha. I need to get really simple black flats for my work experience periods and they're sooo much more easier to find in Scotland anyways! So scared about getting high heels though, I've seen sooo many tall pumps and almost no shoes with the heel I'm able to use :nooo:

Ohh, poor you :console: ! I feel you. I know the problem, I have very very thin feet, which is akward to buy any kind of shoe. But simple flats are hardest to find :/ Yeah! Scotland goes crazy with the heels... I promised myself that I can wear shoes as high as I want as long as I can walk in them :yep: Some people just can't walk at all :/ not so graceful ... Personally, I don't like this very very thin heels. I need them slightly bigger to be able to walk in them.

Original post by KiaraMarissa
Mehh :frown: that's too bad.
I haven't booked a flight yet but I really should book soon. I'm probably going on the 13th or 14th.

I won't be taking winter boots. I'm chucking my old ones and will be shopping for new ones once I'm in Glasgow. That'll save some space in my suitcases :biggrin: My other shoes are relatively small so it should fit. I have some cheap ones from Primark I could leave at home and repurchase in Glasgow if I really need the space.

Oh yeah, you really should book soon!! At least you don't have to be afraid anymore of jinxing sth :wink2: Do you have any cheap airline flying to Glasgow or Edinburgh? Prestwick is about as far from Glasgow as Edinburgh Airport the Strathclyde prospectus said. So you might like to take that into account :h:

Oh yeah, Primark shoes are like 3 Euros, are they not?! :biggrin: you should be fine! I have a lot of ankle boots sort of shoes that I love, those ones were the ones I NEEDED to take with me! They weigh a bit more unfortunately. But I am sure you will find some sort of clever way to pack. Try to put socks in the shoes and stuff to save space!:yes:

Exactly my thoughts! Just asked for opinions to see whether anyone could change my mind, but I think politics, as much as I used to not like it, play a huge role in our lives and just can't be overlooked.

Thank for your opinion :wink:

Maybe you will enjoy the subject more at University. I talked to quite a few people who hated a subject at school and really liked it at Uni :smile: Hope you will make the right decision with Politics :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Gareth.B
Hey everyone! :tongue:

So glad I got my firm offer for Psychology at Strathclyde. I'll also be studying Politics and Law. Can't wait for Freshers Week! I'm Gareth, 18, and will be commuting to uni every day. I was skim-reading the previous pages and saw discussion about a meet-up. Really interested in that so I'm not a loner... Glad I'm not the only one in the same boat. :L

Hiyaa! :hi:

How long will you be commuting for? I used to commute to my upper secondary school here in Finland for pretty much an hour each way, I am so glad I get to live a couple of minutes off uni now. :smile:

Yeah, we have a smaller meeting for the Silent Disco on the 15th plus a more official meeting on the 17th. I'll PM you the group link if you'd like to? :smile:

Original post by EmmaM3399

I also had my unconditional way back in March and got my registration e-mail a couple of weeks back! I heard that the uni is sending them in batches, but if you're worried just e-mail the registration office or phone them. :smile:

Original post by alaska.
Ohh, poor you :console: ! I feel you. I know the problem, I have very very thin feet, which is akward to buy any kind of shoe. But simple flats are hardest to find :/ Yeah! Scotland goes crazy with the heels... I promised myself that I can wear shoes as high as I want as long as I can walk in them :yep: Some people just can't walk at all :/ not so graceful ... Personally, I don't like this very very thin heels. I need them slightly bigger to be able to walk in them.

I'm the opposite, wide and high feet run in the family so it's extra hard to find shoes because usually if it fits from the sides it doesn't fit from the top. Thankfully there's Campers shoe store in Glasgow, those fit me perfectly. :smile: Haha I am absolutely terrified of thin heels! I have no idea how some lasses manage. :eek3:
Reply 399
Original post by khelton
I've not received my registration stuff yet, my letter said it would be sent about 2 weeks before my course starts. I don't know if thats just the engineering department. What course you doing?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm doing the llb law course , just freaking out because I'm the only one out of all my friends that doesn't have a registration email.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending