The Student Room Group

Primark thread

Scroll to see replies

Jessikar
Do you have to apply online for Primark? The only vacancies i can find are not the typical 'sales advisor/assisant' ones.

Only the Retail Operative... is that the bog standard ones on the tills???

Everyone who works at Primark (me) has been customer service trained. We are all told that people who want to work for the company would need to apply online. They don't accept CVs anymore.

Retail Operative is basically a sales assistant job. Its just one of their "corporate" words.
Boreism
Everyone who works at Primark (me) has been customer service trained. We are all told that people who want to work for the company would need to apply online. They don't accept CVs anymore.

Retail Operative is basically a sales assistant job. Its just one of their "corporate" words.

Yeppers. I was going to say the same thing.

I wear boring black flat lace up shoes to be honest.
Boreism

Oh but it says you have to have at least 2 years experience in retail and its all about 'managing a department'!!
Reply 383
My hair is kinda shoulder length, a bit shorter in places, that's why I am really worried about the put your hair up rule, it looks funny because I can only make a tiny ponytail. So does that mean I don't have to put it up? :smile:

So lemme see if I get this straight, this are ballerina shoes:

http://www.purseblog.com/images/Tods_Smooth_Leather_Cindy_Ballerina_Shoes.jpg

But these are not and therefore are okay, minus not being black thing :biggrin: :
http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/4c/1a/e3/91924872-250x250-0-0_MIA+Shoes+MIA+Women+s+Hepburn+Flat+Pump+Silver+Sna.jpg
Reply 384
Okay don't really know what happened to my post... strange

My hair is shoulder length, shorter in places, will I still need to tie it up even if I only get a small funny ponytail?

Would something like this be considered a ballerina shoe?
http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/4c/1a/e3/91924872-250x250-0-0_MIA+Shoes+MIA+Women+s+Hepburn+Flat+Pump+Silver+Sna.jpg

Thanks!
Jessikar
Oh but it says you have to have at least 2 years experience in retail and its all about 'managing a department'!!

Well if you are looking to apply for the "Retail Operative" role, then you don't need experience - I did work experience for school so that paid off for me. :smile:

Obviously to be a manager you have to be very hardworking, know how to manage people very well.
Dreamy17
Okay don't really know what happened to my post... strange

My hair is shoulder length, shorter in places, will I still need to tie it up even if I only get a small funny ponytail?

Would something like this be considered a ballerina shoe?

Thanks!

If your length is like mine (short bob), then obviously no you don't have to tie your hair back! :nah:

The links you've put are right those are ballerina shoes. To be honest with you I don't know what kind of shoes they want us to wear. I mean they said no ballerinas, but me and my colleague wears them all the time. :confused:
Whereas the other staff wears one of those canvas shoes (obviously black):

These are the black canvas shoes that most people wear at work:
http://www.office.co.uk/images/shoes/large/73197003_b1.jpg
Reply 387
Boreism
If your length is like mine (short bob), then obviously no you don't have to tie your hair back! :nah:

The links you've put are right those are ballerina shoes. To be honest with you I don't know what kind of shoes they want us to wear. I mean they said no ballerinas, but me and my colleague wears them all the time. :confused:
Whereas the other staff wears one of those canvas shoes (obviously black):

These are the black canvas shoes that most people wear at work:
http://www.office.co.uk/images/shoes/large/73197003_b1.jpg

Thanks!
I was hoping you were going to say that for the hair, to be honest I'd rather get a hair cut than tie my hair up, I don't think it looks very nice on me :biggrin:

As for the shoes I guess I'll just wear them tomorrow and see what they tell me, because during induction they only said the shoes need to be black, and nothing about no ballerina shoes.
Boreism
Well if you are looking to apply for the "Retail Operative" role, then you don't need experience - I did work experience for school so that paid off for me. :smile:

Obviously to be a manager you have to be very hardworking, know how to manage people very well.

Retail Operative:

To be considered for the role you will need to have relevant experience. You will require:

- Strong communication skills and use of English language
- 2 years work experience ideally within retail environment
- Previous experience of working in busy environment as part of a team
- Qualified to GCSE level (or equivalent)

:confused:
Jessikar
Retail Operative:

To be considered for the role you will need to have relevant experience. You will require:

- Strong communication skills and use of English language
- 2 years work experience ideally within retail environment
- Previous experience of working in busy environment as part of a team

- Qualified to GCSE level (or equivalent)

:confused:

You don't need any experience. The majority of workers at Primark didn't have any experience whatsoever and they only started at 16 years old! :wink: Don't worry about it I think they scare people off which doesn't make any sense to us.
I start my job next Saturday and I have to meet the manager at a fire exit door but because im working at the Bolton Primark I dont know which door. Do people know if they will want me to meet them at the Primark fire exit door or the shopping centre fire exit door
I'm really confused and need help :s-smilie:
rebeccajayne
I start my job next Saturday and I have to meet the manager at a fire exit door but because im working at the Bolton Primark I dont know which door. Do people know if they will want me to meet them at the Primark fire exit door or the shopping centre fire exit door
I'm really confused and need help :s-smilie:

I assume it would be the Primark fire exit door, IF it's in an area accessible to the general public. Sorry I can't be of more help; for my interview AND induction, I was asked to go to the staff entrance of my branch of Primark which isn't in a shopping centre. You could, if you've got time beforehand, eg tomorrow, nip up there and look around, then maybe ask visitor services at the shopping centre, or failing that, nip into the store and explain....so then you'll be sure to be ok on Saturday and have one less thing to worry about on the day itself.
FlickeringEmber
I assume it would be the Primark fire exit door, IF it's in an area accessible to the general public. Sorry I can't be of more help; for my interview AND induction, I was asked to go to the staff entrance of my branch of Primark which isn't in a shopping centre. You could, if you've got time beforehand, eg tomorrow, nip up there and look around, then maybe ask visitor services at the shopping centre, or failing that, nip into the store and explain....so then you'll be sure to be ok on Saturday and have one less thing to worry about on the day itself.

Wait a minute, Ive been told that the fire exit is only for...well exit only in an event of a fire. :confused:
FlickeringEmber

Ok thanks for your help :smile:
Wow I didn't realise how many people are THAT desperate for a job... 4,000 people (and a bit) applied for 193 jobs at the new Primark store branch in Blackburn!

Wow 4,000 people and 193 big and smaller numbers here. God for the people who already work at Primark which does very include me ARE VERY LUCKY to have a job there. I thought I would never get a job since I was about 16, now I know how lucky I am! :yes:
Boreism
Wow I didn't realise how many people are THAT desperate for a job... 4,000 people (and a bit) applied for 193 jobs at the new Primark store branch in Blackburn!

Wow 4,000 people and 193 big and smaller numbers here. God for the people who already work at Primark which does very include me ARE VERY LUCKY to have a job there. I thought I would never get a since I was about 16, now I know how lucky I am! :yes:

Wow. I was thinking yesterday how lucky I personally feel to have a job at Primark as I was clothes shopping and felt that a lot of the other stores had bitchy staff and unhelpful staff, mostly. Well, time for me to get ready for my Primark shift now in fact, because I'm in at 8!!:woo:
Does anyone know how long it takes them to contact you after you apply online? And how would they do it?

Ooh and do they even bother contacting you if you're rejected? So many questions...:P:
Reply 397
Carpet21
Does anyone know how long it takes them to contact you after you apply online? And how would they do it?

Ooh and do they even bother contacting you if you're rejected? So many questions...:P:

I would say it depends when did you apply, I applied pretty early and it took more than 2 weeks to hear back from them.

I got an email. In fact the whole communication up until job offer went through emails.

Wouldn't know about being rejected though. Good luck!¨:smile:

And yes I feel very lucky working for Primark, and I love my job! :biggrin:
Reply 398
I have an interview on Tuesday at the Bedford store!
I applied and got an interview email just a couple of hours later. It doesn't say much on the letter and I have some questions.
What should I wear to the interview (smart/casual/formal?)? What sort of questions do you get asked?
Thanks a lot.
If one wanted to work there, would they have to hand their CV in? I went into primark and one of the workers said apply online.. however there are no vacanies where I live :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending