The Student Room Group

Do you smoke?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Used to until i realised it's not even real 'healthy' tobacco. Natural stuff from north american indians 300 years ago etc. Actually had a use then of staving of hunger and giving a bit of a buzz in lean times. This modern stuff is fake...and full of flame accelerates..crazy!!
No I've never smoked anything. To be honest I don't see the point, I can have just as much fun as a smoker if I go out or hang out with a few mates. Just I'm not ****ing up my lungs while I'm out
Original post by Xhotas
You say to someone else to get off their high horse, yet you're still very nicely sat on your own.

"Withdrawal symptoms are myths" what *******s is that? Your body is physically craving that nicotine, your brain is used to having it and wants it, badly. After the first few days/weeks (depending on how much you smoked and for how long) it does get easier, but there is a reason a lot of people relapse.

Take what I said out of context then :rolleyes:

Did I not mention cravings? Cravings are not "cold sweats, headaches, sickness", are they? The reason people relapse is because they think they are giving something up, when they are not. They are gaining many things, they convince themselves it's going to be incredibly hard, convince themselves they are going to have terrible withdrawal pains and it's going to be a nightmare etc... when it doesn't have to be. Once you realise and fully grasp the concept that you have nothing to gain at all from smoking, you do not want to smoke.

You don't need willpower to quit smoking? That's the worst advice I've heard anyone give to someone who'd want to quit smoking. You need a lot of it, you need to physically force yourself to say no to something that you're so used to it's like denying drinking water when you're thirsty.

Worst advice? That's why the bloke who said it was a multi-millionaire and has by far the highest quit success rate with his method than any nicotine substitution or willpower methods have. Who am I going to listen to? Him or you?

I'm sat here thinking you've never been a real smoker and given up at all, you seem to have got off it lightly and gone "oh if it's so easy for me it must be for everyone else, they are all just stupid compared to me."

:rolleyes:

I tried to quit loads of times with the same rubbish I had told to me, "you need willpower, you need patches, you need this that and the next thing", you don't. The only time I was successful was after I read that book. I'm pretty sure some successful quitters could come in this thread and vouch for it, too. The crux of it is he will take any myth or excuse you have to continue smoking and debunk it and expose it for what it is, a myth.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/014103940X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346847583&sr=8-1

Check reviews, this bloke knows a damn lot more than you do. I think I'll take his advice seeing as that's how I eventually quit.

I bought this book for my boyfriend after meeting someone on holiday who recommended it. You have to want to give up to read it - but why would you be reading it otherwise. My boyfriend read the book and is now on week 4 of not smoking. He hasn't had any help i.e. patches, as the book recommends you dont rely on anything. He is amazed at how easy it has been. He has been smoking since he was 14 and is now 47. He was a heavy smoker and has only ever tried to give up once before - and managed 8 days!! He would recommend this book to anyone. It is a psychological look at the the mind of a smoker and makes complete sense. Give it a go!

Hundreds and hundreds of people saying the same thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 223
Original post by Wilfred Little
Take what I said out of context then :rolleyes:

Did I not mention cravings? Cravings are not "cold sweats, headaches, sickness", are they? The reason people relapse is because they think they are giving something up, when they are not. They are gaining many things, they convince themselves it's going to be incredibly hard, convince themselves they are going to have terrible withdrawal pains and it's going to be a nightmare etc... when it doesn't have to be. Once you realise and fully grasp the concept that you have nothing to gain at all from smoking, you do not want to smoke.

Worst advice? That's why the bloke who said it was a multi-millionaire and has by far the highest quit success rate with his method than any nicotine substitution or willpower methods have. Who am I going to listen to? Him or you?

:rolleyes:

I tried to quit loads of times with the same rubbish I had told to me, "you need willpower, you need patches, you need this that and the next thing", you don't. The only time I was successful was after I read that book. I'm pretty sure some successful quitters could come in this thread and vouch for it, too. The crux of it is he will take any myth or excuse you have to continue smoking and debunk it and expose it for what it is, a myth.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/014103940X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346847583&sr=8-1

Check reviews, this bloke knows a damn lot more than you do. I think I'll take his advice seeing as that's how I eventually quit.

Hundreds and hundreds of people saying the same thing.

It literally hit me after I posted it that at 6am it was Alan Carr's method and now I feel like a **** for posting that :rolleyes: This is why I shouldn't post at 6am.
Original post by Xhotas
It literally hit me after I posted it that at 6am it was Alan Carr's method and now I feel like a **** for posting that :rolleyes: This is why I shouldn't post at 6am.

No worries buddy, I've done that myself before :laugh:

You're familiar with his method then I take it?
Reply 225
Used to be a social smoker.

Realised it was a waste of time/money/my health, so gave it up. :rolleyes:
Took a couple of drags of Sheesha a couple of years ago. Unlikely to do it again any time soon though so I clicked no. Never smoked anything else.
Yessssssss. Not every day though, a few times a week/if theres any lying round the house. Can take it or leave it except when I am drunk then I have to smoke...
nope been off the nearly seven mnths now
Nope. I have never tried a single cig in my life and it is not something I plan on ever trying, it really does not appeal to me.

Some of my friends smoke, I never lecture them on their habit but I wish they would not smoke, as a non-smoker the smell can be really overpowering and vile. I understand it is extremely hard to quit once you have been a smoker for some time but I fail to understand why people of a younger generation would decide to smoke in the first place. It was different when my great grandparents were kids and they were clueless to just how detrimental to your health smoking actually was but today the ill effects of smoking are widely and commonly known about yet people still decide to start smoking nevertheless. Why? To ease stress? Surely there must be other non (potentially) lethal methods of managing stress.
Never!
only weed
Reply 232
Nope: don't see the point.
Used to smoke occasionally when drunk, but haven't done so in about five years so no.

I think I've only smoked four full cigs and a cigar in my whole life.
Reply 234
I've never smoked in my life and I can't stand the smell of it.

However I can't help but find guys smoking in films a little bit hot :wink:
I used to, quite a lot, but not anymore.
Original post by rebelli0n
Haha some of you make me laugh like "i'll quit after uni" or "i'll quit before I go to uni".

Do you not realise how hard it is to give up smoking? :L
It's a physical addiction, if you are so used to having them and then just stop, idgaf how much will power you have to say no, you will feel absolutely ****e, cold sweats, headaches, sickness..
I've tried so much, that now it's got to the point where I'd rather just smoke, than feel **** for the month or more that it takes me to try and quit.

naive.

Mate, I've mentioned it before on TSR, but get hold of a copy of Allen Carr's easyway book. If you genuinely want to quit you will with that book. I'm 7 weeks free now and I can say I experienced none of those symptoms you have mentioned. That isnt to say I have had a couple of occasions when I have missed the sensation of smoking and wanted to give in, but it was not willpower which stopped me from smoking again!
Reply 237
Never.

I have a brain.
Original post by Copperknickers
It's mine as well, because I have to walk past you in the street every day and breath in your cancerous fumes every time I walk into any sort of public building. By all means, smoke, but nowhere where non-smokers want to go. Also, littering is illegal, I don't know why smokers seem to think they are exempt from that law when they throw cigarette butts on the ground.

Oh chill the **** out. The effects from second hand smoke outdoors are so minimal it's not even worth noting.
(edited 11 years ago)
Nope, never really wanted to try it.

Quick Reply

Latest