The Student Room Group

Do you smoke?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by llessur123
I smoke about 5 a day. I know it's **** for my health, but it's my health.

It's mine as well, because I have to walk past you in the street every day and breath in your cancerous fumes every time I walk into any sort of public building. By all means, smoke, but nowhere where non-smokers want to go. Also, littering is illegal, I don't know why smokers seem to think they are exempt from that law when they throw cigarette butts on the ground.
Reply 21
No, but I tried a cigarette for the first time last weekend.

I've smoked around 15+ joints in the past and I know the effects of those but I didn't realise cigarettes would be so...pleasant. I know it's not a feeling that would last though once I became addicted so I smoked those two, enjoyed it for a few minutes and swore I'd never do it again.
Nope. There are literally no benefits to doing so and it's ridiculously expensive.
Reply 23
Original post by theonefrombrum
No I don't, I honestly can't see the appeal. I have smoked in the past when I was drunk but it did absolutely nothing for me and infact made me sick.

I understand continuing to smoke once uve started as people usually get addicted but other than wanting to look cool/fit in, why would anyone willingly choose to smoke?

In my case:
It's relaxing
It's something to do with your hands
I enjoy it (to be fair, only sometimes)
It's a good way to clear my head or focus on something (enough physical activity to avoid becoming restless, not so much that I can't think things over well)
And often, sadly, because it helps pass time when there's nothing else to do (bus stops, taxi rides, etc.)
Reply 24
Original post by Copperknickers
It's mine as well, because I have to walk past you in the street every day and breath in your cancerous fumes every time I walk into any sort of public building. By all means, smoke, but nowhere where non-smokers want to go. Also, littering is illegal, I don't know why smokers seem to think they are exempt from that law when they throw cigarette butts on the ground.

I try to be conscious of others when smoking (standing downwind, separating myself from crowds etc.) but let's face it, if I'm standing outside my house smoking and you walk by, who's at fault? Sure, you're just trying to get where you're going but on the other hand, we're outside my house. Mutual respect is important.

As for cancerous fumes, the amount you'll get from walking by a smoker once or twice a day I doubt would suffice to do noticeable harm to you.
Nope, used to smoke when i was drunk, but then realised I didn't really like it at all.

If you live in a town/city then the fumes from the traffic will be doing you more harm than walking past someone smoking a cigarette. Go moan at car drivers.

I smoke alone in my back garden and in my back garden only, so it is unlikely that you will have to breath my fumes or see my cigarette butts. Why would you assume that I litter and blow smoke into peoples face? Most smokers don't do this. Although on that point, even if I did smoke elsewhere the effects of second hand smoke in open air are non-existent, car fumes do more damage.

Some people will inevitably still find something to complain about though, obviously my lung function is of top priority to many people.
(edited 11 years ago)
1) Never seen the attraction
2) If you have health problems like I do and learn about the impact it would have, you'd be pretty stupid to anyway. Alcohol isn't as bad a problem as far as I'm aware in comparison.
Reply 28
Tried it at the start of college.
For me, the social side of it was great, every break time everyone would go out and have a tab. I tried it for about 3 days, about 2-3 tabs a day, and then never went back, it's not for me :smile:
Original post by Eldedu
In my case:
It's relaxing
It's something to do with your hands
I enjoy it (to be fair, only sometimes)
It's a good way to clear my head or focus on something (enough physical activity to avoid becoming restless, not so much that I can't think things over well)
And often, sadly, because it helps pass time when there's nothing else to do (bus stops, taxi rides, etc.)

1) It's not relaxing. You were more relaxed before you started smoking. The cigarette is what causing your restlessness, and the way that you become addicted is because the cigarette makes you feel relaxed when in fact it is the withdrawal symptoms that are causing you to not be relaxed.

2) You can find many other less harmful things to do with your hands.

3) You do not enjoy it. You only think you do, see point 1) about the cigarette causing your restlessness.

4) Right, because you could never focus on anything before you started smoking?

I have nothing against people who smoke. But I hate people who try to make up bull**** reasons to justify it.
Original post by JohnC2211
1) It's not relaxing. You were more relaxed before you started smoking. The cigarette is what causing your restlessness, and the way that you become addicted is because the cigarette makes you feel relaxed when in fact it is the withdrawal symptoms that are causing you to not be relaxed.

3) You do not enjoy it. You only think you do, see point 1) about the cigarette causing your restlessness.

I have nothing against people who smoke. But I hate people who try to make up bull**** reasons to justify it.

Yeah it is pretty pointless really. But they do go well with beer. I stopped drinking beer :frown:
Reply 31
Original post by JohnC2211

1.) I'm afraid it actually does relax me, unlike e-nobs who come in and try to explain my own bodily reactions to me as if I'm too thick to interpret them correctly (can't think of any of said nobs in particular, just know it bugs me :biggrin: ). When I feel nervous before an exam, I'm fairly sure that isn't withdrawal symptoms. When I smoke and feel less nervous, I'm fairly sure that isn't exclusively thanks to the satisfaction my addiction has received. Incidentally I haven't smoked in 15 days. Tomorrow I might smoke a pack. Or maybe 2 cigarettes. Probably, I won't smoke at all. I don't follow a dependant pattern. You'll no doubt find an obnoxious way of explaining that away that suits your preachy agenda and completely disrespects my own opinions on myself...but I'm afraid if there's one thing I'm sure I know more about than you it's myself.

2.) True. I can also find many more harmful things to do, like shoot you. Your point? Playing with paperclips, juggling or flexing my finger muscles may be more constructive but I enjoy it less (or you know my enslaved body is less relieved by it, to put it in your terms)

3.) I like the taste of cigarette smoke. I did from the first time I smoked. When I'm intoxicated, I love feeling the warm smoke go into my lungs. I'm sure I'm just too self-deceiving to realise that I was addicted to cigarettes before I started smoking, hence the taste appreciation was once again just a satisfied craving. :rolleyes:

4.) I said helps me focus, not is elementary to me focusing. You're attacking a straw man. Jolly well done.

I'm not enough of a totalitarian or a fool to really hate anyone (except perhaps Rush Limbaugh) but I am irked by people who aren't satisfied enough with making their own decisions, and so patronizingly take stabs at others who were simply attempting to clarify their personal motivation for adopting an admittedly questionable habit.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not defending smoking. I would never recommend cigarettes to anyone, in the same way that I wouldn't recommend alcohol or drugs, and I fully recognize the dangers of smoking. But I enjoy it, and I'm just not one of those apologetic smokers who hates himself every time he reaches for the pack or constantly tells people he's trying to quit. Someone said they couldn't understand why anyone would smoke and I tried to explain why I in particular did. I don't see what I did to deserve such an aggressive lecture.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
This type of thread has been done to death (I'd know, I made a thread exactly like this a few months ago).

The usual outcome is that most people on here don't smoke (and the occasional argument between an ultra-smoker and an anti-smoker).
Original post by Tahooper
This type of thread has been done to death (I'd know, I made a thread exactly like this a few months ago).

But did yours have a poll on? Did it? Did it?!
Reply 34
Original post by Wilfred Little
But did yours have a poll on? Did it? Did it?!

Yes! Yes it bloody did! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1932723

Yep, just seen it.

Sorry :frown:
I smoke 5 - 10 cigarettes a week, and the occasional cigar (if I'm freshly cashed up).
Reply 37
Original post by Wilfred Little
Yep, just seen it.

Sorry :frown:

That's okay, my threads have a habit of dying shortly after their inception.
Reply 38
Um, no I don't.
I don't smoke cigarettes.
I don't smoke cigars.
I don't smoke a pipe, pipe pipe, pipe, pipe...
I DON'T SMOKE DA REEFA!

(Seriously though, not really. I occasionally smoke shisha, and rarely a cigar but that is all.)
Reply 39
Original post by Mo-Amin
Um, no I don't.
I don't smoke cigarettes.
I don't smoke cigars.
I don't smoke a pipe, pipe pipe, pipe, pipe...
I DON'T SMOKE DA REEFA!

(Seriously though, not really. I occasionally smoke shisha, and rarely a cigar but that is all.)

If you ain't be smoking da reefa how you be knowing da lingo :wink:

Actually just posting because your post made me lol :smile:
Also, my written jamaican accent is awful.

Quick Reply

Latest