The Student Room Group

Do you smoke?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thecookiemonster
Oh chill the **** out. The effects from second hand smoke outdoors is so minimal it's not even worth noting.

This.

Also cigarette ash and paper are two of the most biodegradable substances going and the filters are made from cellulose, which you get from wood.
Original post by thecookiemonster
Oh chill the **** out. The effects from second hand smoke outdoors are so minimal it's not even worth noting.

No, I won't chilll out. It would be considered bad manners to coat yourself in manure every hour when you are out in public, so why it is acceptable to coat yourself in cigarette smoke and make others walk through a cloud of steaming tobacco fumes is totally beyond me. It's a public nuisance that is offensive to your health, your image and all parts of everyone else's respiratory systems: from the nose, through the throat, and into the lungs.

Original post by Wilfred Little
This.

Also cigarette ash and paper are two of the most biodegradable substances going and the filters are made from cellulose, which you get from wood.

It's not about that. Its about the fact that cities are full of cigarette butts lying there on the ground, constantly replenished. It makes the street look trashy and the citizens look like slobs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 242
The issue that I have, and neg away, is that smokers, well aware of the risks of smoking, cost so much to treat that people with diseases that they did not bring upon themselves are not treated because the funds aren't there. This just seems completely unfair to me.

Edit: also, to all of the smokers who say that it's their health so their smoking is none of anyone else's business - it's may be your body, but it's not like your health only effects you - i'm sure anyone who cares about you would be upset by your premature death, and i'd invite anyone who smokes to go and have a look around a stroke ward - smoking is a major cause of stroke and stroke is the largest cause of disability in adults. It is a devastating condition. But within 5-10 years of quitting smoking, the risk to the smoker of contracting and dying of a smoking related illness (e.g. lung cancer, stroke, heart disease) falls back to the level of risk held by a non-smoker.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'll smoke a pipe once or twice a month.
Original post by InkyOne
The issue that I have, and neg away, is that smokers, well aware of the risks of smoking, cost so much to treat that people with diseases that they did not bring upon themselves are not treated because the funds aren't there. This just seems completely unfair to me.

Edit: also, to all of the smokers who say that it's their health so their smoking is none of anyone else's business - it's may be your body, but it's not like your health only effects you - i'm sure anyone who cares about you would be upset by your premature death, and i'd invite anyone who smokes to go and have a look around a stroke ward - smoking is a major cause of stroke and stroke is the largest cause of disability in adults. It is a devastating condition. But within 5-10 years of quitting smoking, the risk to the smoker of contracting and dying of a smoking related illness (e.g. lung cancer, stroke, heart disease) falls back to the level of risk held by a non-smoker.

This. Having a parent with COPD and hearing them cough and you can hear the damage in the lungs is horrible.
My boyfriend still smokes cigarettes AND weed.

I really don't get it. I have no desire for cigarettes when I'm smoking weed, even if I smoke nothing for a couple of weeks. I roll a joint and he sits next to me rolling a cigarette. :confused: Why? Can't we just share this? He's after the nicotine buzz alone, which was prioritized over a nice doobie that should last a couple of hours?

I can't deal with cigarette smoke anymore. Especially straights. Rolling tobacco isn't perfect, except maybe brands like American Spirit, but it sure is a damn sight better for you than packaged store bought cigarettes with accelerants and things... I can (Hey, I don't do it for kicks or anything btw) smoke half an ounce of weed in a few hours but can't smoke one Marlboro :frown:

I finally have a boyfriend after 19 years... scared I might push him too far if I say NO booze and NO cigarettes.

Now... time for a fat bedtime spliffy doo dah :3 :leaf:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Little Wolf Taima

I really don't get it. I have no desire for cigarettes when I'm smoking weed, even if I smoke nothing for a couple of weeks. I roll a joint and he sits next to me rolling a cigarette. :confused: Why? Can't we just share this? He's after the nicotine buzz alone, which was prioritized over a nice doobie that should last a couple of hours?

I can't deal with cigarette smoke anymore. Especially straights. Rolling tobacco isn't perfect, except maybe brands like American Spirit, but it sure is a damn sight better for you than packaged store bought cigarettes with accelerants and things... I can (Hey, I don't do it for kicks or anything btw) smoke half an ounce of weed in a few hours but can't smoke one Marlboro :frown:

I finally have a boyfriend after 19 years... scared I might push him too far if I say NO booze and NO cigarettes.

That's a ridiculous amount :eek:

The most I've ever smoked in one night is an 8th and that was at the peak of my um, weed smoking 'career.'
Reply 247
Fair enough if people are addicted to smoking and can't stop but I don't see why you would start in the first place, the smell/taste is disgusting and it's awful for your health.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Nope. Disgusting thing to do in my opinion. I've tried a few cigarettes and they taste and smell vile.
Reply 249
sometimes, i am not addicted to it!
That's a ridiculous amount :eek:

The most I've ever smoked in one night is an 8th and that was at the peak of my um, weed smoking 'career.'

Lol, we were in Amsterdam and it was a do-it-once-whilst-you-can-afford-it-thing x

Don't worry, I don't think being able to smoke stupid amounts makes you cooler or anything, it's actually nicer to have a lower tolerance. When i came back from a 6 week break with no smoking it was great to be able to have a quiet joint before bed and feel almost as stoned as I did the first time again.

So glad pot got me off the cigarettes though. Made me so cranky and the disgusting stuff in your throat when you wake up... EWW!

As for cigarette smokers blowing in people's faces and dropping butts, have some compassion! If I have a joint at the bus stop I stand a bit away and blow smoke away from people's faces. If there are people passing in front of me, or children cose, I'll hold that smoke as long as I need to to avoid gassing someone. I put my roaches in a tin, too... No littering!!
Reply 251
Original post by LiamJJMc
Fair enough if people are addicted to smoking and can't stop but I don't see why you would start in the first place, the smell/taste is disgusting and it's awful for your health.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I smoke. Honestly, I used to hate it too. I hated my dad's smell after he would finish a cigarette. When I finished high school, gone to sixth form and got a job, I would see my co-workers or classmates have a cigarette. I was curious why people loves to smoke. I started by asking a cigarette every now and again. Then, it escalated to me smoking while I drink and then all of a sudden I would realise that I have become a full-fledged smoker. As the time goes on, some of my friends picked up the habit as well.

From my experience, picking up smoking as a habit can be transferred socially. It doesn't have to be because of peer-pressure (which does happen), just because of curiosity.

(I am not advertising smoking, I know the repercussions of smoking to my well-being and even though I might sound like a hypocrite, do not start smoking! It's very expensive, may cause illnesses and very addictive. Once you get that monkey on your back, it's hard to remove).
I don't but I used to. I have added a poll, just click yes or no. If you do any of the folowing:

Smoke when you're drunk

Smoke socially

Smoke when you go out

Hardly ever smoke

Then you're a smoker so click yes.

It surprised me that more people didn't smoke than those that did, good on you general consensus!
Lol, we were in Amsterdam and it was a do-it-once-whilst-you-can-afford-it-thing x

Don't worry, I don't think being able to smoke stupid amounts makes you cooler or anything, it's actually nicer to have a lower tolerance. When i came back from a 6 week break with no smoking it was great to be able to have a quiet joint before bed and feel almost as stoned as I did the first time again.

So glad pot got me off the cigarettes though. Made me so cranky and the disgusting stuff in your throat when you wake up... EWW!

As for cigarette smokers blowing in people's faces and dropping butts, have some compassion! If I have a joint at the bus stop I stand a bit away and blow smoke away from people's faces. If there are people passing in front of me, or children cose, I'll hold that smoke as long as I need to to avoid gassing someone. I put my roaches in a tin, too... No littering!!

Fair enough, I wasn't suggesting you were trying to gloat about it or anything, you didn't come across like that. How old were you when you first started smoking weed?

Also this:

As for cigarette smokers blowing in people's faces and dropping butts, have some compassion!

If I have a joint at the bus stop

If there are people passing in front of me, or children

I don't really know what to say lol :eek::biggrin:

The most hilarious text I have read all week, thank you.
I don't think anybody is doing that to be fair mate, I certainly don't think less of smokers.
40 a day. Amd I'm probably fitter than the self righteous tossers that harp on about it!
Started smoking when i was about 14..now im turning 17 next month..its been 5 days i quit..hope it lasts for good
Original post by InkyOne

stop people eating unhealthy food too? doing dangerous sports? driving on icy roads? hmm.
Original post by EwanHarvey
stop people eating unhealthy food too? doing dangerous sports? driving on icy roads? hmm.

You can eat unhealthy food in moderation, which most people do. How many people do dangerous sports? Are there safety procedures and measures in place? Why should one not drive on an icey road as long as they're being careful?

You really cannot compare smoking to any of those examples you gave.

Quick Reply

Latest