The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
It's not like she is likely to be promoting Islam to you as she's clearly not the best example of a Muslim if she's got a boyfriend anyway.

Do you know her? Any idea on what she's like? No?

Maybe if you tried not judging people so much, especially without even knowing them, the rest of us would take you religious people more seriously.
Original post by FrigidSymphony
The only one lying here is you. You're doing your faith no favours by attempting to whitewash the nasty bits. If the Pope has the *******s to give a public speech apologizing for past wrongdoings (which he did, including the Crusades and the doctrine of holding Jews accountable for deicide), the least Muslims can do is acknowledge where their religion ****s up.

Can't do anything about something which hasn't happened.
The only one lying here is you. You're doing your faith no favours by attempting to whitewash the nasty bits. If the Pope has the *******s to give a public speech apologizing for past wrongdoings (which he did, including the Crusades and the doctrine of holding Jews accountable for deicide), the least Muslims can do is acknowledge where their religion ****s up.

You clearly know absolutely nothing about about the religion.
If you want to comment about it, go educate yourself. Don't waste your life arguing over something you clearly know nothing about.

oh btw after looking up what a Ahmaddiyah is, no I do not believe in the ramblings of some guy called Ahmad. I believe in God and all the prophets up to the prophet Muhammed. They were simply messengers. He did not create Islam. God did and sent it down to him via the angel Gabriel. The Quran is the word of God not Muhammed. He was simply a messenger. War played a part yes. Women, children and the elderly (as it says in the Quran) were not to be killed. Unlike today where anything goes and the massacre of innocent people is tolerated whoever the perpetrator. Religion isn't the problem, people are.

Anyway this discussion has probably run its course!
Original post by navarre

Maybe if you tried not judging people so much, especially without even knowing them, the rest of us would take you religious people more seriously.

From this thread its very obvious she really needs to do research about Islam then make her conclusions.
Original post by Anonymous
He told me different. He told me that Mohammed married Aisha because she was a pubescent child. He said that her parents agreed to let him marry her and she wanted to have sex with him aged 9. I was like fair enough, in that time period but that can't be justified in this day and age. He went on to say that if Mohammed had sex with Aisha back then then it is justfied in todays world. He siad that he would marry a pubescent child if she was pretty. I got so angry at what he said that i actually think hes a paedophile. Sex with children is WRONG!!!!

What about the whole dog thing. Doesn't it say in the quran that dogs are dirty?

He has 2 dogs. His excuse is that they are guard dogs. They're the friendliest dogs anyone would ever meet so he's making dumb excuses. smh.

Thanks for your reply

Read this: http://thegreaterjihad.tumblr.com/post/26113387415/verdah-a-simple-explanation-to-clear-up-the

^ This link simply explains that Aisha was not a 9 or 6 year old or whatever.

And you make it sound like Muslims hate dogs. Allah's Apostle said, "A prostitute was forgiven by Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah forgave her because of that." (Sahih al-Bukhari, 4/538)
There's reasons why it isn't really accepted to keep a dog in the house, and its for hygiene reasons. I hope you read the link.
Reply 65
Original post by Study
From this thread its very obvious she really needs to do research about Islam then make her conclusions.

Who said she hasn't already researched it? Researching a religion doesn't necessarily mean that you become more religious; in fact, in the case of Islam and Christianity, the more you research, the less likely you are to believe. They rely on masses of uneducated people who barely read their holy texts in order to survive.
Original post by Study
Can't do anything about something which hasn't happened.

So in your opinion Islam has never caused anything bad. Ever. Really?
Original post by navarre

I'm not judging. Its clear that she isn't practising as Islam clearly states having premarital relations is forbidden. Its a fact. And lol as if you are not judging Muslims 'take you religious people seriously'. At least try to not be hypocritical.
The majority of reputable sources on the matter conclude that Aisha's marriage with Mohammed was consummated when she was nine.

Are you a Muslim?
Original post by Anonymous
You clearly know absolutely nothing about about the religion.
If you want to comment about it, go educate yourself. Don't waste your life arguing over something you clearly know nothing about.

oh btw after looking up what a Ahmaddiyah is, no I do not believe in the ramblings of some guy called Ahmad. I believe in God and all the prophets up to the prophet Muhammed. They were simply messengers. He did not create Islam. God did and sent it down to him via the angel Gabriel. The Quran is the word of God not Muhammed. He was simply a messenger. War played a part yes. Women, children and the elderly (as it says in the Quran) were not to be killed. Unlike today where anything goes and the massacre of innocent people is tolerated whoever the perpetrator. Religion isn't the problem, people are.

Anyway this discussion has probably run its course!

Your ability to say nothing in a lot of words is absolutely astounding. Not to mention your curious lack of attention to the other side of the debate.
Original post by navarre
Who said she hasn't already researched it? Researching a religion doesn't necessarily mean that you become more religious; in fact, in the case of Islam and Christianity, the more you research, the less likely you are to believe. They rely on masses of uneducated people who barely read their holy texts in order to survive.

Oh really? And where did you get these statistics from that 'the more you research, the less likely you are to believe' ? Or did you just make that up.
Are you a Muslim?

Does it matter?
Oh really? And where did you get these statistics from that 'the more you research, the less likely you are to believe' ? Or did you just make that up.

There's a funny anecdote about Winston Churchill attempting to educate his son in Christianity by forcing him to read the Bible. Unfortunately for Winston, this had the opposite effect to what was desired. Apparently, his son spent most of his time reading the Bible laughing out loud and exclaiming "what a **** God is!"

Or, you could do some research and easily find studies showing that the more educated a person is, the less likely he is to be religious.
Reply 73
I'm not judging. Its clear that she isn't practising as Islam clearly states having premarital relations is forbidden. Its a fact. And lol as if you are not judging Muslims 'take you religious people seriously'. At least try to not be hypocritical.

The thing is, I'm not religious, and so am not under any obligation to not judge others, although I would never judge those I don't know anything about.

As for my gf, she's only doing what thousands of other Muslims and religious people are doing, and picking and choosing what parts of the religion she wants to follow and those she doesn't.
Original post by navarre

I didn't say it would make her more religious >.< Most of the stuff she came out with is basically garbage.

Researched it tonnes and I still believe :confused:.
Does it matter?

I want to know what sources you've read and which scholars you have spoken to which have made you so sure that Aisha was 9 years old. You seem so certain when many scholars who have studied Islam are not even so. So yeah, care to list the sources?
Reply 76

Most have never read their own holy texts, and when encountered with difficult questions defer me to their pastor or a scholar. Hardly well researched.
So in your opinion Islam has never caused anything bad. Ever. Really?

What do you think? If some people can't follow it properly and go do their own stuff you think I'm going to count it in?

Its the same with Christianity, I mean they did the crusades and all that but when you actually see what Jesus said, I doubt he would've supported it.
There's a funny anecdote about Winston Churchill attempting to educate his son in Christianity by forcing him to read the Bible. Unfortunately for Winston, this had the opposite effect to what was desired. Apparently, his son spent most of his time reading the Bible laughing out loud and exclaiming "what a **** God is!"

Or, you could do some research and easily find studies showing that the more educated a person is, the less likely he is to be religious.

Wow, if you really believe that then good luck to you! I can't argue with someone who is clearly against religion altogether and who clearly hates Islam. I'm pretty sure I've seen you on every single thread that has anything to do with Muslims/Islam providing your unnecessary input. Religiosity does not correlate with Intelligence. No study can prove that, and even if there is a study like that it is biased and created by ATHEISTS
I want to know what sources you've read and which scholars you have spoken to which have made you so sure that Aisha was 9 years old. You seem so certain when many scholars who have studied Islam are not even so. So yeah, care to list the sources?

Priests and Imams aren't scholars, for starters. To be a scholar, you need to study more than one book.

That being said, I would point you to:

D. A. Spellberg, Politics, Gender, and the Islamic Past: the Legacy of A'isha bint Abi Bakr, Columbia University Press, 1994, p. 40

Karen Armstrong, Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet, Harper San Francisco, 1992, p. 157.

Sahih al-Bukhari, 5:58:234, 5:58:236, 7:62:64, 7:62:65, 7:62:88, Sahih Muslim, 8:3309, 8:3310, 8:3311, 41:4915, Sunnan Abu Dawud, 41:4917

Enough?

Latest

Trending

Trending