The Student Room Group

Need help in choosing Newcastle or Birmingham for A100

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I figure Nightlife would be better at Birmingham since it is a larger city than Newcastle, but others still say that Newcastle nightlife is the best?
Reply 21
Original post by xadmin
I figure Nightlife would be better at Birmingham since it is a larger city than Newcastle, but others still say that Newcastle nightlife is the best?

Bigger doesn't mean better!

Newcastle is often praised for it's nightlife - the bars are cheap and the people very friendly.

But it depends what you look for - Birmingham has more in terms of cultural distractions (concerts etc.) and bigger clubs like Gatecrasher.

I had a night out with mates in Newcastle last year (we've been doing a tour of the country's cities) and it's easily the most fun I've ever had in any city.
Original post by Zenomorph
Doesn't matter that much since it is a 4th.
I'd reject both but if forced N'castle.

Have you added anything constructive to a thread...ever?
Reply 23
Original post by <XOXO>
Well it depends what you are looking for.

1) Newcastle is more PBL (problem based learning) whilst Birmingham is more lecture based

Sorry but Newcastle is not based around PBL at all, I obviously can't compare it to Bham as I go to Newcastle, but I wouldn't class anything I did over my first year as PBL. The timetable is mainly lectures with seminars taking up much less time a week.
Reply 24
Original post by Stirlo
Sorry but Newcastle is not based around PBL at all, I obviously can't compare it to Bham as I go to Newcastle, but I wouldn't class anything I did over my first year as PBL. The timetable is mainly lectures with seminars taking up much less time a week.

Thanks Stirlo, how do you like Newcastle so far?
Are you talking about BCU?? It has a really good rep and Birmingham is ok...
Born and bred brummy :P
Some areas that surround the city centre are not nice if I'm honest but if you're willing to travel around 8 miles then you could live somewhere nice and catch the train or bus.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 26
Original post by Steerforth
Have you added anything constructive to a thread...ever?

Troll alert !
Original post by <XOXO>
Well it depends what you are looking for.

1) Newcastle is more PBL (problem based learning) whilst Birmingham is more lecture based

Yeh, as has been said this really isn't correct. Newcastle is very much a lecture based course, supplemented with seminars, clinical skills, dissection sessions and projects.

It's really not PBL at all.
Reply 28
Original post by hoonosewot
Yeh, as has been said this really isn't correct. Newcastle is very much a lecture based course, supplemented with seminars, clinical skills, dissection sessions and projects.

It's really not PBL at all.

It's PBL for graduate medics which is maybe where XOXO was getting confused.
Yeah, sorry guys i guess i was misinformed from one of my school advisers. I have removed that comment. Sorry if i've lead to any confusion!
Reply 30
OP: Newcastle obviously :tongue: But as others have said, wait until you get your UKCAT score and apply accordingly.

Original post by adsyrah
It's PBL for graduate medics which is maybe where XOXO was getting confused.

:yes: And even that's not as PBLy as it could be. We still had plenty of lectures and seminars.
Reply 31
Original post by Lantana
OP: Newcastle obviously :tongue: But as others have said, wait until you get your UKCAT score and apply accordingly.

:yes: And even that's not as PBLy as it could be. We still had plenty of lectures and seminars.

I already got my UKCAT score. Lantana, why do you prefer Newcastle?
Original post by xadmin

Cos we're the best, and anyone that says differently is a lying scoundrel as far as i'm concerned.

Seriously though, if you want an objective idea of how happy students are the best bet is probably to look at the student satisfaction scores of people on the medicine courses. They're available on the league tables (frankly they're probably the only useful thing about rankings when it comes to medicine):

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Satisfaction&s=Medicine

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-medicine
Reply 33
I looked at that table and I wonder why students at Glasgow are not that happy?
I wouldn't decide where to go based on league tables, they vary drastically. With medicine, i really don't think you can go wrong when it comes to standard, its about personal preference.
How come theres so many Newcastle students on here??
Original post by <XOXO>
I wouldn't decide where to go based on league tables, they vary drastically. With medicine, i really don't think you can go wrong when it comes to standard, its about personal preference.

I didn't say to look at the table, i said to look at the student satsifaction scores, which is what was commented on. They give you a good idea about how happy students are with the course.

They're not perfect by any means, but you tend to see a similar theme every year, which suggests some medical schools do have problems keeping students satisfied with the quality of the course.

The "rankings" themselves are load of old tat yes.
Reply 37
Original post by xadmin

So what be it? Surely that'll make your decision for you!

Original post by fairy spangles
How come theres so many Newcastle students on here??

:dontknow:
Having experience of both cities in my opinion.....

Brum is more diverse, larger city but busier, more expensive and New Street is a nightmare. Is the stop outside the university not edgbaston? Or however I spell it. I enjoyed my placement there. I think you need alot of A* at GCSE

Newcastle - probs best to ask someone else. Dont you need a high UKCAT score?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending