The Student Room Group

Mass shooting at Batman film premiere.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
The problem is lack of gun ownership. Nobody at the cinema theatre was adequately equipped to defend themselves. All it would have taken is one or two other people packing to take this motha****er out. What's the point in waiting ages for the police to come help you out when you can be doing it yourself? Why do we only let criminals run amok with weapons when law abiding citizens are left helpless?
Original post by Steezy
This post was pretty much unnecesary

I know, I used it as an opportunity to address the more general points always raised in this debate.
Original post by Stefan1991
Your ignorance?

Ignorance about what exactly? I don't see cameron ordering the killing of british citizens?
"People speak sometimes about the "bestial" cruelty of man, but that is terribly unjust and offensive to beasts, no animal could ever be so cruel as a man, so artfully, so artistically cruel."
-Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Reply 184
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Ignorance about what exactly? I don't see cameron ordering the killing of british citizens?

And now you have amnesia. That's not what you said.
Sounds like there is a second person and they are trying to track his mobile. Can listen to the police radio at:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=43
Reply 186
Original post by sugar-n-spice
The guy had an assault rifle which is illegal in the USA for a civilian under any circumstances, so implying stricter gun laws would have helped here shows a lot about you. Correlation does not equal causation why does Switzerland not have more gun crime than the USA their gun laws are even more lax, you're also showing your ignorance now because guns are harder to get in the USA than you think, you need to pass a background check, that is mental health, criminal record and more.

You're clearly one of these retards who thinks all americans are creationists who believe the world is 3000 years old.

Yet it is still a lot easier to obtain than from a country which has NOT LEGALISED GUNS. You keep mentioning Switzerland for some reason... every country has different crime rates. What you should be doing is comparing it to countries which have not legalised guns. For example Switzerland has a higher gun crime rate than Britain. But yes, let them keep their guns it's obviously nothing to do with that :rolleyes:
Reply 187
I know, I used it as an opportunity to address the more general points always raised in this debate.

Well anyone who has seen the film 'Bowling for Columbine' will realise it's not a straight forward answer.

People can be (and by and large are) responsible owners of guns.

The ratio of gun owners in the world and massacres is incredibly small. But it is reported so thoroughly and intently throughout the world that it becomes hysteric.

Countries don't make vehicles illegal, even though they kill many more people than guns.

Most countries don't make marijuana legal even though it kills much less people than alcohol.

However, the issue has to be raised that a gun's only use is to kill. So why are they legal?

I was asking a genuine question - why do you think America has these massacres? If the answer is poverty, why are the majority of the killers from middle class backgrounds?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Steezy
Well anyone who has seen the film 'Bowling for Columbine' will realise it's not a straight forward answer.

The ratio of gun owners in the world and massacres is incredibly small. But it is reported so thoroughly and intently throughout the world that it becomes hysteric.

Countries don't make vehicles illegal, even though they kill many more people than guns.

Most countries don't make marijuana legal even though it kills much less people than alcohol.

However, the issue has to be raised that a gun's only use is to kill. So why are they legal?

I was asking a genuine question - why do you think America has these massacres? If the answer is poverty, why are the majority of the killers from middle class backgrounds?

I was in primary school about 5 minutes away from Columbine when that shooting happened. I can tell you that both of the shooters came from neighborhoods and lived in an area where most people were pretty comfortable financially.

There's so much coverage on these shootings that I think sometimes people see them in a glorified light, you know? See themselves as some twisted martyr.
Original post by Stefan1991
And now you have amnesia. That's not what you said.

Err no if you look at the converstation I was having with the person I replied to that is exactly what I was getting at.
Original post by Jordan_1
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

Surprise surprise. The countries where you can buy guns legally top the list. Even Switzerland has more than twice the rate than the UK. And some idiots are seriously trying to suggest making guns illegal wouldn't make a difference??

If Britain legalised guns then I could guarantee they would be higher up on that list.

LOLLOLLOL now who's the retard?

South Africa has extraordinarily strict gun laws so has Mexico. Colombia and Thailand also have restrictive gun laws AHAHAHA, showing your intelligence now aren't we, it's poverty.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/colombia
One more thing: why are people tearing each other down here? To win on an internet forum in terms of 'intelligence' or 'personal opinion?' To see who has the most facts?

I know people are going to say what they're going to say, and that's fine, but this discussion does not need to devolve into personal attacks. Maybe I'm just oversensitive today.
Reply 192
LOLLOLLOL now who's the retard?

South Africa has extraordinarily strict gun laws so has Mexico. Colombia and Thailand also have restrictive gun laws AHAHAHA, showing your intelligence now aren't we, it's poverty.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/colombia

Sorry but I was mainly referring to developed nations? Not ****ing ****holes where it still easy to get guns.
Original post by Steezy

They were bullied, nobody took the time to ask them why they were sad or showed interest in them, it's the culture of ignoring other people's problems which caused Columbine and which causes poverty, in fact the guns used in Columbine were acquired illegally, perhaps the police service needs better funding.

The main reason is people in the US care so much is how popular the sports of hunting and target shooting are, they're also used for home defence because their police suck balls and its based up the idea that if the government has a monopoly on lethal force this monopoly leads to tyranny.
Reply 194
Original post by nosceteipsummm
I was in primary school about 5 minutes away from Columbine when that shooting happened. I can tell you that both of the shooters came from neighborhoods and lived in an area where most people were pretty comfortable financially.

There's so much coverage on these shootings that I think sometimes people see them in a glorified light, you know? See themselves as some twisted martyr.

It's quite eery I think... If it was poor people I think it would be less shocking (that sounds really bad I know), because I'd feel like they had more of a reason.

The people who commit these massacres just seem totally detached from what I perceive as reality, but are by and large from backgrounds not too dissimilar to mine.

It makes me wonder if had the first gun massacre not happened, would the subsequent ones have happened?

It's almost like it gave people a type of mental 'permission' to carry out such attacks.

Maybe I'm just blabbering.... I can't imagine Norway will have a string of further attacks after Breivk.

So what is it with America?!
Reply 195
They were bullied, nobody took the time to ask them why they were sad or showed interest in them, it's the culture of ignoring other people's problems which caused Columbine and which causes poverty, in fact the guns used in Columbine were acquired illegally, perhaps the police service needs better funding.

The main reason is people in the US care so much is how popular the sports of hunting and target shooting are, they're also used for home defence because their police suck balls and its based up the idea that if the government has a monopoly on lethal force this monopoly leads to tyranny.

Well the experience I've had with Americans is that they talk about their feelings much more than English people.

We absolutely never talk about our feelings and people very rarely ask.

Yet we don't have the same problems.

I think it's a bit of a copout to say they were bullied and that's the reason.

People in other countries get bullied. I was bullied at one point. There were kids at my school who were insanely bullied... Yet no massacres. A couple of fights but no massacres.

Now, had their grandad owned an arsenal of weapons.... Maybe it would've been a different story...
Image of suspect released by University he attended.

https://twitter.com/Megan7News/status/226346999123951616/photo/1
Lol a PhD student, crazy bastard.
Original post by Steezy

I think it's a bit of a copout to say they were bullied and that's the reason.

People in other countries get bullied. I was bullied at one point. There were kids at my school who were insanely bullied... Yet no massacres. A couple of fights but no massacres.

Now, had their grandad owned an arsenal of weapons.... Maybe it would've been a different story...

Agreed. I was bullied, some of my friends were bullied. The number of schools and public places that don't ever experience a shooting far outweigh those that do.

I don't think it's something you can pin down with a specific cause: it's not something in the water.
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Yes I agree the elite of the past and many of the elite of today gained their status by use of violence. Keeping the weak diminished is a way of preserving power, however my point is, is this the case in nation like the UK. Elite status no longer means controlling power in western countries like it was in the past. The power these days is very much with the people rather than with the elite. Immediate control of firearms and violence is controlled by those in government, but many of those that hold office are the people though. Elite status less a question of titles handed down by your forefather but rather power given by popular demand. However this point is digressing a bit. Also I certainly do not think those in the police and armed foces wield firearms by virtue. My point here was although they are part of a collective body controlled by a hierarchy, they are also individuals too. The government owns the guns, but it's the individuals that are pulling the trigger, and each individual questions how much they have to gain from acting out on orders given by those in control. So in that sense it's not really a question of whether or not there should be a monopoly on violence, it's a question of who controls this monopoly.

No, it is a question of "whether or not there should be a monopoly on violence". No collective should be able to wield disproportionate levels of power to others, on the basis of so-called "protection". Deontologically, it violates the non-aggression principle. In essence, the difference between the UK and, say, North Korea, is simply one of degree. All states don't just "gain" power through violence, but are, by definition, sustained by it. To cite the most basic example, tax, the State needs to forcibly extract capital from the population just in order to keep itself in existence. When you say that elite status is "given by popular demand" to "the people", it's simply not true. Democracy and the State are incompatible ideas. As I've already pointed out to you, Britain is not a democracy but a polyarchy. If it was a democracy then there'd be free voluntary exchange between citizens (as of now, impeded by State regulation), political decisions would emerge as a result of localized considerations rather than collective, dogmatic ones (it's hardly democracy if an MP comes to you and says "xyz, vote for me" compared to you, and others, obligating the MP to act in your interests), and there wouldn't be an arbitrarily created political entity - government - demanding money from you with threats of violence. Gun rights are just part and parcel of this. If the power inherent in guns is dispersed throughout the population, instead of concentrated in the hands of the few, then we'd be living in a far more democratic and just world.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending