The Student Room Group

RAF residency requirements

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem and I was looking for some advice. I'm a South African student and British citizen currently in my final year at uni, and looking to join the RAF next year, but I was told that I don't meet the residency requirements. I was born and raised in SA and have never actually lived in the UK, but under the nationality requirements the RAF website (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/canijoin/nationalityandresidency.cfm) states:
UK Resident less than 3 years
If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for less than 3 years, but fall into one of the following categories then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility during the application process. In the meantime, you should register you interest as normal.

You spent time abroad for travel/ study gap year reasons.
You lived abroad because your parents were employed by the UK government (including HM Forces) in a foreign country.
You are a British citizen with at least one parent who is a British citizen and you lived with your parents abroad and you attended secondary school within the European Economic Area or a Commonwealth Country.
If you do not fall into one of the above categories, then you are ineligible to apply to the RAF at this time.

I thought that I would have fallen under the bold and italicized line since South Africa is part of the Commonwealth and my mother was born and raised in the United Kingdom. Anyway, I asked the guys on the pprune.org website about this and they said that I don't meet the residency requirements. In addition to this, I made a phone call to the RAF recruiting offices and they also said that I don't meet the residency requirements. But surely, since I've never officially lived in the UK I fall under "UK Resident less than 3 years" and since I meet the requirement of a "British citizen with at least one parent who is a British citizen and you lived with your parents abroad and you attended secondary school within the European Economic Area or a Commonwealth Country", this would make me eligible to join once I head over to the UK next year upon completion of my studies?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.
Wasn't it you on pprune who said that you were not sure if you were a British citizen or not?

Anyway, you've had the same answer from 2 different sources now yet you are still asking? Did you write to the recruiting HQ as advised on pprune?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
Alex

You have had fairly direct answers on PPRUNE and you have had answers from the careers line. Why do you think another random forum would be of use to you? I personally don't think you fit in the 'less than three years' bracket as you have never lived in the UK - but that is different to your interpretation.

Have you actually WRITTEN to someone in RAF Careers? You do not like the answers you have been given on forums such as this, so the best thing you can do for yourself is get a written, definitive judgement.

Last thing - you are looking to apply to join the RAF.
Reply 3
b c
OP
Yes, I have already e-mailed and phoned the RAF careers office. To me the line "less than 3 years" implies that British citizens who have spent 0 to 2.999... years in the UK but meet the subsequently stated criteria are eligible. If they had said "minimum of 3 years" then sure I would understand that.
Original post by b c
Yes, I have already e-mailed and phoned the RAF careers office. To me the line "less than 3 years" implies that British citizens who have spent 0 to 2.999... years in the UK but meet the subsequently stated criteria are eligible. If they had said "minimum of 3 years" then sure I would understand that.

0= never lived in the UK, which is not 'living in the UK for less than 3 years'. Currently, you do not qualify to apply. Come to the UK to live and you will have lived in the UK for less than 3 years and will probably qualify to apply.
Reply 5
The 3 years thing is still subjective, average is 5 years residence for most jobs, 10 for a few, and British citizen since birth for the very few.
Reply 6
RTFA
"If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for less than 3 years, but fall into one of the following categories then we will need to complete further checks"

That does not say "if you meet one of these requirements you're in".

I've read those threads on pprune too and know what was said. You've got your answer, you might not be happy with it, but that's the way life goes. Try the SAAF or call it quits.

The big thing you always neglect to answer is how you'd get around the fact that the RAF isn't recruiting Pilots...
Reply 7
Or you could move to the UK and stay for three years then apply - I'm assuming you are young enough?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Reply 8
b c
OP
Original post by threeportdrift
0= never lived in the UK, which is not 'living in the UK for less than 3 years'. Currently, you do not qualify to apply. Come to the UK to live and you will have lived in the UK for less than 3 years and will probably qualify to apply.

Yeah, this is what I'm hoping will be the case.

Original post by Drewski
RTFA
"If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for less than 3 years, but fall into one of the following categories then we will need to complete further checks"

That does not say "if you meet one of these requirements you're in".

I've read those threads on pprune too and know what was said. You've got your answer, you might not be happy with it, but that's the way life goes. Try the SAAF or call it quits.

The big thing you always neglect to answer is how you'd get around the fact that the RAF isn't recruiting Pilots...
They do state that "If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for less than 3 years, but fall into one of the following categories then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility during the application process" so at least it sounds like the door would be partially open to you which is better than nothing at all. With regards to the SAAF, I had previously thought a lot about joining up, but the current political stance towards someone like myself put me off that idea. And yes, even though the RAF are currently not recruiting pilots I believe that they should start possibly late next year or in 2014 sometime as a vacuum in the training pipeline wouldn't be a desirable situation to have for too long.

Original post by applicant1
Or you could move to the UK and stay for three years then apply - I'm assuming you are young enough?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
This is currently my biggest worry as I'll be 24 next year. I'd be happy to live in the UK for as long as it takes but I'll be too old soon.
Reply 9
Original post by b c
They do state that "If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for less than 3 years, but fall into one of the following categories then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility during the application process" so at least it sounds like the door would be partially open to you which is better than nothing at all. With regards to the SAAF, I had previously thought a lot about joining up, but the current political stance towards someone like myself put me off that idea. And yes, even though the RAF are currently not recruiting pilots I believe that they should start possibly late next year or in 2014 sometime as a vacuum in the training pipeline wouldn't be a desirable situation to have for too long.

They don't actually have that much of a vacuum. Yes, they've gone ~3yrs without recruiting, but they have been dripfeeding existing Pilot applicants through the system in that time. There are some junior officers just starting EFT now, the gap is in ages, not in streams.
Hi there

I don't know what your final outcome was but I am in your same situation except I am applying for an Engineering officers role and have attended university in the UK. However due to a role being that of an officer, which a pilot is as well, requires you to have been present in the country for minimum 5 years and not more than 28 days out the country per year. Unfortunately this isn't completely clear on the website and is a bit confusing but apparently it is for security reasons. I have been here for 4 years and will have to wait a year, so carrying on to do a masters, I'd probably say do the same thing if you're here in the UK.

I think it's a great career and worth the initial hassle if achieved.

Good Luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest