The Student Room Group

Are A levels a lower standard than the IB

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
IB is certainly more challenging than taking 3 or even 4 A-levels, but it really does require a huge amount of dedication and work to do well in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by M'Ling
They're as difficult as each other. Anyone who tells you otherwise either did badly and is making excuses, or has a superiority complex.

The content of the individual courses is about the same, but the IB diploma as a whole is a lot more difficult than A-levels.
Reply 22
Original post by Freiheit
You are right, I can't speak for everyone but that was the purpose of the Sixth Form I attended. The Higher Education participate rates are undeniable high though at 47%

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=419496

Out of interest, what's the point of being "educated" from 16-18 in your view? Is to find employment/passion/increase knowledge?

To gain knowledge and, eventually, facilitate the use of that knowledge in a way that produces greater human capital than before that knowledge was gained.
Reply 23
Original post by ZerofeX
A-Levels are recognized by universities all over the world as well. Cambridge International Examinations is infact the largest provider of education in the world and it offers the A Levels to almost every country, even more then the IB.

Secondly, I just have to ask but what does the IB do which gives you more "general knowledge" as you put it which A-Levels cannot provide? People in A Levels generally take 4-5 subjects at AS anyway and drop it down to 3 or 4 at A2. Thats roughly 3 HL and 2 SL right there. Also not to mention the fact there are some subjects that AL's do indeed cover more depth in.

did you ever try to get into university in like germany,netherlands,switzerland,usa(they're not as strict since they can't say that the High School Diploma is better,because it's just ****)
but the ivy league universities for example prefer the IB. my cousins friend did a-levels while she did the IB. both were really really good. so they both applied to princeton and NYU. my cousin got into both her friend was rejected, because of the "lack of general knowledge". as for the other countries Switzerland doesn't accept a-levels at all,germany is sort of complicated; they let you go,but not with every subject combination. so you could do great in your a-levels,but they still won't let you go.but they're also little bitchy about the IB if you don't take German as A1 HL,but they still let you go. and the netherlands, they#re complicated as well. my friend did the IB and they accepted him straightaway without even asking about his score. my dads girlfriends ex-husband,who teaches at one of the Universities in Amsterdam, said that if you did a-levels they won't let you in unless you scored extremly high and only with the right subject combination.
look,i'm not saying that a-levels are bad or that you do not learna lot,but i think that the IB teaches a broad field of subjects and deepens the things that you learn. a-levels have their advantages.they can,with the right subject combination, give you a lot of knowledge, but it certainly is not of use if you don't know what you're going to study or in what direction you'll be going. also a-levels are better if you want to study in the UK,but i think that the IB is the better choice for those that don't know in which course,at what university and in which country they're going to end up.
Reply 24
Original post by Hypocrism
To gain knowledge and, eventually, facilitate the use of that knowledge in a way that produces greater human capital than before that knowledge was gained.

So indirectly you mean providing for the economy through jobs in sectors as research and technology?
Reply 25
So indirectly you mean providing for the economy through jobs in sectors as research and technology?

Education is more about increasing your personal human capital, which in our culture will eventually be utilized toward those aims, yes. I think an education geared towards "get uni, get job" is going to be less advantageous to the individual (and, yes, the economy) than an education geared towards "enjoy what you do, succeed, innovate, think". Unfortunately modern education systems including university all seem to follow the first option rather than the second.
Reply 26
Original post by Flip1
The content of the individual courses is about the same, but the IB diploma as a whole is a lot more difficult than A-levels.

I disagree. The content of the individual courses, from my experience, do vary. It's too vague to have the old 'breadth argument', as they vary from subject to subject.

Remember A-Level students have to cope with the pressure of having their next exams being only round the corner. Yes, IB students have CAS and TOK and more subjects, but I would argue the constant pressure of exams makes the A-Level student equally adept at time management as their IB comrades.
Reply 27
Juggling 6 subjects (and their respective coursework), some of which you will certainly not like, as well as an extended essay, CAS and TOK makes the experience very stressful.
Original post by skotch
IB goes up to 40... so 37/40 is pretty good!

It goes to 45...
Reply 29
Original post by magicmuggle
It goes up to 45 actually.

Original post by Hypocrism
It is out of 45

A 45 is worth 720 UCAS points, an A* is 140, so a 45 is equivalent (to UCAS) to 5 A*s. This is a reasonable comparison especially with modular subjects. However, a lot more people achieve high amounts of A*s than get 45s. 37 is a decent score, however, the UK average is estimated about 33-35 compared with world's 28 average, so it's hardly stunning.

Original post by StockholmBoy
It goes to 45...

Yeh, 37/40 seemed a little high for AAA...
Reply 30
Grade inflation. It's a huge issue. Durham University concluded from their research in 2008 that an 'A' grade at a-level today is equivalent to a 'C' in 1980s so you can truly understand the extent. Obtaining an A at A-level is now regarded an average achievement. With an indiscrimiating 25% of grades in 2011 A/A* you can truly grasp the repercussion of there being multiple exam boards, unlike the single-bodied IB. Therefore, with A-Levels, you are ensconced in the crowd and convention, whereas the IB makes you stand out lucidly.

EDIT: In a nutshell. I had a luxury of choice between two schools 5 mins away from my home which both house sixth forms. One teaches the IB while the other teaches A levels. I chose, in full confidence, the IB diploma which I begin in little over a month.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
On HL Maths specifically:

In our Year 12 summer exams, which was our first time properly sitting IB HL maths mocks, us people doing HL maths averaged 38% in the 3 papers. And we were the really nerdy ones in the first place.

I think 2 or 3 people got 7s in HL Maths this year. We have about 8 people in the class, which is our only class (half dropped to SL maths due to difficulty) and on the other hand we have 40 people doing A level maths with further maths, and 70% get A*A*. We are taught by the same teachers, but there is this huge gulf between the proportion of students who get top marks in the two courses.

I remember walking around hearing A level students talk about getting >90% in their exams and wanting to punch someone :u:

90% first time in an unseen IB HL maths paper would call for back-slapping, wine-drinking congratulations.

Based on that, I would think IB HL maths is harder than A level further maths.

However, this is just my school :rolleyes:
Reply 32
Original post by mimile
a-levels sure do have lower academic standarts,but as long as you want to study in the UK it really doesn't matter. In fact a-levels might be better then...
I chose the IB mainly because it's recognised by universities all over the world and because i really want to learn and have a solid background of general knowledge and i don't think a-levels offer that.
so if you more like the international inquisitive type the IB therefor another school is definitely the better option
but if you want to study in the UK and already know in what direction you'll be going you might be better off with a-levels

from what people told me the IB is hard work,but it's definitely worth it. Also you seem to be convinced of the IB, so why don't you do what your heart or whatever wants?
just soyou know. i might be a little biased,because i'm starting the IB in september and i'm really excited about it though i'm sure that has no influence on my impartiality.
hope i've been of some help:smile:

I would love to do it, but only private schools round here do it, so I can't afford to go to a private school and follow my heart, which is really upsetting
Reply 33
Original post by A7d8i6l
My mate who was doing the IB had an interview at Oxford uni and they rejected him!! Based on his predicted grades however he seems to be almost constantly working!! The IB was set up for the elite. On results day I saw him and he was over the moon because he scored 42/45 and now he's taking a gap year, he has finally decided to go to Cambridge uni!! Are school average is 36 and we are the 5 th best school to offer IB.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What school do you go to?
And yeah I know it is elite and that's why I really want to do it.
thanks
Reply 34
You are right, I can't speak for everyone but that was the purpose of the Sixth Form I attended. The Higher Education participate rates are undeniable high though at 47%

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=419496

Out of interest, what's the point of being "educated" from 16-18 in your view? Is to find employment/passion/increase knowledge?

What school did you go or sixth form because it seems hardly any schools want to educate, which is a massive shame.

My school just wants us to pass exams which is exactly what is wrong with education in the uk at the moment
Reply 35
Original post by Junaid96
IB 'forces' you to be more broad and well-educated.
As an A-level student you still have the option. Read around your subject, do further work etc. and you can be even better than IB students. Don't blame the system when you have other options.

This is really key - it doesn't matter what exams you took up to the age of 18 - whether it was O-levels, GCSEs, BTECs etc. what matters is what unis thought you were good enough. If Cambridge let you in then you must have been just fine. I used to worry about our qualifications being devalued - now I just don't care as my university place will never be devalued :smile: (fingers crossed that british unis don't slump in the future as a result of economic crises).

How could I sel teach the extras needed to match an IB student. Even the same subjects are harder and require greater lateral,critical and creative thinking. It is near impossible whilst trying to do a levels, sports, etc
Reply 36
Original post by A-Dog
What school did you go or sixth form because it seems hardly any schools want to educate, which is a massive shame.

My school just wants us to pass exams which is exactly what is wrong with education in the uk at the moment

Ok- it's a misunderstanding. I wrote to the other person to say that my Sixth Form teaches to pass exams and get students into uni when they actually teach :tongue: .

The only school's I have seen teaching to educate were abroad but this approach also has negatives in my view.
The difficulty of A Levels depends on the subjects you choose. This alone makes it impossible to compare the IB and A Levels.

A Levels in general are kind of 'unique' among all the qualifications around the world. You can choose whatever subject you want which means you can choose the difficulty yourself. Also A Levels are very 'linear' and straightforward which makes them seem easy (especially maths). The IB on the other hand is not that straightforward. Especially the arts subjects give you much more freedom when it comes to writing essays whereas A Levels have ridiculous word limits and assessment objectives.

So if you want to compare English HL with English Lit A Level, you will find that the structure of those courses is just too different to compare. In addition, if you have 6 subjects for the IB, you will most probably dislike at least 2 of them. Performing well in subjects you hate is very difficult. I did the German Abitur and I had 10 subjects. I hated 6 of them and although I still performed quite well, I never managed to get the same results I got for my 4 other favourite subjects. Hence getting a 45/45 is much more difficult than getting A*A*A* in your preferred subjects. But is the IB in general more difficult than A Levels? Not really, it is just different and asks for different skills such as being able to perform well in many different kinds of subjects. If I had had the choice I would have chosen A Levels any day, not because it's easier but because you are able to study the subjects you actually like.
(edited 11 years ago)
I was at an IB school and I dropped out in one week because those dummies wouldn't give me enough flexibility when choosing subjects!!! They were trying to force me to take English!!!! IB sucks
Original post by A-Dog
How could I sel teach the extras needed to match an IB student. Even the same subjects are harder and require greater lateral,critical and creative thinking. It is near impossible whilst trying to do a levels, sports, etc

I don't think it is - plenty of people get into the likes of Oxbridge doing A-levels and must therefore more than match the IB students. Read around, get involved in extra-curriculars such as debating, take your course further etc. The exams you take don't limit you - sure, if you only do what's asked of you by the exam boards then you won't come close to an IB student, but no Oxbridge candidate sticks to the curriculum. For example, Economics A-level - it's just rote learning of facts. I go further, discussing policies in the news, deriving the theories we use rather than accepting them as fact, researching stuff online etc. In Maths A-level I do the same - going through proofs of formulae and methods rather than learning them parrot-fashion, always ensuring that I understand the maths behind it all, and as such I'd say my "lateral, critical and creative thinking" is more than on par with the IB lot.

Quick Reply

Latest