The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Cost... Commute or Live At Uni?

Hello all,

I'm about to undertake a postgraduate degree, but I'm just trying to weigh up my opinions, but really don't know what to do, in regards to whether I should stay at my parents house and commute, or reside in the same city.

I've decided to weigh up both of my options in regards to cost, and this is what I've come up with so far:

Commuting
Train Season Ticket - From 24 Sep To 24 May: £1,795.50
Tram for 26 weeks: £232 (unirider)
Rent: £1,200
Total: £3,227.50

Living at University
Cheapest En-Suite Flat: £4,715 (University Accommodation)
Living Expenses: £3,000.
Total: £7,715

My tuition fees for the course will be £7,000, as I have received a scholarship from the university. So I've come up with these final figures:

Total Cost Commuting: £10,227.
Total Cost Living At University: £14,715.

The cost of my postgraduate degree would be coming out of my inheritance from one of my family members, which isn't very much as it is, so I don't want to use all of it on my postgraduate funding, as it would be useful for a house deposit in the future.

On one hand, I would like to live where the university is, just so I can experience living in a new city, new people, and be close to the university for lectures and library books, being independent and for nights out with friends.

However, it would be nice to have less of a cost involved with my postgraduate degree by commuting, as I'd have no accommodation or living costs to pay for. The commute on the train would be between 1hr 15 minutes and 1hr 30 minutes each day, so between 3hrs travelling per day at the worst, and 2hrs 20 at the best. I know I could get down to reading or something on the train, but I'm not the best in regards to doing stuff while travelling (damn motion sickness), and I don't know if commuting for up to 3 hours a day would take its toll on me after a while... who knows!

I'm just wondering what you would do in my situation?
Which option you would choose?

Any advice would be great!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Are there any cheaper accommodation options? I know you listed the 'cheapest' flat, but does it need to be en-suite? It's usually cheaper without; similarly, have you looked at private accommodation and how that is priced? At my undergrad university, the uni accommodation was actually a good bit more expensive than living 'out' in the town.
Reply 2
Original post by gutenberg
Are there any cheaper accommodation options? I know you listed the 'cheapest' flat, but does it need to be en-suite? It's usually cheaper without; similarly, have you looked at private accommodation and how that is priced? At my undergrad university, the uni accommodation was actually a good bit more expensive than living 'out' in the town.

I have looked at private accommodation, but in most cases, it is coming out more expensive. It is probably because I'd prefer to have a studio flat / 1 bedroom apartment. So I'd be looking at between £5,000 - £7,000 for the same amount of time, but with bills on top.
Reply 3
I get the impression from your post that you'd kind of prefer to live in the city of the uni, in order to enjoy the student life properly. However, if cost is such a big consideration, you might need to scale down your expectations re: accommodation, such as looking for a room in a house/flat share rather than a studio if you were going private, as it's the single biggest expense really.

Just my two cents.
Reply 4
A 3-hour daily commute is insane and it will ruin your postgrad experience. Unless you absolutely have to, avoid it at all costs and look for accomodation where you will be studying. Ideally, you want your lectures to be at most a 10-minute walk from your room but anything like a 15-minute bus ride will do almost as good.
My two cents....

I commuted for 4yrs when I did my u/g degree + foundation yr (entry for mature students) and my commute was about what you've quoted and personally it was frustrating at times, but I got used to it and did enjoy my uni experience even though I wasn't living in halls or near the uni. Its what you make of it. Also, it did not affect my grades that much as I managed to bag a first. It was hard work, but I didn't have the option to stay close to my uni and due to commitments at home had to do the daily commute.

If you really want to save some moola and you looking a bit longer term past your p/g studies, then it may well be worth your while to stay at home and commute. Unless you can find a much cheaper form of accommodation...

I will be starting p/g studies this autumn as well and guess what...I've another commute on my hands (3hrs per day). It will be tough, but like before, I'll get used to it and haven't got an option, so have no choice and my course runs for up to 11 months.

You know yourself...do you think you can do such a commute? If not, then go with the accommodation option, but then you'll have to sacrifice the money and your longer term plans. I know which option I'd take if I was in your shoes.

Good luck with your decision. I hope it works out for you.

Edit: Is your course only 8 months long?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending