The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking a film course?

I'll be joining a university, sometime in 2013, but I've been contemplating whether to take a film class? I'm very keen on doing something in film, at the moment I study writing and production in my own time while also studying programming, 3D design and graphic design.

I keep listening to interviews with certain filmmakers about their experience and all they seem to have gotten from it was meeting other people, which I'd be okay with if I didn't have to spend over £30,000 for the entire course.

Would it be better to take something like computer science and just study film in my own time?
no its a complete waste of time
Reply 2
Your do better trying to get a job as a runner whilst developing your skill in a particular area of film and then hopefully mingling with the right people to get a job with a little more responsibility.

With the cost of university now, everything is now all seriously overpriced and I would only contemplate a degree that provides a good base salary and theres demand for the particular job.

At the end of the day after you finish your degree your going to have to look for a job, it would suck if you had to end up going for something totally irrelevant to your degree just but the industry is so hard to penetrate. If you pick something that has demand your be doing yourself a huge favour.
Reply 3
If you want to do film at uni I'd suggest trying to do it joint with something else. You'll find it more difficult to get a job with a film degree as opposed to having something else to offer (I'm doing Film and English and left a Film and TV course for this reason)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending