The Student Room Group

ALL CYCLISTS SHOULD READ: eyewitness account of cyclist killed by olympic bus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by :)ella
What? What does population size have to do with it?

If you mean population density, the Netherlands are much more densely populated than Britain.

The smaller population size makes it easier to implement changes. How many people would be disrupted by pavement adjustments? Millions. Plus, you'd have to run trials and all of that. As I said, it's easier in smaller countries.
Reply 41
Original post by AlexInWonderland

I thought that in London traffic lights had an area at the front so cyclists can set of first, not needing to be amongst vehicles. I think this is a good idea and should be more widespread in areas where there are lots of cyclists. But, it would require longer green light periods so cars do not get too held up.

Unfortunately, people tend to park on them regardless of whether they are marked or not. I think people seem to think it's fine as there often isn't a bike around/ they don't see one. Obviously the bicycle then comes from somewhere behind to get to the safe spot at the front and is then presented with the dilemma of either going ahead to where they are too far forward to see the traffic lights or trying to make their way back. I have also been shouted at for position myself at the front of traffic and not in the gutter (i.e. where I can be seen) for being in the way.

Original post by snowyowl
Completely agree with you. I've always thought I was alone in holding that view.

Then the law is wrong.

This works fine for a four year old on their little mountain bike, but for any serious commuter or cyclist going above 25km/h on most pavements is **** scary.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Indeed, I ride at between 15 and 20 mph, being on a pavement ain't an option!
Reply 43
I am a regular london cyclist and here are my recommendations in no particular order:

1) Cyclists to require a licence to ride in the road. This licence should be weaved into the driving licence so that drivers can learn what cyclists are taught and vice versa so that they understand and can deal with each other. I see so many cyclists riding like they are in the playground. Cyclists shuold be taught that they are in the road and they have responsibilities.

2) Clamping down on riding without lights/high visibility. Imo riding without these things is far more risky than riding without a helmet even. A helmet protects you IF you crash but visibility helps protect you from cars crashing into you in the first place which is more frequent.

3) Controversial but I'm with Wiggins on this one, Make helmets compulsory. Obvously it wouldnt of helped this guy but it would help many others. It also has the advantage of making your head bigger so you can be seen. As for all those saying they are not that effective. It's common sense really a piece of foam between your head and the tarmac is better than nothing.

4) Banning the use of headphones while cycling. ****ing dangerous no other way to put it. I tried it once and I couldnt hear a thing coming behind me. Also factor in the fact that you arent concentreating fully on the road and I dont know how other cyclists do it. ive had so many other cyclists crash into me while wearing headphones.

5) Getting rid of the advice that cyclists should head to the front at red lights. This actually makes things worse because at a red light the cyclists all scurry through the gaps between the stationary cars in a desperate attempt to get to the front before the lights change. Of course sometime the lights change before they make it leaving the cyclists in an awkward position. Do what I do and stay behind the car ind front of you but make sure you move in and occupy the whole lane while stationary at least, because another common danger is stopping on the kerb and a car not noticing you and pulling up to your right.

6) Primary riding position on narrow roads and sharp bends. This forces drivers to actually prepare and overtake you properly rather than just go straight past and bat you out of the way. Drivers need to learn also that cyclists need space away from parked cars due to the possibility of doors opening. Also they can see you better and you avoid potholes in the gutter.

7) Indicate when changing lane! I have never seen a cyclist do this ever. It's a good idea. Some cyclists may do a half assed indication (as if scared a car is going to knock their arm off) when turning at a junction but that is it. You must always make the driver aware of your intentions. Properly and confidently indicate, then look to make sure the driver is complying then change lane.

8) Dont go anywhere near a truck. I see a truck I get the hell out of the road and let it pass.

9) Let cars pass sometimes. Motorists will gain respect for cyclists as a whole and you will help speed up traffic if youre backing it up.

10) If letting cars pass don't duck in between parked cars then back out again. This si dangerous. When in the road you stay in the road until you indicate that you wish to leave. Same goes with entering. You have to stop, look listen. So if you must let cars pass by going in between parked cars, come to a complete halt then once the cars ahve passed look and indicate that you wish to get back in the road.

11) Don't undertake! This is what the cyclist killed at the olympic stadium did. I see too many cyclists undertaking and then getting knocked off when the car turns. Just wait behind. Always overtake, it may seem scarier but it's actually way safer. a car is higly unlikely to turn right unless at a junction due to cars coming in the opposite junction. the only time that has ever caught me out is when I started overtaking a car and the car started overtaking another car at the same time so naturally we both turned right at the same time. But as I said this is much rarer than cars turning left.

12) Another controversial one. Allow cyclists to jump SOME lights. I'm talking about Pedestrian crossings where noone is crossing. This is beacuse I'm a believer that if rules are made more transparent and understanding people are more likely to follow. From a cyclists point of view they have to stop for absolutely no reason (they are not in a box they can see for sure if anyone is going to cross the road). If you built up speed through your own exertion you are very reluctant to stop for such trivial reasons. Anyway the safety point of this is that if cyclists jump the aforementioned lights (which they will) they then essentially see themselves as "outlaws" i.e they already illegally jump some lights so why not all? Allow light jumpings at the aforementioned lights but never at junctions or if people are crossing.

13) Drivers need to be told to stop left hooking around cyclists. It's simple physics. If the bike is doing 15 and youre doing 30 and you slow to 15 to take the corner the cyclist is going to hit you.

14) When turning left at a junction make sure you turn on the outside curve to stop cars from ovetaking you on the turn. Likewise drivers should be told to stop doing this.

15) final controversial one. Allow cycling on the pavement so long as you are going slowly i.e not faster than the pedestrians. This is because sometimes youre at a scary junction or theres a big truck and you feel scared and you may want to ride along the pavement for a bit in relative safety. The vast majority of the time pavements are pretty empty and if you see pedestrians up ahead its not hard to use your brain and ask to pass/go around them slowly. Another reason is you may be tired but not quite want to stop, better youre crawling along the pavement slow enough to not harm anyone than crawling along the road and pissing off drivers.

16) And finally raise the age youre allowed to ride on teh pavement to 16. Currently its 12 i think. This puts young people off getting into cycling. What parent will allow their 12 year old in the road on their own? I started out on the pavement. All my friends from school when chilling round the back of town at weekend on their bikes used the pavement. I admit I was a tearaway on the pavement but if I was taught "right you can use the pavement but be careful and considerate and give pedestrians right of way" I would of been more aware and taken more care.
Quite a few cyclists are killed by riding alongside a vehicle in it's blind spot as it makes a left turn. This is extremely dangerous and cyclists need to be taught not to do it.

Two days ago I was almost killed by a motorist who overtook me and turned left without using his mirror almost hitting me in the process - luckily I managed to break in time. Motorists need to check their mirrors more often.

Laziness on the motorists part kills as much as recklessness on the cyclists part.
Reply 45
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
The smaller population size makes it easier to implement changes. How many people would be disrupted by pavement adjustments? Millions. Plus, you'd have to run trials and all of that. As I said, it's easier in smaller countries.

That's completely crazy :s-smilie: It's not like small countries are small enough that every person can morph into one and have the same opinion

It's people like you with this 'it won't work it won't work let's make sure it doesn't work' attitude that means nothing ever changes and improvements are never made.

Roads are redesigned all the time - building cycle lanes is really not that difficult and you're making it sound like it's a ludicrous idea.
Original post by Tyraell
Unfortunately, people tend to park on them regardless of whether they are marked or not. I think people seem to think it's fine as there often isn't a bike around/ they don't see one. Obviously the bicycle then comes from somewhere behind to get to the safe spot at the front and is then presented with the dilemma of either going ahead to where they are too far forward to see the traffic lights or trying to make their way back. I have also been shouted at for position myself at the front of traffic and not in the gutter (i.e. where I can be seen) for being in the way.

This works fine for a four year old on their little mountain bike, but for any serious commuter or cyclist going above 25km/h on most pavements is **** scary.

It's a shame it doesn't work in practice then, it seems like a practical idea.
I have next to no experience of city riding, I like quiet country lanes! How do you feel about filtering through traffic to get near the front of queue of traffic? Personally, I don't think I would want to do this, but obviously it's good to make progress. The closest I have had to this is coming up to a roundabout, but it wasn't at a busy time so I didn't really loose out by waiting in turn behind a car.

While I disagree with the poster before that we should ride in the center of the lane in general, for junctions it really is a safety thing. To be honest, motorists expect us to be out of the way on normal stretches of road; so it's fair enough we use junctions with safety being the priority.

I also agree with you, cycling on pavements is not a solution. It would just pose an unacceptable danger to pedestrians and cause us to ride much slower.
Original post by KingGoonIan
Two days ago I was almost killed by a motorist who overtook me and turned left without using his mirror almost hitting me in the process - luckily I managed to break in time. Motorists need to check their mirrors more often.

Laziness on the motorists part kills as much as recklessness on the cyclists part.

I completely agree, motorists are just as bad. I just thought it important to emphasise the danger of doing what this guy did. I imagine some people may be doing this and not realising the potential for injury or death.

In your case, that driver was obviously completely unsafe to be on the roads. I think a lot of drivers are too impatient.

I also think drivers lack an awareness of the space a cyclist might need. The other day I was riding down a road with a row of parked cars. I had right of way, but a car came through anyway. This was a narrow road; there was definitely not enough room to pass safely. His mirror came very close to knocking me off. Was not at all impressed!
x

Your point is a good one I was just providing the other side :smile:

The motorist in my case was driving a personalised black Ferrari on an empty road in Knightsbridge. If I hadn't of braked quick enough I would've hit his brand new sparkly car - part of me wish I did go over the top. I bet it would've been my fault somehow. :rolleyes:
There's a concept I've noticed recently of 'suicyclists'

You can tell a suicylclist in these ways:
- they don't wear a helmet
- they pull out either not looking for traffic or even when there is very close traffic ( eg on a roundabout not giving way to the right, a cyclist did this to me the other day)

Also, on the topic of sharing the pavements. The A308 which I've been using to get to Eton Dormey has shared pavements for bicycles and pedestrians. Great, except that the pedestrians don't notice this and walk along the whole width of the pavement. I've got more assertive with a single use of my bell to alert them to my presence :tongue:

Also, another one here for taking the centre of the lane. Not just at junctions but where there's lots going on. Eg there's a bridge where I live where there wouldn't be enough space for a car to overtake me safely, so I position myself in the centre of the lane to prevent them overtaking at all. Also when the roads are very quiet you're safer in the centre of the lane.
Original post by :)ella
That's completely crazy :s-smilie: It's not like small countries are small enough that every person can morph into one and have the same opinion

It's people like you with this 'it won't work it won't work let's make sure it doesn't work' attitude that means nothing ever changes and improvements are never made.

Roads are redesigned all the time - building cycle lanes is really not that difficult and you're making it sound like it's a ludicrous idea.

I'm going to be honest, I don't even know how you reached your first point. I haven't stated or implied anything near that.

Did I say it wouldn't work? Nope. Please, try to read what is written. I said it is easier in smaller countries because less people are impacted by the construction of cycle lanes or whatever.

This thread is a pathetic, knee-jerk reaction to someone dying. Yes, it's tragic, but you can't stop death. If you don't want to risk dying whilst cycling, don't cycle. I have been hit by a car whilst cycling - but, it happens.
Original post by Tyraell

Using an online converter, I'm told 25kmph = 15mph.

Can you explain to me how going at 15mph on the pavement, where all other 'traffic' will either be pedestrians (going much slower) or other cyclists, is "**** scary" and therefore shouldn't be done... yet cycling on the main roads, where the traffic will be going at 60/70mph on most roads, is absolutely fine?
Reply 51
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
I'm going to be honest, I don't even know how you reached your first point. I haven't stated or implied anything near that.

Did I say it wouldn't work? Nope. Please, try to read what is written. I said it is easier in smaller countries because less people are impacted by the construction of cycle lanes or whatever.

This thread is a pathetic, knee-jerk reaction to someone dying. Yes, it's tragic, but you can't stop death. If you don't want to risk dying whilst cycling, don't cycle. I have been hit by a car whilst cycling - but, it happens.

So less people benefit from the construction of them as well...
and that is completely ridiculous - you can't 'stop death' once an accident has happened but you can damn well reduce the number of accidents in the first place

It's terrifying that there are people like you who are so desperate to do nothing, even tiny changes like building a few more cycle lanes (which London has already started to do).
Reply 52
Put me on flat ground and I will cycle at 25mph.

Unsuitable for pavements and I would refuse to cycle on them because I would be a danger to pedestrians.

From looking at the picture of the accident several people said on cycling forums that it appeared that the cyclist was on the inside of the bus turning left. I don't think there's much that can be said about that really, just don't let it happen by cycling in the middle of the road. I'd rather make someone else 30 seconds late then have my intestines crushed under a bus, but hey that's just me.
Reply 53
It's tragic that he lost his life. Was he trying to head to an advanced stop line when the lights changed?

Can you explain to me how going at 15mph on the pavement, where all other 'traffic' will either be pedestrians (going much slower) or other cyclists, is "**** scary" and therefore shouldn't be done... yet cycling on the main roads, where the traffic will be going at 60/70mph on most roads, is absolutely fine?

Maybe if you live in a sparsely populated part of the country where people on most roads will be doing 70, then you also live in a part of the country where the pavements would be suitable for cycling...

In the cities and towns where most cycling is done, the average car speed is gonna be around 30 to 40. The pavements are also full of pensioners/tourists/lads who won't be walking in straight, predictable lines, but meandering along randomly. It's annoying enough walking behind these people, let alone having to worry about hitting them.

Original post by Podcaster
I am a regular london cyclist and here are my recommendations in no particular order...

Pretty much agree with everything you said.
Except I'm not totally sure on the Wiggins helmet thing. How many head injuries do helmets cause by doubling the size of your head? Is this less than the number of injuries averted by wearing them? There are certain situations where they're essential, but I'm not sure city cycling is one of them.
Reply 54
Using an online converter, I'm told 25kmph = 15mph.

The reasons it's scary are:
1) out of consideration for other pedestrians who are going <3mph and probably aren't looking where they're going, are coming out of shops/ corners/buses randomly and are generally flinging their arms around. I've been hit and walked in to when walking past people slower than me, let alone cycling past.
2) pavements are far narrower and far less smooth than roads with less room for maneuver. This is fine for anything not on wheels or going slowly, but not once you start picking up speed.

Note also I said 25km/h+, meaning that's around the minimum people would be going. On the flat I'm generally hitting around 20-25 mph and down hill around 40mph.

Also, I avoid roads with 60mph speed limits unless I have to. I don't think any one would be in doubt that it's more dangerous for a cyclist to be on these roads than one with a 30mph limit. Often I'll be on roads where the cars aren't going too much faster than myself and where if I am unfortunate enough to crash in to someone it will be me who absorbs 10mph+ of deceleration, rather than the pedestrian I might otherwise be flying in to. Of course I don't go out with the intention of crashing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by HeatherHatter
Cyclists shouldn't be on the pavements, for the simple reason of it being illegal- check the highway code.

This is something I have never understood, despite it being the law. If a cyclist collides with anything on the pavement, it is highly unlikely that anybody will die. However, any collision on a road could be catastrophic and subject to a massive domino effect.

I'm confused.
cyclists should be on pavements its easier to avoid a person than a car...
Reply 57
Original post by TKC

Pretty much agree with everything you said.
Except I'm not totally sure on the Wiggins helmet thing. How many head injuries do helmets cause by doubling the size of your head? Is this less than the number of injuries averted by wearing them? There are certain situations where they're essential, but I'm not sure city cycling is one of them.

It would be interesting to see whether helmets to cause more accidents, whether for the reason you said or simply because cyclists and motorists might be inclined to take more risks when helmets are involved. Having said that, I used to not wear one on odd occasions if I was going a particularly short or safe route, until one day I came off my bike and saw the chunks the ground took out of my helmet.
Reply 58
Original post by RibenaRockstar
There's a concept I've noticed recently of 'suicyclists'

You can tell a suicylclist in these ways:
- they don't wear a helmet
- they pull out either not looking for traffic or even when there is very close traffic ( eg on a roundabout not giving way to the right, a cyclist did this to me the other day)

Add to this:

Cyclists who disregard red lights;

Cyclists who weave between stationary cars, alternately veering into the path of oncoming traffic and obstructing the left-hand lane because they can't bring themselves to 'cede the advantage';

Cyclists who assume a central road position for the sole purpose of overtaking, heedless of (potentially much larger) vehicles approaching from the opposite direction who must now try to accommodate a lunatic travelling the wrong way at twenty miles-per-hour;

Cyclists who ride hands-free at any time, anywhere, ever.

Also, another one here for taking the centre of the lane. Not just at junctions but where there's lots going on. Eg there's a bridge where I live where there wouldn't be enough space for a car to overtake me safely, so I position myself in the centre of the lane to prevent them overtaking at all. Also when the roads are very quiet you're safer in the centre of the lane.

A white van once sounded its horn at me for having the temerity to shift into the centre of an otherwise deserted road prior to entering a large roundabout, despite this being textbook procedure: to say that I found myself moved to profanity would be quite a significant understatement.
Original post by Tyraell
It would be interesting to see whether helmets to cause more accidents, whether for the reason you said or simply because cyclists and motorists might be inclined to take more risks when helmets are involved. Having said that, I used to not wear one on odd occasions if I was going a particularly short or safe route, until one day I came off my bike and saw the chunks the ground took out of my helmet.

I read that on roads, drivers are more inclined to give room when overtaking to those not wearing a helmet; aparantly they subconsciously expect people wearing a helmet to ride in a less erratic manner.
The funniest part of the article was when the guy doing the experiment wore a wig to look like a woman, drivers also gave him more room. Let's not read too much into that, eh? :wink:

On a light hearted note, the solution to this dilemma may have been solved on Only Fools and Horses. Del once tried to make a helmet with a turban on it so Sikhs could use the road safely. If we all did this, drivers would think we were just wearing a turban and give us room!

The article again raises the danger of ill-maintained gutters on roads, where there are usually pot holes. A few weeks ago, my dad was cycling on an empty road and hit a pothole he didn't notice. Even at low speeds, this crash cause road rash down his arm and leg. The arm ended up with a small stone embedded in which required a trip to A&E. The infection of this meant taking very strong drugs and a week off work.
Imagine if this happened while a car is in the middle of an overtaking maneuvere!
This is why I think maintaining the edge of roads is an important step. It would allow cars more room to overtake and would make cycling safer and more comfortable (especially for those of us on road bikes!).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5334208.stm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending