The Student Room Group

Oxford 2012 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by such_a_lady
I want my welcome pack :fuhrer:

Edit: just realised Magdalen are trying to save paper and put this in my email :frown: http://www.magd.ox.ac.uk/admissions/freshers/undergraduate

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I want mine too :cry2:
I want my welcome pack :fuhrer:

Edit: just realised Magdalen are trying to save paper and put this in my email :frown: http://www.magd.ox.ac.uk/admissions/freshers/undergraduate

I got something like this as well. :lol: Credit to our colleges for being environmentally conscientious, I suppose.

The welcome pack had the effect of both exciting me and scaring the living daylights out of me. I've just returned from holiday so am now ordering books off Amazon and cleaning out my room. :work:
Original post by candide
A class a week or something, I think (at least for Biomed, but I guess its probly the same maths course). Doesn't sound too bad!

Original post by RebbyLea
I think I read somewhere on the website that they run an optional course to teach whatever maths you'll need (unless you didn't do A Level or equivalent maths, in which case you've got no choice). I'm probably gonnado that, just to make sure that I definitely know everything.

I'll jump in if I may.. (again) :ninja:
You're right - Biochemists and Biomedical Scientists both take the same 'Maths & Statistics' course, and the same exam come Trinity. You'll both share the same lectures for the course, so there's a nice opportunity to mix with another subject if you wish to! The lectures are "compulsory", though your friends can always pick up the handout, if say, you're ill. The Maths classes (and Stats ones which occur later in the year) aren't compulsory, and it's up to you whether or not you want to go to them. There's one class each week, for which you need to complete a problem sheet in advance. The class is generally used to go through the problems on the sheet, and help you if you're stuck. Whether you're signed up to Maths classes at the start of the year depends on the tutor (and thus college), but you'll find out more about this when you arrive. It's also worth noting that classes are separate for Biochemists and Biomedical Scientists, and students are put into classes of the same ability - by this I mean the highest Maths qualification (or equivalent) that each student has achieved.
i'm so terrified
Original post by doloroushazy
i'm so terrified

:console: what of?
Reply 185
Hey guys,

when do you arrive in Oxford? I am not quite sure how much time I´ll need to get things sorted and thus I was wondering when you guys plan to arrive :smile: The graduate information days start on 27th of September and thus I thought of arriving on the 25th!?? Do you think that´s early enough or is it advisable to arrive on 22nd?

Cheers
What is everyone's 'Oxford' thing they are most looking forward to doing?

Punting? Entering the Bod? Sub fusc? Or something smaller?

Original post by Julialala
Yup! I've got two mothers (ironically), they're both so lovely! :biggrin:

No idea about siblings yet.

I have two mothers too! :confused: I wonder if there is a specific reason for it, or if at Worcester there are just more females than males? On the off-chance that someone reads this, my sister is called Hester and my mothers are called Rachel and Cydonie :biggrin:

Original post by dnumberwang
Got my big envelope of stuff from Worcester today, it has way too many sheets so I'll read it later

IT'S IMMENSE. Seriously though, when you have time, look at the programme for Fresher's :eek:

Original post by whimsicality

Formal Hall! :rolleyes:
Really looking forward to starting at Oxford this October!

I'm feeling rather left behind seeing as mine was an Open Offer and only just received a reading list from Magdalen which was sent to Magdalen offer holders over a month ago! :eek:

There's so many things I've been getting excited to do, and planning to do, that I'm a bit overwhelmed - I feel that I might forget some really crucial thing that I've been wanting to do at Oxford for the past year and will therefore be missing out... :tongue:

All this while waiting for the reading list books which I ordered on Amazon to arrive...

Fresher's week looks really chaotic but so fun - Can't wait :smile:
Original post by Niki_girl
I have two mothers too! :confused: I wonder if there is a specific reason for it, or if at Worcester there are just more females than males? On the off-chance that someone reads this, my sister is called Hester and my mothers are called Rachel and Cydonie :biggrin:

It's likely either there are more girls than boys, or your mothers decided to get married :biggrin: College don't care as long as there's two of you and you do different subjects.

And why should they? :smile:
Reply 190

Come to Magdalen and try the famous Magdalen Mousse!! :frown:

IT'S IMMENSE. Seriously though, when you have time, look at the programme for Fresher's :eek:

My first thought was "Oh there's another volume to add to the reading list".

I went from excited to freaked out to fidgety anticipation.

I wonder if I'm the only one left who doesn't use Facebook. Even the pack assumes I do...

I'm also terrified that no one will like me :sad: but it's all very scary and Hogwartsian: "out of bounds", "gowns are to be worn"...

Reply 193
Just briefly, I'm presuming the reading list is 100% compulsory insofar as everything has to be read in full (unless certain parts are specified)? It's not so much that I'm overwhelmed (albeit enormous and totally unreadable for my mediocre French) I was expecting such a quantity - and would have probably been disappointed if the list wasn't quite so extensive! Some friends at other universities (ought to mention none of them Russell group or "competitive" - read that as you want) say that the reading list is merely suggestive and not prescriptive - but I'm skeptical.

Others have suggested to read only books specified for the first term but I assume that's somewhat risky? Thanks in advance!
Original post by ellirose
Just briefly, I'm presuming the reading list is 100% compulsory insofar as everything has to be read in full (unless certain parts are specified)? It's not so much that I'm overwhelmed (albeit enormous and totally unreadable for my mediocre French) I was expecting such a quantity - and would have probably been disappointed if the list wasn't quite so extensive! Some friends at other universities (ought to mention none of them Russell group or "competitive" - read that as you want) say that the reading list is merely suggestive and not prescriptive - but I'm skeptical.

Others have suggested to read only books specified for the first term but I assume that's somewhat risky? Thanks in advance!

The list is compulsory except for texts specified as secondary reading (there are around 18 primary texts if I remember correctly) For first year it's less about exploring a period and more focused on specific texts so it's important to read all of them.

I read all the books in the summer but I think I was the only one in my college to do so and everyone else did ok. The problem with tactical reading is that some colleges do things in a different order. The first term texts are normally the commentary ones but I know that last year St Annes people did narrative fiction for michaelmas. For French sole you normally start with film and then begin Thought by the end of Michaelmas.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BJack
Come to Magdalen and try the famous Magdalen Mousse!! :frown:

I will do! I'll find a way, either hall surfing or I shall visit Chiara (if she wants me, that is :colondollar:)

My first thought was "Oh there's another volume to add to the reading list".

I went from excited to freaked out to fidgety anticipation.

I wonder if I'm the only one left who doesn't use Facebook. Even the pack assumes I do...

To be fair, a lot of Worcester 2012 Freshers are actually on here, so it's not that important to be on the Facebook group...I'll update you if anything crazy is decided, but I'm sure if it were something important they would use a more reliable method of communication than Facebook!

I'm also terrified that no one will like me :sad: but it's all very scary and Hogwartsian: "out of bounds", "gowns are to be worn"...

You'll always have TSR people! Not to mention that I don't think you'll have any problems making many friends anyway, societies, subject meetings, people in your accomodation etc. :smile:

I have to admit, some of the the rules and regulations seem daunting, but it's only because we're unfamiliar with them!
fresh meat
Reply 197
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
The list is compulsory except for texts specified as secondary reading (there are around 18 primary texts if I remember correctly) For first year it's less about exploring a period and more focused on specific texts so it's important to read all of them.

I read all the books in the summer but I think I was the only one in my college to do so and everyone else did ok. The problem with tactical reading is that some colleges do things in a different order. The first term texts are normally the commentary ones but I know that last year St Annes people did narrative fiction for michaelmas. For French sole you normally start with film and then begin Thought by the end of Michaelmas.

Thank you - I'm planning on reading it all anyway in the next six weeks and don't want to be caught out!
Reply 198
Original post by flying_ifan
Really looking forward to starting at Oxford this October!

I'm feeling rather left behind seeing as mine was an Open Offer and only just received a reading list from Magdalen which was sent to Magdalen offer holders over a month ago! :eek:

)

...magdalen? That's fantastic! Don't worry about the other lot getting their reading list sooner..you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many haven't done mich of anything about it (not the ones on TSR, of course...all those other ones!)
Reply 199
Original post by sixdaysinthesun
Yeah, I am.
You too! Are you in the Facebook group?

Thought so, I have been reading this thread far too much :tongue: I have liked the Facebook group but haven't been added to it yet by whoever is admin...

Everything! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending