The Student Room Group

20 UCAS points short on a Foundation Year, at Huddz Uni advice please ?

Applied to a foundation year Mech Engineering, but iv most likely missed the tariff by 20 points, do want to get in Uni this year, anyone have any advice or help on what i can do, or what to say when i contact the Uni informing them, worried =/

Thankyou ! =)
Reply 1
Ring them up and beg them to take you, if it's only 20 points and a foundation year they should accept you if the course hasn't filled up (remember, they'll want your tuition fee's)
Original post by CallumTM
beg them to take you

while the rest of your post is pretty much spot on not many universities will be impressed be vague begging. I'm guessing the OP was hoping for advice beyond "ring up and say "pleasepleaseplease let me in"". :wink:
Reply 3
Im quite assured that i am 20 points short before receiving my results, as i missed a exam due to family issues, so should i call them up now and explain my calculations show ill be 1 grade/20 points short now? because its very likely the course gets filled up straight away, they are my firm offer though.
Reply 4
Thats the thing, i cant just sat "please let me in, pretty please" lol, but thankyou, is still useful information, im more concerned about whaqt they will ask me wen i inform them and if i sohlud do it now, along with this i was wondering if ill be classed a mature student as i am turn 21 this January?
Reply 5
If you tell them about your situation of family issues and if you were predicted the required grades and your teachers can vouch for you then i see no reason why they wouldn't accept you
As above - if you've missed an exam then you're better to get your teachers to email/phone the university to explain the circumstances. From you it sounds like an excuse, from them it sounds like a good reason :smile:
Reply 7
the main thought on my mind is if i should inform them now, because on the 16th all te places will be taken up reali quickly, thanks Callum, the issue with teachers assisting me is i am a private candidate, learned my self without teachers, so shall i inform them now or on results day =/
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
As above - if you've missed an exam then you're better to get your teachers to email/phone the university to explain the circumstances. From you it sounds like an excuse, from them it sounds like a good reason :smile:

Tbh that is a realy good idea and what i say will sound like excuses to the admissions, but as i am a prvate candidate the school & teachers have no responsibilites towards me, and my situation wasnt taken into special consideration by the exam board too =/
Original post by mosw
Tbh that is a realy good idea and what i say will sound like excuses to the admissions, but as i am a prvate candidate the school & teachers have no responsibilites towards me, and my situation wasnt taken into special consideration by the exam board too =/

Do you have anyone in a position of authority who would be able (and willing) to vouch for you? family friend, employer, doctor, social worker, teacher (even if they aren't teaching you atm) etc...

Anyone who could write you a reference/email verifying that you are telling the truth.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Do you have anyone in a position of authority who would be able (and willing) to vouch for you? family friend, employer, doctor, social worker, teacher (even if they aren't teaching you atm) etc...

Anyone who could write you a reference/email verifying that you are telling the truth.

I can definitely do this, and get someone to vouch for me, most definitely, i will think and get in contact with my best option, so do you think i should contact them now before results day or on results day, baring in mind the places fill up on results day =/
Original post by mosw
I can definitely do this, and get someone to vouch for me, most definitely, i will think and get in contact with my best option, so do you think i should contact them now before results day or on results day, baring in mind the places fill up on results day =/

I'd suggest getting in touch tomorrow to let them know you're worried. It has to be tomorrow though - they aren't allowed to talk to you about your application next week until Thursday.

Then if need be you can get your person to vouch for you to help you on results day if they reject you or if your Track is still showing as conditional :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
I'd suggest getting in touch tomorrow to let them know you're worried. It has to be tomorrow though - they aren't allowed to talk to you about your application next week until Thursday.

Then if need be you can get your person to vouch for you to help you on results day if they reject you or if your Track is still showing as conditional :smile:

Thankyouu ! i will do that, ill call up admissions tomoz, and let them know the situation, im glad u told me that, i wasnt aware i wont be able to get any info after tomorow =/ .. it makes sense letting them know before, im just panicky and confused =)
Original post by mosw
Im quite assured that i am 20 points short before receiving my results, as i missed a exam due to family issues, so should i call them up now and explain my calculations show ill be 1 grade/20 points short now? because its very likely the course gets filled up straight away, they are my firm offer though.

Ring the university up and also ask your college teachers and subject teachers to have a word too! Im sure they will let you in if you explain why you are 20 points short.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending