The Student Room Group

Access course & EPQ

Hello everyone! :chaplin:

I will be starting my Access Course this September and I am aware that the workload is going to be a bit on the heavy side but I was just wondering whether anyone had completed an EPQ also? And if so, was it manageable?

I would rather not do it if it could affect my chances of gaining a higher grade for the Access Course but because I have my sights set on going to Nottingham I'd like to make sure my application stands out a little. Especially considering it's extremely hard, for mature students in particular, to judge how your application will be taken.
Reply 1
I haven't done an access course, but have done an EPQ around A-levels. I think it depends how long you're planning on giving yourself to complete it, from start idea to presentation. I did mine in about 9 months, but that was nothing like flat out work, it was small amounts when I felt like it really. SO I would say that it isn't too time consuming, but then again I have to say I don't think that it helped my undergrad application, it was related to the course and none of the universities mentioned it in offers. But I found doing mine quite enjoyable, as it was a subject I was genuinely interested in, even if it didn't actually help my application. Hope that gives you something to think about.
Reply 2
Original post by Claire888
I haven't done an access course, but have done an EPQ around A-levels. I think it depends how long you're planning on giving yourself to complete it, from start idea to presentation. I did mine in about 9 months, but that was nothing like flat out work, it was small amounts when I felt like it really. SO I would say that it isn't too time consuming, but then again I have to say I don't think that it helped my undergrad application, it was related to the course and none of the universities mentioned it in offers. But I found doing mine quite enjoyable, as it was a subject I was genuinely interested in, even if it didn't actually help my application. Hope that gives you something to think about.

It does, thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Someone on my access course got into Nottingham to do Zoology. I think his offer was around 30 distinctions which he more than achieved. My point being it is possible to get into Nottingham with just the access course. I can only think of the one person who applied to them on my course but the offer they gave was a fair one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending