The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A lot of the time it's to do with confidence; I find a lot of the Asain men I know are cowardly in terms of parental pressure which is childlike and uncomfortable but act confidently and act like you can make up your own mind without asking mummy and you'll be fine... Besides it's more about the person than the race
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
A lot of the time it's to do with confidence; I find a lot of the Asain men I know are cowardly in terms of parental pressure which is childlike and uncomfortable but act confidently and act like you can make up your own mind without asking mummy and you'll be fine... Besides it's more about the person than the race

You obviously have no experience with Indian/Asian parents. Parental pressure is there for us from the beginning; it's almost like a mini dictatorship for most because of culture and/or religion...

Please do not state something you have NO idea about. Generally speaking we suffer from this right from the time we are born. It is in our culture. Nothing can change it. Nothing.

Hell many Indians are FORCED to become a doc/engineer from parental pressure. Why else do you find huge %'s of asians there? Indian parents think that docs and engineers are the best jobs.

My grandmother is currently trying to convince my cousin to become a doc since the time he was 11 or so. He is clever so my grandmother wants him to become a doc!

She even used the words of this nature '' If you become a doc then my soul will rest in peace'' :s-smilie:

Having said this Indian girls have it worse. Atleast in India :s-smilie:
Reply 23
Please do not state something you have NO idea about. Generally speaking we suffer from this right from the time we are born. It is in our culture. Nothing can change it. Nothing.

Hell many Indians are FORCED to become a doc/engineer from parental pressure. Why else do you find huge %'s of asians there? Indian parents think that docs and engineers are the best jobs.

My grandmother is currently trying to convince my cousin to become a doc since the time he was 11 or so. He is clever so my grandmother wants him to become a doc!

She even used the words of this nature '' If you become a doc then my soul will rest in peace'' :s-smilie:

Having said this Indian girls have it worse. Atleast in India :s-smilie:

I rest my case lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 24
I was wondering whether or not it matters. I'm Indian and a few of the Caucasian females I've met have said that they don't usually date Indian guys, so it's made me wonder if most Caucasian females share that opinion.

Maybe its because you say things like Caucasian females instead of white girls/women?

I have to admit I've not seen many white girl/indian guy couples.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i
Reply 25
It is in our culture. Nothing can change it. Nothing.

Oh that's right cultures never ever change! Oh wait they do.
Reply 26
Oh look, it's this thread again
Original post by gm15
Oh that's right cultures never ever change! Oh wait they do.

lol ok let me explain.

My parents grew up in India so they brought me up with that indian culture they were brought up in. I have grown up in the UK and yeah the culture will change when I have kids. I will not bring my kids up in the style I was brought up in.
Reply 29
High achievement, low self-esteem. Something has to change.

Someone doesnt like OP, now they start a thread! Your not liked now get over it"
Reply 31

Haah!

One of my friends prefers Indian guys to any other race, she still lives in the town we grew up in which has a huge Indian community, so she's not short of choice aha. Seriously, I wouldn't worry about girls not being attracted to you just because of your race as its very rare that somebody has that attitude.
Topics concerning race can be sensitive, and I hope that what I say next will not be misconstrued in any way.
It's a well-known fact that many Asian people date and marry within their race, and want their children to do the same. There also seems to be something of a stereotype regarding this. I'm not saying the stereotype is correct - I'm just stating that there is one. It might be that women assume that an Asian man is not allowed to date outside his race and as a result might rule him out as a potential partner and not bother to flirt or send any signals of attraction his way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Many Asians are afraid of death of the culture. Marrying inside your own groups also feel more stable. But you can't control who you are attracted to.

I don't know to be sure myself man. But from what I have noticed in Bristol and Bath, most of them don't seem to be going out with Indian guys. Please don't get me wrong, there might be a few really open minded girls who do but from my experience, most white women I have seen with Indian guys are decent lookers and above average looking women. I have never seen Indian guys with ugly white women or with really hot white women. So there goes my two cents bro. Good luck with whatever you want, if they reject you, smile and walk away and never compromise your dignity for them. As for people asking him not to stick to a racial group, it maybe his desire, I don't think anyone can control what kind of women they are attracted to at the moment. It might just be a phase but the desire is sometimes strong enough to act on it.
I think it's more culture than looks. A lot of Asians come across as more shy/introverted than white and black people, our culture promotes more extroverted attitudes. It's probably just a case of putting yourself out there and boosting your confidence, like it is for all of us, there's just an extra challenge. To be fair, it goes both ways, I'm quite a loud person and I think I've maybe scared off Asian girls who I've hit on in the past.
I've seen a fair few Indian males dating white females, so they are certainly desired by some of them.
Original post by eco123
I'm a 20yr old indian (turning 21 soon), and I have never done anything with a women. I was always very shy and quiet growing up, especially around girls, so nothing really much happened in secondary school, I did try asking some girls out but they failed miserably. I went through a period of unrequited love for awhile with one of the girls I asked out and even now it still troubles me, albiet rarely.

Over the years though I have worked on improving myself and my confidence, and the changes from how I was before compared to now are amazing. I'm not too worried about looks, I always try to keep in shape and i'm confident in my appearance, however I can't imagine being with a girl.

For some reason everytime I think about it, it feels so alien to the point where I can't picture myself in those situations. A little part of my feels like i've given up and I don't know what to do about it, I know this mindset is wrong but how do I change it.

When I look at my friends and family and see their relationships, i'm happy, but at the same time envious. I would love to be in a relationship or just have casual flings but just can't picture it.

I'm not sure what to expect from this tbh, just felt like expressing some insecurities.

You just described my exact situation man. I am 21 about to turn 22 soon and I have never been in a relationship either. I have loads of confidence in other areas and I am a high achiever but when it comes to women, the whole thing just falls apart. I feel envious too but there is nothing we can do about it I guess. These racism threads and generalising threads do nothing to help our confidence. All I can say is, there will be compensation at some point, from whatever I have observed, so don't lose heart and keep at it :smile:
Original post by Mankytoes
I think it's more culture than looks. A lot of Asians come across as more shy/introverted than white and black people, our culture promotes more extroverted attitudes. It's probably just a case of putting yourself out there and boosting your confidence, like it is for all of us, there's just an extra challenge. To be fair, it goes both ways, I'm quite a loud person and I think I've maybe scared off Asian girls who I've hit on in the past.

Haha I hear you man. Sometimes Asian girls run away from loud guys because they are taught that the louder a man is, the less intelligent he will turn out to be. Indian culture promotes the strong and silent stereotype.

Latest

Trending

Trending