The Student Room Group

Got a 3rd in first year at university, am I doomed?

Hey guys,

My whole academic life I was doing completely fine and was very happy to be studying at a good university.

However, I don't know what happened. I got lazy, didn't work properly, left it to last minute to revise and ended up with a 3rd. I did revise a lot during exam periods (and after easter) but given the caliber of my university and my course I guess it wasn't enough.

My first year counts 1/9 of my course. So my question is how badly will this affect me? I also have to retake one module next year and apparently if I do well in that my average can get pushed up maybe to a 2:1.

But, in terms of applying to investment banking internships for second year, am I completely screwed?

How can I pull myself back up? My self-esteem and faith in my brains has completely disappeared!

Thanks. Take care.
anyone please?
Reply 2
Getting a 3rd in first year isn't the end of the world. You can still come back from it.
Original post by .ACS.
Getting a 3rd in first year isn't the end of the world. You can still come back from it.

I still can't get over your avatar!

btw how do you become a mod/PS helper/forum assistant/etc.?
Reply 4
Original post by Junaid96
I still can't get over your avatar!

btw how do you become a mod/PS helper/forum assistant/etc.?

Hah thanks. :biggrin:

Not sure about becoming a mod. But to become a PS Helper, you just apply I think. For a Forum Assistant, I literally live in the Economics Uni forum, post loads, and was always reporting posts to be moved, etc. if they were in the wrong place, so was just asked one day. Hope that helps. :smile:
You can still finish with a 1st so don't worry.
Original post by .ACS.

Thanks for your reply. I've heard that a lot and even from my academic advisor but it has knocked my confidence completely. In terms of internships and future employment (the 3rd and one module fail will show in my transcript) how badly will I be affected?
Reply 7
Certainly not an ideal situation, but nothing you can't recover from. Now you know next year you have to put in some serious work, consistently throughout not just before exams, and do much better.

Will almost certainly disadvantage you for internship applications, but nothing you can do now other than make sure it doesn't happen again and this time next year you are in a stronger position.

Best of luck.
I don't know of anyone who scored a 3rd in first year and ended up with a 1st :frown:
My course is structured something like 1: 3: 5, I got a third in year one and two (48% atm) and can still get a 2:1 overall..... next year will be interesting.

I also managed to get an internship with Bt over the summer so I wouldn't worry
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
But you're Asian.....how's....that....possible..... :eek:
Original post by 2ndClass
But you're Asian.....how's....that....possible..... :eek:

Sorry, we're human too?
Reply 12
Original post by memyselfandi93
Sorry, we're human too?

Tis' a joke.

Regarding your question, if your 1st year only counts 1/9, don't worry about it. Make it up in your second and third.
OP think about it logically.

Is a bad grade which makes up 1/9 of your degree really going to be detrimental to your overall classification?

Try harder and ace those other components of your degree.
Reply 14
Assuming the worst case senario of 40% in first year you will need to get 62.5% to get a 60 average overall. So really as long as you produce 2.i work from now on you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending