The Student Room Group

Big AS Results Shock

Right, I'll keep this brief, dispassionate and to the point:

University & course I want: Oxford; English Language and Literature
AS Results: AACCC
Reaction: ....."Ohhh dear".

In English Lit I got 2 off full marks which I'm obviously pleased about, but not surprised about because that's what I'm good at.
I got a C in Philosophy which was a MASSIVE shock as I thought I was well on my way to getting an A; my papers in class were consistently good, I was getting As/Bs, and my revision for the exam was doing a lot of past papers by looking at other papers that got A grades. Basically, I think I might just have written about the wrong thing or something.
History I only did one paper because I got very ill in the middle of exams and had to miss one paper and force myself to go in and do the others. The other A there is General which, although irrelevant really, was nice because (due to a timetable mess-up) I didn't actually go to 80% of the lessons.
Basically, what I wanted to know is if the prospect of English at Oxford is just... gone? Can you not just be great at the subject you want to do? Can I just ace the ELAT, have a great Personal Statement and possibly get through to an interview or is it just a lost cause now?
Thanks.
Reply 1
Well if it's possible you can phone Oxford and speak to their admission staff about your grades. They will know if you still have a chance.

Otherwise you can always speak to your teachers about re-marks if they think you don't deserve that grade.

I was okay/unhappy with my grades as well. I got a B in maths, a B in english lit, a D in economics and a D in physics.

I was really shocked about economics because i did past papers before the exams and I was one or two marks away from a B. I have been at a solid B throughout the year. So I emailed my teachers and he said that he will speak to the head of department about a re-mark.

But physics wasn't exactly a surprise since I was struggling with it a lot.

I also want to do economics or finance for university. Do you think the universities will look in depth and be concerned about my physics grade? Because I was planning to drop physics at a2 anyway. And if my economic grade doesn't change do you think universities will be worried about it as well? I mean this is a real wake up call for me and I am definitely going to give it my all for a2.

Thanks and I hope I helped you :smile:
Reply 2
I meant one or two marks away from an A. :colondollar:
Reply 3
Yeah, I think I will call them. I don't know whether or not they'll be concerned about your physics grade, it might depend on the uni.
I just hope I can do the resits in time because they m,ay have already decided on offers by that point...
Reply 4
Oh okay then.

Again you can ask them on the phone or email your teachers about your situation.
Reply 5
I had a shocker with philosophy too. It's my subject kind of thing and I got a C when I got As in mocks. What is up with AQA? So many people are getting werid results from them both ways.

Quick Reply

Latest