The Student Room Group

Little brother wants to retake all GCSEs and do an a level whilst studying level 3

Hello,

My brother did not do well in his GCSES, at all, it was a big shock frankly, one of the biggest shocks was that he was predicted an 8 in computer science but he came out with a 2. He has retaken English, so fingers crossed for the result.

Currently, he is doing Level 2 IT and has told me he wants to retake everything (apart from math, english, and science) and do a level maths on top of it whilst doing his Level 3 course. I am concerned because that seems like a lot of work, and he does seem to be struggling with his time management skills.

Is this a good idea? How can I support him?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by rosmm_
Hello,

My brother did not do well in his GCSES, at all, it was a big shock frankly, one of the biggest shocks was that he was predicted an 8 in computer science but he came out with a 2. He has retaken English, so fingers crossed for the result.

Currently, he is doing Level 2 IT and has told me he wants to retake everything (apart from math, english, and science) and do a level maths on top of it whilst doing his Level 3 course. I am concerned because that seems like a lot of work to be quite frank and he does seem to be struggling with his time management skills.

Is this a good idea? How can I support him?

That is not a sensible workload to take on. I would suggest he focuses on what is important. What does he want to do after the level 2 IT? What qualifications does he need for that.
Does he know why the GCSEs went so badly?
Reply 2
Original post by ReadingMum
That is not a sensible workload to take on. I would suggest he focuses on what is important. What does he want to do after the level 2 IT? What qualifications does he need for that.
Does he know why the GCSEs went so badly?

He wants to do BTEC Level 3 in IT and ultimately go to uni for a computer science related degree, I cant remember the specific one. He cited being under too much pressure and stress from parents as the reason why he did terribly, with the computer science exam taking him off guard greatly. I also suspect that he has anxiety, but he refuses to get help.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending