The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York: Awesome Place to Live or Tragically Depressing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aeschylus
Pretty certain Edinburgh airport does flights to Newark, and Glasgow goes to Canada definitely.

lol that's news to me as Manchester was the only one I was aware of.
University of York
York
Reply 21
safe: yes. if you're REALLY concerned, go http://www.police.uk/ and check/compare the statistics for yourself :smile:

fun: i guess this really depends on what counts as 'fun' for you..i personally like York because it has a good early/baroque music scene that suits me very well. there's a free magazine called 'your local link' that appears in my uni accommodation's mailbox every month and it always lists loads of things happening..so you might want to see it for yourself, too - http://www.yourlocallink.co.uk/

pleasing to the eye: yes, since you're okay with the campus architecture :smile: (i think the lake makes up for it, really. nothing compared to the great lakes but nice enough.)

nice people: very.

housing: never lived off-campus. uni housing is apparently on the expensive side since most people i've known move to off campus housing asap.

general vibe: i won't say york has a 'vibe' for me since i've made myself a mostly quiet, retreated life here, concentrating on my academics and music-making hobbies. but i guess the fact that i came from a totally cosmopolitan city (singapore) and then able to completely switch my lifestyle, says something about the place (or me). if you want more 'vibe', Leeds and Manchester are close by and London is 2 hours away..:smile:
Reply 22
Original post by pandoram
safe: yes. if you're REALLY concerned, go http://www.police.uk/ and check/compare the statistics for yourself :smile:

fun: i guess this really depends on what counts as 'fun' for you..i personally like York because it has a good early/baroque music scene that suits me very well. there's a free magazine called 'your local link' that appears in my uni accommodation's mailbox every month and it always lists loads of things happening..so you might want to see it for yourself, too - http://www.yourlocallink.co.uk/

pleasing to the eye: yes, since you're okay with the campus architecture :smile: (i think the lake makes up for it, really. nothing compared to the great lakes but nice enough.)

nice people: very.

housing: never lived off-campus. uni housing is apparently on the expensive side since most people i've known move to off campus housing asap.

general vibe: i won't say york has a 'vibe' for me since i've made myself a mostly quiet, retreated life here, concentrating on my academics and music-making hobbies. but i guess the fact that i came from a totally cosmopolitan city (singapore) and then able to completely switch my lifestyle, says something about the place (or me). if you want more 'vibe', Leeds and Manchester are close by and London is 2 hours away..:smile:

Just curious: How much does it cost going to London by train/bus? :smile:
Original post by Ric_94
Just curious: How much does it cost going to London by train/bus? :smile:

Depends how far you book in advance. I've got deals before to go to London for £8, but generally it's about £20-30 I think if you go on the day to Kings Cross..
york is my favorite city in the uk!
it's so historic and cute
lovely vibe
well it's certainly fun if you're a history nerd like me haha there's loads to do like the jorvik roman centre, museums, old prisons and castles
wouldn't advise if you're a big city person and wants a great nightlife though
definitely a completely different feel to cities such as liverpool where i live and london where i have also lived
i feel safe when i'm there and the shopping is surprisingly really really good
York is a medium sized city. Its about the same size as sunderland , reading , portsmouth etc. It is expanding and more houses spring up every week. It is supposed to be historical in the city centre , but alot of the outskirts are quite scummy. Theres a few rough areas that are dangerous but there mainly on the west side of the city. Overall it is an okay place but ive just moved from york to norwich. Norwich is alot nicer and but not as big. I have heard the uni in york is great and the area its in is very nice (Heslington).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending