The Student Room Group

A-level advice you would give to your younger self?

GCSE results are coming out on Thursday - which means a lot of people are going to be looking forward to starting their A-level courses next month.

Putting yourself back in their shoes - what advice would you give to your younger self ahead of going into A-levels for the first time? Add your top tips below - I'll be featuring the best on the home page. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

this.thread.has.been.done.amillion.times.

can a MOD please close this
Reply 2
DONT.DO.HISTORY!!! Its not just two more years of the Nazi's, trust me... and the essays, oh the essays....:afraid:
Original post by PopDaRouge
DONT.DO.HISTORY!!! Its not just two more years of the Nazi's, trust me... and the essays, oh the essays....:afraid:

I enjoy history... (year ten.. Done my gcse... Di'd AS exam in... Guess what, Nazi Germany! :woo: :lol:)
Please, please, for the love of God, REVISE!!!!
Don't leave revision for exams until the last few weeks and desperately cram like a mad man! :biggrin:
Start revision nice and early! :smile:
Reply 6
Alevels are not like GCSE's. You can't expect to learn the whole syllabus in a week.
Don't be distracted by the pool table at the sixth form and the gossip that occurs during my frees and instead use the free periods to actually work
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Do not have the 'I can re-sit attitude'. Do all your homework and do read around the subject. Spend a good chunk from the start of your course, going over what you've learnt in lessons. Trust me, that's one thing I've learnt from AS. It will be a massive help when exam period comes around.
Reply 9
For goodness' sake, work for AS. They're the easier modules, and they're worth the same as A2.
Reply 10
Do subjects you enjoy and are good at. If you have no interest or natural aptitude at a subject it will drag your grades down no matter how hard you work in that subject.
REVISE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, just cause you did great at GCSE doesn't mean you'll do great at A level! - What I would tell myself if I could go back to last year.
Reply 12
choose the courses you need for uni.
Original post by PopDaRouge

Not when you're doing 16th Century History :sexface:
It's sad how the majority of History is Nazi Germany
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Not when you're doing 16th Century History :sexface:
It's sad how the majority of History is Nazi Germany

It's enjoyable :tongue: :wink: I can't wait to do an A2 unit in it :biggrin:
Reply 15
Resit everything! even if you get really good marks, sometimes the difference between a getting an A and a B is 1 lousy UMS mark that you could have got my resitting exams and coursework. I resat most of my exams an got my grades from BCDE in the first year to A*AB at the end of the second year.
Reply 16
--------------------------------------------
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Ask for your brother's help sooner.
You'll get great marks if you give it your best shot. Take History, Sociology, Psychology and Economics. DO NO TAKE ENGLISH LITEATURE. Do not also try and guess what answers come up for anything because that'll cost you an A in one of your subjects.
Take maths and further maths, they're cake to revise for if you know what you're doing.

Quick Reply

Latest