The Student Room Group

Myerscough College, Preston - September 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hii! I'm annoyed with the lack of info but I think we will be getting a pack in the post. If I don't get one this week i'll be ringing them up. :smile:
Reply 21
#katherine - if you havent recieved a letter yet about accomodation then they sjould be with you by this week. as for freshers info just type in uclan freshers 2012 on facebook and you should find everything on there and other people from scough will always be up for taxi share
That's great thank you! I'll definitely be searching facebook for that. Think I shall give them a call if I don't receive any info on accommodation :smile: thanks!
Reply 23
Well like I said its not bad if you make a good friends.

From the sounds of it you might be in a more modern building called parleck, but most of the other catered is non ensuit.

And ok 15-20 In a taxi ? Still , to much.
It depends if you're a farmer and live in the middle of no where you will probably enjoy it.

If you're used to living in towns then it's certainly very different.
On a serious note though, 70 is the Internet price. And yes as a first year it's fine, but towards the end of it gets quite boring. probably becuase no one has no money as the accommodation was thought the roof.
I was desperate for a job, unfortunately , living far from the town means its quite hard!

I don't know who that third year is , but most people in third year say its crap, but generally they are the ones who love the town more.

As myerscough is part of uclan we can access uclans Uni and other sites etc... Freshens week in myercough is pretty funny, and you will enjoy it, but it does get very quiet after that. I'm sure you will have second years nagging you to go to Preston town to join in freshers week there, they have glow paint parties etc etc .

Now I sound like a geek; the teaching staff are awesome, you'll meet a tutor called mark, old years will moan about him, but hey , he's a damn good tutor and when I wanted help on assignments he's not bad. Theres no point in doing a degree if you're not aiming to get the best and he just has not got time for people who are not putting that effort in ie missing lectures. You put that effort in, and he will be good help to you.

The work experience at the animal academy, ok they charge a bomb for the Uni form, but I'm sure you can get away with buying your own black Wellington boots and black jackets. Simple lol x they are also not kind to people who think its funny to miss a day. Last year , girls were bitches, ooo look she can't do this, she can't do that. " warning " this is not a course where you can be upset if u kill a worm or slug diggin but then decide to eat a hamburger afterwards. Plus you cannot just pet rabbits and groom ponies all day. You are expected to work. They teach you to work and if you can't do it they will teach you how. Ignore people laughing. Don't show fear, don't show laziness, and take pride in doing work. Some groups are lazy, but don't worry , it all gets recorded to weather or not u pass the module. You have to speak up, get on with cleaning , and not be scared of animals. Like snakes and large crickets. Personally I hated doing the rat room, it was so boring I could die, but if you moan they record it. You have to be a team player, basically, just get on with it. The amount of people who failed this year is unreal; I know atleast ten mates. But it's a very easy module, all you need to do is try your best, smile, be friendly, and attend every Friday x

The library is a great place, computers are a bit limited, but , loan some books and do it in your room, theres nothing like really getting into an assignment, follow the bullet points on the briefs and you can't go wrong. Use about five or seven references. Never use less than five lol. Any way, you will learn this in induction week x

Generally most people are friendly and nice. Sharing your knowledge is good. And if your new friends have worked in different places listen to them, it can be helpful :smile:

Ok the lecture theatre is stuck in a 70s time warp, as is most of the college - apart from the new cafe--- personally they shuld of put a new lecture theatre----- lol
But saying this, I like retro old crap, so the time warp is pretty cool lol. The lecture theatre is a but squishy but just sit on the side seats rather than the centre. - the work material is good - infant the work material the tutors put together is excellent. The most important thing is the learning aspect and it is brilliant.... Although some will strongly disagree with me, but if you put the effort in, the tutors will certainly help you out if you ask. The library has tones of books, to reference from. and If you want good grades and I mean 90% and above just revise and read relevant material to the days lectures for about an hour a night.

And remember if you ever get bored you can go to town and access uclans library and other things. I love Preston town for shopping , it's so old looking in places , then has a nice mall, and a proper old school indoor market.

Yeah, I'm pretty enthusiastic about everything, apart from I despise room checkers, I'm someone that respects privacy and that's why I didn't want to live in September. I found my feet at myerscough halls, then it was time to leave the little nest and experience living in a city --- without being told to wash my cups and make bed.:smile: x this is only In self catered accommodation it think. Each to there own, But I'd like to think of it as a leap pad, been there done that lets try summin new . X

But definitely go to the stumble in freshers week as you will meet new flat mates and friends, and then make sure you come to Preston town for freshers , the stumble shuts at midnight , so why not carry the night on and experience two fresher worlds? Lol XD

Oh I have to admit , when there was snow, I did love walking around the canal and fields. Absolutely breath taking scenes x
Reply 24
no idea :/
Reply 25
Original post by VetNurse
no idea :/

Did u get a reply about halls of residence at the college ? X
Reply 26
hi, if you have facebook then i know the student president who is pretty cool will be starting a page/group for myerscough freshers 2012 so your best bet is to search it and he should put up everything you need to know about freshers fortnight. you may as well want to join 53 degrees su page as they update regularly.

as for the anxious part of sorting everything out the first couple of days might seem manic but on induction your tutors will tell you what you need to do.for any concerns just drop into the core near the library and they will either help you or tell you where you need to go.
Reply 27
Thank you for the replies :smile:

@Welfare, sounds really good and I can't wait loll omg reading your post made me so excited! :biggrin: :biggrin:

i'm looking forward to finding the page soon and glad that the tutors will help if things get manic lol
Reply 28
i called up about accommodation and they said there isnt any but im high up on the list of waiting so im gonna go for the st thomas halls, im sure those who already live there will help

Welfare1 do you live in the st thomas halls? i dont want to be the only student in there from myerscough lol
Reply 29
and i'm still stuck because I need £300 pound but my student finance doesnt come through until the 10th september and ill obviously have to move in before that..
Reply 30
@vet nurse

Yes im living in st thomas halls my room is 106 and my friend in 105. I dont know if you will be on the same floor as us, but you can certainly intermingle between floors etc and the party room is shared by everyone . each flat of 8-12 rooms ( only 3 flats) Has two toilet rooms, two bath/shower rooms, Either a very large kitchen dinner room, or two medium size kitchen dinner rooms, and one small living room with two sofas and a tv. Me and my mate r from myerscough, she is on the bsc version of animal welfare an i am on the foundation nursing one but i will be doing the top up year. when we signed our contract she said there is a group of girls doing equine science living on the top floor. I hope everything works out for you ,
Perhaps your parents could lend you the 300 deposit or request an overdraft from your bank ?
Thomas halls lets you pay by installments so it fits in with student finance , the first term payment goes out in october. hope this helps x
Reply 31
it did :biggrin: gonna apply for it tonight :biggrin:
Reply 32
would i be able to move in on the 8th? it says access from the 9th so i dunno
Reply 33
Anyone got one of those frshers band things or is it just for UCLan attenders?
Reply 34
You can get a freshers wrist band as you are still part of uclan.
(sorry about the caps)
Reply 35
Hiya yeah we have uclan student id as well as myerscough ID so we are classed as uclan students just as much as myerscough etc, they are partnered up or something lol .

Cool! we will see u in the flats!!!
R u on facebook?
congrats for getting everything sorted!!
Reply 36
I thought myerscough would have like told us to get a uclan freshers thing lol :c I hope they give us more information soon as we go in about a week!
I've also been given just a normal catered room now without an ensuite? :C oh well. :smile:
Reply 37
myerscough dont advertise uclan freshers much you are best just joining a uclan freshers page and look for fuzzy logic events on facebook for more info
Reply 38
yeah im on facebook

Savanna White

:smile: add me as i need friends from myerscough lol :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: so excited now!!!!!!!
Reply 39
I think it's because the college is far away, so if they advertised the freshers events students would go out to town more rather than the college pub? Plus if you live in sco and you're paying to go town all the time in a taxi and back it's gonna add up :smile: when I started last year not many freshers went to the town, but I suggest you do as its good fun. Even at the Uni club or not. It's all student friendly etc. I'm excited toooooo :smile: second year... @vet nurse.. I'll try n find you on Facebook Hun. Good luck with everything. Ps ... Did you ask for a double bed in st Thomas halls, ? No extra charge,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending