The Student Room Group

Guaranteed pass intensive course

I have failed my driving test sooo many times, been taking them for almost a year now! And I’ve had enough, I’ve wasted sooo much money on them! So after doing some research, I’ve come across, this guaranteed pass intensive course, would anyone recommend it? And roughly how much would it cost?

My instructor keeps telling me that my driving is fine, and I’m more than confident to drive after I passed, but I just get soo nervous in the test, and it doesn’t help that I did it before.

If anyone has any advice, it will be very much appreciated.
I feel your pain, I have failed a total of five driving tests and thrown away so much money on lessons. I passed the theory first time with ease and my instructor/s(I have had three-arrogantly thinking the change of instructor will get me a pass!) have all been confident that I a decent enough driver but like you I do suffer from nerves on the day of the test. So much so that on my first two tests, my hands were physically shaking and I dropped the keys when opening on the bonnet for the show me/tell me at the start of one test!:frown:

I have heard about these so-called 'guranteed pass' schemes but I am rather sceptical to say the least. Obviously they cannot gurantee a pass to anyone, because some people could take a million tests and not be pass-worthy in any single one of those tests and how does it work exactly? I mean, do you pay the driving school a ridiculously large sum up-front and then supposedly can have limitless attempts to secure a pass? Surely, it must get to a point where they say 'sorry but you've had your lot mate!'?
Reply 2
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
I feel your pain, I have failed a total of five driving tests and thrown away so much money on lessons. I passed the theory first time with ease and my instructor/s(I have had three-arrogantly thinking the change of instructor will get me a pass!) have all been confident that I a decent enough driver but like you I do suffer from nerves on the day of the test. So much so that on my first two tests, my hands were physically shaking and I dropped the keys when opening on the bonnet for the show me/tell me at the start of one test!:frown:

I have heard about these so-called 'guranteed pass' schemes but I am rather sceptical to say the least. Obviously they cannot gurantee a pass to anyone, because some people could take a million tests and not be pass-worthy in any single one of those tests and how does it work exactly? I mean, do you pay the driving school a ridiculously large sum up-front and then supposedly can have limitless attempts to secure a pass? Surely, it must get to a point where they say 'sorry but you've had your lot mate!'?

Thanks for your reply.
Hmm maybe there not as good as they claim, but I like the idea of a guaranteed pass! I’ve come tot he point where I really want to give up! But at the same time, that would mean I wasted a lot of money! I have taken my test more than five times! My siblings have all passed first or second time; I don’t know what’s wrong with me L
Original post by yaz987
Thanks for your reply.
Hmm maybe there not as good as they claim, but I like the idea of a guaranteed pass! I’ve come tot he point where I really want to give up! But at the same time, that would mean I wasted a lot of money! I have taken my test more than five times! My siblings have all passed first or second time; I don’t know what’s wrong with me L

I know the feeling too. I essentially have given up, albeit temporarily. I have decided to give the driving a break and focus on my university education(partly due to the simple fact I will not be able to afford to pay for regular lessons whilst a full-time student!). I know this means I will have to repay to retake my theory test again when I decide to take the driving back up but I'm okay(ish) with that!

If you can afford to continue, then I'd say don't give up, keep focused, stay patient and don't dwell on previous tests and I'm sure you will pass before much longer! You said that you can drive fine and your instructor knows this, if this is the case then the typical advice is to try and forget that the test is a test and is just nothing more than another lesson, treat those 45minutes as a lesson and drive just as you normally would! That is what they say anyway, bloody easier said than done and it has not worked me for yet but it may for you! lol

Good luck anyway and I hope you make the right choice for you:smile:
Reply 4
I know the feeling too. I essentially have given up, albeit temporarily. I have decided to give the driving a break and focus on my university education(partly due to the simple fact I will not be able to afford to pay for regular lessons whilst a full-time student!). I know this means I will have to repay to retake my theory test again when I decide to take the driving back up but I'm okay(ish) with that!

If you can afford to continue, then I'd say don't give up, keep focused, stay patient and don't dwell on previous tests and I'm sure you will pass before much longer! You said that you can drive fine and your instructor knows this, if this is the case then the typical advice is to try and forget that the test is a test and is just nothing more than another lesson, treat those 45minutes as a lesson and drive just as you normally would! That is what they say anyway, bloody easier said than done and it has not worked me for yet but it may for you! lol

Thank you for your advice! The last time I took a test wastoday, so I think I’ll have a break from all this today, and think about it tomorrow,with a fresh mind.
I really hope you carry on with your driving when you’reable to as well! I’m sure we both can doit!
Reply 5
There really should be a system where if you fail your test so many times that you can't retake it, or you at least have to wait a few years before you can try again, some people just aren't cut out for driving and really shouldn't be on the roads.
Reply 6
are you still allowed to take them tablets you take to calm you down on planes? they may work
Reply 7
What are the terms and conditions of the guaranteed pass course? You would still have to do the actual test with a real instructor, and they can't just bribe them to let you pass.

I think I've seen one of those sorts of schemes where basically you can have the average number of hours of driving required, then you have one shot at the test. It's not a guaranteed pass in most cases, and it's just to get more money out of you. You'll then have to pay extra for any hours over the ones you needed to pass the test.

Really read deep into the terms and conditions for that sort of thing, it could be nasty for you.

Personally, I would advise you to take a break from your driving for a few weeks or months and go back into it with a clearer mind. You might just be panicking yourself with the thought of failing again. Is your driving instructor really good, or could you look at working with a different one? Ask the fundamental questions as to why you're failing and work from there. These rapid schemes and intensive courses are just dangerous in my mind... They'll tire you out and the skills will not sink in fully. I took a lesson every week, because I knew that I would learn the skills fully - It wouldn't just be in my most recent memory, but I would physically remember how to drive.

Definitely take some time out. Yes, there is medicine out there to calm you down - Just ensure it does not make you drowsy or is against any driving rules out there.
Reply 8
Original post by yaz987
My instructor keeps telling me that my driving is fine, and I’m more than confident to drive after I passed, but I just get soo nervous in the test, and it doesn’t help that I did it before.

If your driving is fine and its just your nerves on the test that let you down, i fail to see what more lessons will achieve.
Reply 9
YAY FINNALY PASSED TODAY!!!! OVER THE MOON!!

didn't do the intensive course in the end!
Reply 10

i didn't give up, and i finnaly passed! thanks for your advise! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending